PDA

View Full Version : G4 iBook Crashing ALOT

plunkotica
30th October 2005, 08:13 PM
I've had my G4 12" iBook for a couple of weeks now, and all of a sudden the other night I was sitting on the couch, doing some chatting when my airport connection dropped out. The system froze shortly after so I did a power off, and rebooted the laptop.

After rebooting my airport icon had disappeared from up the top, and I had no way to turn it back on via System Prefs, as it said I had no airport hardware installed!

So I went and plugged in a network cable so I could google the problem, and low and behold the airport icon came back after I reset again.

But now, since this happened, the system has been crashing at least twice every single time I turn on the laptop, I get maybe 5 minutes use out of it before everything freezes. Sometimes I can't even login, I will type two chars and it will lock.

Any ideas? Should I just take it back and get someone else to sort it out at the apple shop?

jbillett
30th October 2005, 08:35 PM
When you say it freezes, do you mean the grey screen of death? The one with the big power button?
I had alot of trouble with kernel panics (grey screens) when I first got my PowerBook caused by faulty third party RAM.

plunkotica
30th October 2005, 08:39 PM
No grey screen, it just freezes. Can't move the mouse, or use the keyboard etc. No programs responding and so forth.

I tried repairing the disk permissions just now, but that seemed to do nothing. I managed about 2 minutes before it froze again.

jbillett
30th October 2005, 08:47 PM
Are you able to open the Activity Monitor before such a freeze happens, and watch it? It may give you an indication as to what process may be grinding things to a halt.

I'd also run a full Apple Hardware test to see if the physical side of things is all ok.

Rayd
30th October 2005, 08:57 PM
i'f you cant end up fixing it, you should send it in for repairs at your nearest applecentre, you dont have warrenty for nothing :)

ialienam
30th October 2005, 09:36 PM
I have my ibook for a week now..
Working good.. but been a bit slow in last few days, which I think is understandable

I have my wallpaper changed every 15 minutes, and active the photo desktop which
all would take up some resources.

But would work o.k

icant
30th October 2005, 10:06 PM
Things you can do which are simple. Choose to do one or many. List not exhaustive:

Remove add-on RAM temporarily. Test.
Make sure internal Airport antenna cable is secure.
Reset pram or nvram whatever.
Fsck hard disk.
Create a new account temporarily. Test. OR:
Format and reinstall.

At least you have a backup of your hard disk.

Goodbye
30th October 2005, 10:15 PM
This happened to me once a while ago, the iBook would crash every few minutes. The problem with mine was the Airport Card wasn't seated correctly. Removing it and putting back in securely fixed the problem.

xsive
1st November 2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by plunkotica@Oct 30 2005, 08:13 PM
and low and behold the airport icon came back after I reset again.

Any ideas? Should I just take it back and get someone else to sort it out at the apple shop?
'lo and behold! damnit, 'lo and behold! "low" makes no sense :P

Anyway, I'd take it back. That's what warranty's for.

plunkotica
23rd December 2005, 12:43 AM
update:

the ibook ended up going back to the service department F I V E times. on the fourth time they replaced the logic board, and it fixed the problem. i still dont understand why they just didnt give me a new one, practically replaced everything in there. ram/airport+bluetooth/logicboard.

and it was less than 2 months old.

anyway, all fixed now and it works a treat.

Bolt
23rd December 2005, 04:39 AM
I'm surprised it went back so many times, most warranties have a "lemon" policy, and after the 3rd time it qualifies to be a lemon. Anyway, glad to hear its working for you.