PDA

View Full Version : Engadget's iPad 2 review is up! Discussion

benerrol
10th March 2011, 12:23 PM
And it looks like its mostly all good news, except for the camera, but i expected that. Why on earth would anybody want to use an iPad as a still camera anyway.

I notice that commenters are already flaming Josh for giving it a 9 out of 10, i guess they dont realise that good products get high scores. It will be great to see what iOS5 brings to this amazing piece of hardware.

iPad 2 review -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/ipad-2-review/)

maclab
10th March 2011, 01:20 PM
Josh has an android v apple war in full scale over there, its a shame, so many wankers

Alec Fraser
10th March 2011, 01:24 PM
Wait, you actually read the comments on gadget blogs?! Seriously, there's never anything useful to be found in the comments section on Engadget or pretty much any gadget blog.

As for the review, I think it's pretty much spot on in terms of how I feel about the iPad vs iPad 2 and the comments about the other tablets on (and yet to hit) the market.

benerrol
10th March 2011, 02:04 PM
It was interesting to see that there were no notes about the white bezel being distracting, fingers crossed this was intentional and not an oversight, i really think a white iPad 2 will be sweet as.

Fitshaced
10th March 2011, 02:48 PM
The cameras are the killer. Its like adding a toy steering wheel to a ferrari. If they took the cameras off and changed the name to iPad S, I think it would get better reviews. I dont think this will sell anywhere close to what the iPad 1 did.

Erwin
10th March 2011, 03:11 PM
I'm not so sure that the cameras are "the killer" - as long as you can use it as a webcam for skype/ facetime purposes, no one would really seriously use a tablet as a still/video camera normally.

supafly
10th March 2011, 03:25 PM
After watching some of the video they made with it I am happy with what it produces. Ill be using it when I go to Japan soon and I think it will suffice for video.

Alec Fraser
10th March 2011, 04:01 PM
I agree with Erwin, it'd be impractical to use the iPad to shoot video/take stills. But if you could import video shot on your iPhone 4 and edit it in iMovie on the iPad that'd be perfect. What'd be even better is if you could import videos from a camera/SD card using the ipad camera kit as well.

aaronja87
10th March 2011, 07:33 PM
I like it, I'll be getting a black one.
I didn't get the iPad 1 so this is an easy decision for me now that it's a little faster.
As said above, the camera is neither here nor there for most people (myself included), I used the iPhone 4 for video when traveling and it'll remain that way.
Can't wait to have one in my hands.

Ecto1
10th March 2011, 08:39 PM
I knew the camera would be a big let down in reviews, not that I care. I'm still wondering why they bothered. I guess it was manly for their push with facetime. I still plan to buy one ether way and the more I think about it the more I'm thinking of getting a white one.

sobie2000
10th March 2011, 10:09 PM
They should have omitted the rear camera keeping only a single camera for facetime. I am just happy for the faster processor and 512mb memory. Less browser crashing.

LithgowLights
11th March 2011, 01:24 PM
I honestly expected a better camera, but it does not really worry me as all I'll be using it for is facetime on occasion. The additional speed is nice, but I would have preferred the option of a complete cover from Apple as I dont really like the new cover designs, but I'll get one for now till something better comes along (or a hard back cover arrives that fits with the new front covers

johnq
11th March 2011, 01:52 PM
I have an iPad. I can only see one reason for ANY camera on an iPad 2 - facetime (or skype etc). I can accept that you might want to be chatting to someone on Facetime and would like to "show" them something that you are looking at ("look Mum, you Grandchild is crawling"). As for using it as a "real" camera - forget it. Given the likely usage, the cameras on the device are easily good enough. Why on earth the techie journos get SO excited over spec numbers is beyond me - lazy journalism I guess.