PDA

View Full Version : Glossy vs matt - any regrets?

Hamster
7th March 2011, 06:06 PM
After deciding whether to go for a matte or a glossy screen, does anyone here regret their decision?

Is there anyone who bought a glossy and now wishes they'd purchased a matte?

I'm finding this a very hard decision to make!

H.

gehenna
7th March 2011, 06:33 PM
Glossy for years, no regrets.

recd
7th March 2011, 06:48 PM
mattefor MBP, no regrets so far.

grfxninja
7th March 2011, 07:11 PM
Iíve had both (currently gloss) but I prefer the matt finish only because of glare in my office

glacierdave
7th March 2011, 07:15 PM
I've had glossy screens for the past few years (both PC and Mac) and rarely have cause for any issues with my normal use.

David

mjankor
7th March 2011, 07:22 PM
I prefer the matt for clarity, but I prefer the glossy for cleaning.

Tricky call. I generally choose the glossy unless I know I'm going to be using it in a terrible spot all the time.

MissionMan
7th March 2011, 07:34 PM
Had both, would take the matt any day of the week.

MacTime
7th March 2011, 07:36 PM
Love glossy. Use my MBP outdoors all the time, and while I can see some reflections it doesn't bother me. Slightly changing the angle of the screen usually fixes it.

skyhawkmatthew
7th March 2011, 07:37 PM
Happy enough with the glossy - was the only option when I got my 15" MBP in 2009 so I really didn't get a choice :)

NILcorp
7th March 2011, 09:57 PM
Matte is my choice only because I edit photos and need colour accuracy. I also spend a lotta time outdoors so matte it is!

dotnet
7th March 2011, 11:44 PM
Definitely matte. My only regret is that it is *still* a extra cost option.

Cheers
Steffen.

Angsty
8th March 2011, 08:47 AM
I have a matte and a glossy and I much prefer the matte screen. The glossy becomes annoying at work as I find myself scrunching dwn and leaning in awkward positions to avoid the glare of the office lights on the screen. 8 hours per day of a glossy screen in an office environment gives me a head ache and a neck ache!

mitty
8th March 2011, 10:59 AM
Glossy is awesome. So much easier to keep clean. Would never go back to Matte if at all possible. People complain about reflections etc but I rarely have a problem with that.

beattz
8th March 2011, 11:21 AM
Given that I don't have a problem with cleanliness, I don't regret my matte optioned 2011 MBP.

I often find myself in situations where I have no control over the direction of light sources, so I'm glad to have a reflection-free screen. I also do colour-critical work, so the accuracy of the matte screen is a requirement.

soulman
8th March 2011, 11:32 AM
I often find myself in situations where I have no control over the direction of light sources, so I'm glad to have a reflection-free screen. I also do colour-critical work, so the accuracy of the matte screen is a requirement.I use only desktop monitors at the moment, which are matte, but I'm going to be getting an MBP soon and need to make this choice myself. What I don't understand about this debate generally is how gloss screens can be considered to be so inherently inaccurate (not to mention impractical) when they have the same surface as the CRT monitors we once all used. The last place LCDs conquered was with those of us who need accurate colour.

Are glossy screens impossible to calibrate properly? Is there some other issue with them that precludes their use in critical applications? Are there any photographers here who do use glossy screens?

sobie2000
8th March 2011, 08:10 PM
Have owned both, prefer glossy but I don't use it in an environment which glare is an issue.