PDA

View Full Version : installing tiger from a dmg image

Jimbo
29th October 2005, 11:08 AM
Ok so, my housemates computer does not have a dvd rom drive, and after buying tiger for our machines we decide to install his first uh oh, its on dvd and his imac g3 has only a cd drive... alas. its just for mucking around anyway, but is there a way i can install tiger over a network using a dmg file, or can i put the dmg file or image on my firewire hard drive and use that in some way? help us out...

Jim
ps happy birthday disko

oliyoung
29th October 2005, 11:38 AM
I've had success this way, with another mac, insert the tiger cd in the drive and reboot that machine into "Target Disk Mode" (Hold T on boot), plug that mac into the iMacG3 and both the mac and it's CD/DVD drive should appear on the desktop, from there you can reboot the G3 into Tiger install;

You could do the reverse, boot the G3 into Target Disk, mount that on other desktop and install Tiger on it.

You could also expand the disk image onto the firewire drive and boot from that, but the disk image has to be the only thing on the drive.

of course if you had a spare OS X server around you could NetBoot from that :D

bullrout
29th October 2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by oliyoung@Oct 29 2005, 11:38 AM

You could do the reverse, boot the G3 into Target Disk, mount that on other desktop and install Tiger on it.

I did it this way from my eMac to my iMac G3 & it worked perfectly.

JimWOz
29th October 2005, 09:35 PM
Search for some other threads on this Jimbo, there are a few.
You can clone a tiger system from an installation on your firewire HD if the iMac has Firewire, otherwise use a USB HD. Install tiger onto the HD from a DVD capable mac, then clone onto the iMac using Carbon Copy cloner, Super Duper or the unix ditto command with terminal.
If the iMac has firewire then using it in Target disk mode connected to a DVD capable mac, as said earlier, is the simple solution.