PDA

View Full Version : Adding Movies To iTune

designers_hub
30th October 2005, 11:11 PM
How do you have it so that when you add music the files are copied to your music folder and when you add a video file it just links it and doesn't copy the file over?

i want to add files from my external drives to itune so i can watch them but i don't want them copied over to the main drive.

helloroto
30th October 2005, 11:43 PM
I too would like to know, why didn't they program it to take Videos and Movies from the MOVIES folder?? ;) ;)

downsys
30th October 2005, 11:56 PM
can i just ask the advantage of using itunes over quicktime when playing movies through an external drive? :-S

helloroto
31st October 2005, 12:17 AM
ummm how about using 1 app instead of 2?

downsys
31st October 2005, 12:33 AM
is it really a bother, double clicking a file and have it opened by quicktime?

The Fluffy Duck
31st October 2005, 12:35 AM
they only like .mov and .mpeg

No I have no issues with apple tryiing to force everybody onto one universal filetype but in the meantime can itunes have .avi support. I have so many avi's I wish that itunes could play.

andrewcod
31st October 2005, 12:36 AM
One way is to keep the settings in iTunes for copying files into your library when they're being imported the same. However, this will also be the same for movies. So, the only way I know of to get partially around this is to save the movie files in Quicktime as reference video files, not self contained video files. This way, although the linked movie files will be copied to your music folder, they will take up almost no space on your main hard drive anyway which I think is your goal.