PDA

View Full Version : Imac G3 upgrade

americankid2011
24th February 2011, 12:38 PM
Hello imac users, I have an imac g3 running mac o 8.6 it is purple and a tray loader. I want to get it on Mac OS x Tiger, but I have to upgrade the ram and the hard drive, when I get a new hard drive can I just put the mac OS x tiger CD in or are their other protocols I have to follow?

mmulhern
24th February 2011, 12:57 PM
You will need to ensure that you are at the correct firmware level to successfully upgrade to OSX. Have a look at Mac OS X: Available firmware updates (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395?viewlocale=en_US) and it will show which firmware you need. You will probably need to upgrade from MOS8.6 to MOS9.1+ for the firmware updater to work.

Check out LowEndMac Bringing G3 iMacs and Other G3 Macs into the Tiger Age (http://lowendmac.com/macdan/md07/1207.html) this article gives an overview of what you need to look out for. There are many other good articles on LowEndMac, and is a must read/visit site for owners of older Macintoshes.

My G3-233 Bondi Blue iMac is running OSX 10.3.9 without any problems, and boots into MOS9.2.2 as well.

Have fun, and welcome to the wonderful world of the older Macintosh.

americankid2011
25th February 2011, 12:02 PM
thank you very much, I have looked into it and I'm considering the upgrade.

Byrd
25th February 2011, 12:40 PM
Remember you need an iMac equipped with Firewire (and a DVD drive) to install 10.4; if not, the XPostFacto utility can make it happen, but is fiddly.

JimWOz
26th February 2011, 06:13 AM
Remember you need an iMac equipped with Firewire (and a DVD drive) to install 10.4; if not, the XPostFacto utility can make it happen, but is fiddly.

You might have trouble if your tray loader drive is only a CD (like my g3 333), not a DVD. - Tiger was on a DVD as standard retail.

Two other ways:
Remove the drive from the iMac and put it into either another PPC architecture machine or an external enclosure and install via the other machine, then reinstall the drive. You are going to crack open the case to upgrade the RAM anyhow.

Partition the disk, and install 10.3.9 on one small partition, then clone a 10.4 install onto the other partition using either a 10.3 compatible version of Carbon Copy Cloner, or by using the Unix ditto command direct from terminal. - The copy will be slow, from a USB external drive though, as the older g3's only have USB 1.1.

There are other issues too. The older iMacs only address up to 120G of HD space, and the boot partition needs to be less than 8G in size. You can either live with these, but there are some other ways around it. I live with it, and just have the user directory, apps and VM on the larger partition, keeping the OS on the <8G one.

stewiesno1
27th February 2011, 02:17 PM
Further to what the lads above have said - in particular JimWoz

You might have trouble if your tray loader drive is only a CD (like my g3 333), not a DVD. - Tiger was on a DVD as standard retail.
Tiger mostly came on DVD but also comes on CD but is quite a bit rarer to come by although the CDs do appear on ebay from time to time.
Otherwise installing it is by one of the methods outlined before.

Stewie