PDA

View Full Version : How do you migrate your stuff when you upgrade your HDD?

gymnast79
9th March 2011, 06:57 PM
Is there any application to help me move all my stuff to a new hard disk without
having to install all the programs etc?

Thanks guys :cool:

skyhawkmatthew
9th March 2011, 07:08 PM
Incidentally, I just installed my new SSD this evening... I used Carbon Copy Cloner (bombich.com) to clone the contents of my old hard disk to the new drive. For best results, start the computer up off another drive and do the clone from there.

Marcsteel
16th March 2011, 04:53 PM
I've done this several times and always used the install disk then via utilities restored from backup.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

I should add that I use time machine so have an external HDD backup of my MacBook.

bennyling
16th March 2011, 04:57 PM
If I'm being particularly lazy I do a migration using Migration Assistant or when you first boot the computer, but with every new major (i.e. 10.6, 10.7) version of the OS I'll do a clean-install and manually migrate across all the stuff I actually need.

soulman
16th March 2011, 05:14 PM
If I'm just replacing hardware, i.e. I'm not tying to get rid of any software cruft or issues, I just clone the disk I'm replacing using something like Carbon Copy Cloner and then restore that to the new disk. No mess, no fuss.

glacierdave
16th March 2011, 06:28 PM
A slightly different take but I'm currently working on being less dependant on single computer.

Strategies include using DropBox for my important data (now automatically replicated to 3 computers); MobileMe for email, calendar, contacts and Safari stuff; using App Store apps as a preference so re-installs are fairly easy; using Automator actions to deal with syncing some larger datasets that don't easily fit with using DropBox (e.g. iTunes).

It's still a work-in-progress but my aim is to reach a point where having a single computer fail doesn't actually reduce my productivity much.

It helps to have multiple computers and I'm still not intending to skimp on backups (each computer has it's own Time Machine backup going and I'm periodically doing image backups to a server on my network).

The final aim is that I won't have to migrate again - all I'll do is set up my profile and then wait while everything re-syncs (either cloud or over LAN).

Hmm, probably a fair series of articles when I've got it all figured out.

David

bartron
16th March 2011, 07:44 PM
I'm currently doing just this but on a larger scale and using superduper

I have 4 1tb external drives, one of which is 2x500gb RAID 0.

I recently bought 2 2gb drives and am doing the following
Backing up 2 standalone 1tb drives to 1 2tb drive. The 1tb drives are being removed from their enclosures and being set aside. The 2tb drive goes into one of the enclosures.
The the 3rd 1tb drive is backed up with super duper to the 2nd 2tb drive and installed in the other free enclosure.
The 2x500gb raid is already backed up to the 3rd drive (reason the 3rd drive exists) so I pull out the 2x500gb and install the two 1tb drives above making a 2tb RAID 0 and duplicate the data from the 3rd drive back onto it.

End result is I go from 4 1tb drives to 3 2tb drives, a spare 1tb drive and two 500gb drives. All done with super duper which has the advantage of maintaining the spotlight index. I also use super duper on a nightly schedule to backup my main data drive (the raid 0) which has, among other things, my Lightroom library. If one of the disks dies everything will still work as-is off the backup.

At 1hr per 100gb it's going to take a few days to get it all done (about 30 hours)

Tzortst
19th March 2011, 04:35 PM
I did this recently, when I went from the standard HDD to an SSD,

Put the SSD in a USB adapter which I already had, used carbon copy cloner, merged all the data over, swapped the drives out and was done. Piss easy, didn't take very long either, if you don't have a USB encloser/dock then might be a little harder.

I have something like this, Vantec NexStar USB 2.0 eSATA Dock NST-D100SU [NST-D100SU-BK] - $39.00 : PC Case Gear (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_288&products_id=15320)

Angsty
19th March 2011, 08:01 PM
I did this recently, when I went from the standard HDD to an SSD,

Put the SSD in a USB adapter which I already had, used carbon copy cloner, merged all the data over, swapped the drives out and was done. Piss easy, didn't take very long either,.....

See, this is the point where I need the above steps broken down into *much* smaller baby steps, with screen shots if possible.... :confused:

Ang
(currently upgrading NAS from 2 x 1TB to 2 x 2TB - halfway through repairing the first volume)

MissionMan
19th March 2011, 08:55 PM
You can use Carbon Copy or SuperDuper. I prefer SuperDuper. Its really as simple as putting your drive in an external house and then selecting the option Backup all files. Most of the cloner apps don't have a whole heap of options.

1. Put drive in external housing
2. Open SuperDuper/CCC
3. Copy drive
4. If you have a firewire drive you can test the copy by booting from the drive before you swap drives
5. Swap the external drive to your machine
6. Reset PRAM

stewiesno1
21st March 2011, 08:56 AM
I have most of my data on another drive so I don't clone or migrate that over to a new boot drive.
I prefer to manually install the OS and most of my apps from their original CD/DVDs.
Jut my personal preference after having used both of the above cloning apps and running into a few problems afterwards.
Things like email and bookmarks I backup then transfer them over manually as well.
I find I go through and delete a ton of stuff beforehand so that doesn't get transferred over.

Stewie