PDA

View Full Version : 3G download limitations - But Why?

The_Hawk
11th March 2011, 09:58 AM
Why oh why do we still have limitations on the size of podcasts and the like that can be downloaded over 3G?... yet I can tether another iPhone to mine over WiFi and download whatever I like?

Why oh why isn't this simply a carrier option just like tethering itself?

/RANT

mmulhern
11th March 2011, 10:22 AM
Yes, I agree. With wifi hotspot in the latest iOS release (so I can have connectivity for iPad and Laptop on the road) I thought the last reason to jailbreak (MyWi) had been removed, but no, "3G Unrestrictor" is still needed to so that I can download/listen/watch whatever I want, whenever I want, on my phone.

The_Hawk
11th March 2011, 11:05 AM
I'm all for a toggle so you can keep your limitations if that's what you want or so you can have your low quality Youtube... but for the love all things Steve let's just ditch the limitations completely.

Alec Fraser
11th March 2011, 01:37 PM
I'd guess that the download restrictions are all due to the agreements with the telcos and aren't there for any practical reason. I doubt that it's the Australian telcos that are the issue, most of the limitations around what you can do with 3G surely come from AT&T cos their network is so shit. It was probably too much of a pain in the arse to make iOS behave one way on AT&T and a different way on other networks.

The_Hawk
11th March 2011, 02:08 PM
Granted it's not worth fixing something for one market, but there is already a toggle (which can be set by the carrier) to enable tethering, you could tie this functionality to that toggle if you didn't want to create another toggle... but lets face it, it's all much the same sort of requirement.

I should also add that face time is still a WiFi only thing... unless of course your running an iPhone tethered via WiFi to another iPhone using 3G :S

Joey1983
12th March 2011, 06:39 AM
I'd say it was originally implemented to keep AT&T happy due to their unlimited data plans (do they still even offer this?)
Either way, it should really be a carrier setting, not a system wide restriction...