PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Battery

hawker
6th August 2004, 08:19 AM
hey Guys,

slightly dumb question, but so many stories going around, want to find out the deal about laptop battries (my 12" powerbook should be here this arvo) and I need to know about the inital charge.

Some people say, it comes slightly charged, you should run that down and then fully charge it, and some say, it doesn't come charged at all and you should fully charge it from the offset. What's the best way to get the fullest possible charge out of the battery?

Also, despite what Apple says about the 12" powerbook battery lasting 6hours, how long can I really expect out of it (just doing day to day, word, internet surfing, bit of photoshop etc)?

cheers,

Cam
6th August 2004, 08:24 AM
You get a little slip thingy with instructions in the box...

OziMac
6th August 2004, 11:36 AM
Lots of threads on the at Macrumors - go to the forums and do a search and you will find plenty of info...

... but as far as I've discovered...

The Rev A 12" got about 3.5 hours on average use, the Rev B got 4 hours and the Rev C can get 4.5 hours regularly on average use.

Try downloading XCharge from Versiontracker and monitor your battery usage under different settings / uses and you will soon have a feel for what kind of time your battery and uses will give you.

Quamen
6th August 2004, 04:35 PM
4.5 hours sounds about right for my 12".

The battery should come slightly charged. Because the type of battery used loses cells when completely depleated.

pipsqeek
8th August 2004, 03:04 PM
My G3 900MHz 12" iBook gets me through the day at TAFE.

8:00am to 10:30am Notes.

10:30am to 11:00am Sleep. Morning tea

11:00am - 12:30pm Notes.

12:30pm to 1:15pm Sleep. Lunch

1:15pm to 3:30pm Notes.

Total time used: 6hrs 15mins.

Since its unplugged, it runs on Reduced CPU. The LCD is at half briliance. Only really using TextEdit for note taking, which doesn't use any CPU at all.

If I have iTunes running, I might get 4.5hrs or so. its funny watching the other students with Dells and other PC's. Running like roaching in the light, looking for a power point before morning tea.

Steve

baggss
8th August 2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Aug 8 2004, 03:04 PM

10:30am to 11:00am Sleep. Morning tea

I know this is OT, bit Is this and English/European (or should I say non American) thing. The Spanish do the same thing, but it's Coffee instead of tea...

pipsqeek
8th August 2004, 05:41 PM
yes, same thing.

A small break in the morning, before Siesta

Except Sleep in this case meant the iBook was in Sleep mode. Using very little battery life.

Which I also would like to add. the iBook was in sleep more for 8 days before I got it back from the Service Centre. It was turned off the time it was worked on obviously. (For those that don't know, it was a logic board replacement)

Steve