PDA

View Full Version : setting up mac pro ethernet

kingy
27th February 2011, 10:57 PM
Hi guys,

did a search on google and forum with no luck... maybe im not searching correctly.

my setup.
mac pro with 2 ethernet connections (non gigabit)
netgear readyduo nas (gigabit)
netgear router (non gigabit)

now i know that if i would like to maximise the data transfer then i will have to upgrade the mac pro and router to support the gigabit NAS. i was wondering if its possible for me to setup the ethernet on the mac pro so that 1 ethernet is for the internet and other for home networking.

is it going to make much difference? if so what are the steps on doing this?

thanks! :)

Byrd
28th February 2011, 07:13 AM
Mac Pros have always had gigabit ethernet, so perhaps you could plug the NAS into one port, and the router in another. If you're going to use the NAS over a wireless network (via your router), 802.11n is nice, but not essential - both wireless standards are much slower than a wired connection.

kingy
1st March 2011, 12:54 PM
wow... didnt realise that all mac pros come with gigabit ethernet! good news! so best would be to upgrade my router to a gigabit and 802.11n router yeah?

my other question is i would like the use the NAS for the devices like playstation, tv and etc. if i had the NAS plugged onto my mac pro, will the playstation detect the NAS through my mac pro?

IF not, then i will connect the NAS to the router. which means my mac pro will have a spare ethernet plug (with one plugged into the router). is it possible to connect 2 ethernet cables from my mac pro to the router? dedicating 1 plug for internet and 1 for file sharing? (sounds stupid) :S

soulman
1st March 2011, 03:50 PM
Yep, get a gigabit switch and plug the NAS into it. You may be able to get it to work the other way but it's not a good way of doing it. Don't connect two ethernet cables from the router to the Pro either. No point - it doesn't work the way that you think it does.

kingy
1st March 2011, 09:00 PM
sweet... thanks heaps for the advice... now all i need is to find a gigabit router... thinking of going for the linksys E4200 when i leave for the states in 3 weeks... was thinking of going with netgear wndr3700 but it didnt do well with the file transfer according to CNET Australia....

kingy
3rd March 2011, 11:10 AM
alright i have an issue now... im planning to go wireless... my mac pro is the 2008 model... called up apple and asked for adding airport extreme wireless card to it and was told they dont sell them anymore... told me to get them off ebay instead... tried ebay and nothing there.

does anyone know where i can get a good reliable airport extreme wireless card for mac pro 2008 model?

harryb2448
3rd March 2011, 11:51 AM
This is the one for you:-

Macbook/MacBook Pro/iMac/Mac Pro Airport Extreme Card n (eBay item 150428409900 end time 24-Mar-11 14:17:57 AEDST) : Computers Networking (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Macbook-MacBook-Pro-iMac-Mac-Pro-Airport-Extreme-Card-n-/150428409900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23063b602c)

For the inexperienced they can be awkward fitting. Suggest double it up with an Bluetooth card as they go in close to one another.

Give Netgear a miss - my card works with a Linskys modem/router very nicely and faster than a Netgear 802.11n modem.

kingy
3rd March 2011, 12:14 PM
cheers harry! :)

harryb2448
4th March 2011, 06:51 AM
And for what it is worth kingy, local Apple reseller wanted $200 for that card and a $100 for fitting.