PDA

View Full Version : tranfering music IPOD - Mac

Turps
5th August 2004, 08:11 PM
I have just got a new computer (IMAC G4) and want to transfer my tunes across. Cant use the old computer link up as it was an old PIII that fried itself. So is it possible to do the transfer. Cos I aint game to connect it for fear of losing all my current tunes.

Turps

LCGuy
7th August 2004, 04:13 PM
Dumb question: You turned auto-sync off, didn't you?

yinyang
7th August 2004, 06:50 PM
yeah turn off the auto sync and use a 3rd party app like iPod2Mac or iPodRip...

http://www.daniele.ch/downloads.html

http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/software/ipodrip.php

Turps
18th August 2004, 09:15 PM
Sorry about the late update.
I ended up doing abit of a net search and found IPODBroswer and it seemed to work all right. There was 4500songs on it and it did lose some in the transfer (ended up with 3200). So now I just have to work out which songs they where and then go find the cd. I have worked out what some of the songs where and I aint real upset that I lost them (never let your brother borrow you ipod - they put really crap music on it).

Turps

Ozi
18th August 2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Turps@Aug 18 2004, 09:15 PM
I have worked out what some of the songs where and I aint real upset that I lost them (never let your brother borrow you ipod - they put really crap music on it).
That is surely up there next to "always use protection" and "look out for the drop-bears!" as most important hints of all time!!!! LOL

tangentially, have any NSW or Queenslanders seen the hilarious Bundeberg ad with the "drop bear" and the swedish backpackers! :lol: awesome ad. I will see if i can find it online....

EDIT: http://www.bundabergrum.com.au/stuff_commercials.html "Chopper" and "phone" are both good. Also, I couldn;t find the "Drop-bears" ad, but I am looking.

Am I good or what at derailing topics! :lol: I think I should be "official Appletalk distractor" :P

jameso
23rd August 2004, 11:53 AM
That drop bear add was one of the funnest things i've seen on TV, it was a while ago now but since i spend about the same amount of time watching TV as i do intergalactic traveling (basically none) it was recent in my mind.

Also, had to do this recently, had too move my songs from a 15 gig 3rd gen ipod too a ipod mini. I also lost some songs, i figured it was to do with there strange/long names but wasn't sure. In the end i just found it easier to start fresh and recreate my play lists.

EDIT: isn't it funny how badly i misspelt "funniest"

Jazzap
8th November 2004, 10:58 PM
Hi all,

A variation on a theme......

I have previosuly been running iTunes on a PC and have downloaded my tunes to my iPod from there.

I have finally gone over onto a Mac and am now looking to move my songs from my PC to my Mac.

Is is possible to simply download my tunes from my iPod onto a new computer? I have been told by Apple I have to do a factory restore on the iPod before I can use it on the new computer. Does anyone know of a way round this?

Cheers,

zefi
8th November 2004, 11:53 PM
When you format your iPod initially using a windows PC it will utilise a different HDD file structure the Fat32 System, while the Mac uses HFS+. Since the mac is that great unity machine that plays friendly with unfriendly windows protocols, you can still use it no problems with iTunes.

However, since Apple has some security steps set up - you can only sync your music collection from only one computer to the iPod; it is essentially an anti-piracy measure. As meritorious as this is of Apple, it is an annoyance to legitimate owners of the music on their iPod.

What if your computer went cactus along with all your music and your iPod is essentially the back up copy? Using Apple's method, your music would be wiped and you would have to start again - tre-uncool, if you are forced to re-rip your 100s of CD's again!!

So what you need is a program that will allow you to move music off your iPod onto your mac. There are some that you must pay for, others that are free. One such program is ipod2mac - a free, light weight program that allows you to do just that. The interface is not as intuitive as other programs, but it is free. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13166

The other option is to either network your PC and Mac and dump your music files onto your mac. Also with these options you may want to consider whether you want to reformat your iPod's HDD using either HFS+ or keeping it Fat32 - the benefit of keeping it on the Fat32 system is that if you have windoze pc's at work, you can turn your iPod into a portable hard drive.

I hope this helps...

Jazzap
9th November 2004, 07:04 AM
Thanks Zefi. That is very informative and very helpful.

p53
9th November 2004, 07:12 AM
You don't really have to use apps/utilities to download songs from iPod to PC.
In PC you go to folder options and tick the view hidden files option. Then connect your iPod, making sure to put it in disk mode and open a folder I think it's called iPod_control or something, it's not too hard to find.
On Mac, viewing hidden files isn't quite as straight forward. I use an applescript to do it. TinkerTool (freeware) which you can download from versiontracker.com also has the option to view hidden files.

p53
9th November 2004, 07:19 AM
Also forgot to say when you connect the iPod make sure you hold down ctrl+alt+shift (I think) in Windows and in Mac I think it's ctrl-opt-cmd