PDA

View Full Version : New Macbook Pros

tcimac
21st February 2011, 06:37 PM
So, Macrumors is fairly confident that the new Macbook Pros will be launched this Thursday.

Click here (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/20/new-macbook-pros-in-stock-next-week-bestbuy-part-numbers/)

rav3n
21st February 2011, 09:49 PM
Sounds plausable, although whilst enquiring about a new mac a friend that works at the robina apple store this morning told me they are expecting a sealed pallet from apple sometime this week and that I should wait until the first week of march. Also possibly on the cards is a new iMac, although slightly outdated see here (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/12/15/redesigned_macbook_pro_imac_may_come_in_first_half _of_2011.html)

Black Flame
21st February 2011, 10:23 PM
Rumoured to have Light Peak, too!

LevMac
22nd February 2011, 01:43 PM
Not too sure how true this is....

Twitter / 9to5mac (http://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/39884270541611008)

tcimac
22nd February 2011, 06:28 PM
Aprt from the Sandy Bridge chipset and the Light Peak (according to Black Flame).

What else is rumoured to have changed. I assume with the new chipset the 13" will have an i3 processor. Any news on SSD drives??

EDIT: Just read this (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/21/new-macbook-pros-to-carry-larger-trackpads-dedicated-ssd-for-mac-os-x/)

rav3n
22nd February 2011, 06:53 PM
The chassis has been supposedly redesigned, i guess to accomodate light peak. Other then that, maybe the lcd panels get an update to include higher resolutions?

LevMac
22nd February 2011, 07:21 PM
Im thinking this is gonna be an all new design and new internals ?

Apple have released the new current design iMac without holding a special event, and was all posted online together with the new Magic Mouse, so it could be a possibility...

rav3n
22nd February 2011, 09:26 PM
From here (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/new-macbook-pro2011.html)

the current Mac OS X Snow Leopard operating system is expected to be switched with Mac OS X Lion (version 10.7) operating system. Similarly, highly placed sources also suggest that Apple will do away with optical drives in the new Macbook Pro 2011

tom5955
22nd February 2011, 09:55 PM
What? Lion isn't coming out now...

benerrol
23rd February 2011, 11:21 AM
Seems MacRumors have the new specs;

MacBook Pro Specs Leaked? SSD, Better Battery, New Technology? - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/22/macbook-pro-specs-leaked-ssd-better-battery-new-technology/)

- no more white MacBook (Apple goes back to two lines of 13" inchers)
- 16 GB SSD mSATA drives on all models to store the system
- Core i3 and third USB port on the 13" model
- Matte screen option on the higher-end 13"
- Option to replace the SuperDrive with a SSD on the 15 and 17" models
- HD screens on all models : 1440x900 on the 13", 1680x1050 on the 15"
- 200 to 300 grams lighter : 1.8 kg for the 13", 2.3 kg for the 15", 2.65 kg for the 17"
- Better battery life : 12 hours on the 13", 10 hours on the 15"
- 8 GB of RAM on the 17"

Not a bad list, still the weight changes don't really seem to be that impressive.

tcn33
23rd February 2011, 11:29 AM
- no more white MacBook (Apple goes back to two lines of 13" inchers)
- 16 GB SSD mSATA drives on all models to store the system
- Option to replace the SuperDrive with a SSD on the 15 and 17" models

So which is it? Or are they claiming that the base model has an mSATA SSD for the OS, a SATA HDD for data and a SuperDrive - plus a 20% increase on battery life? Where would you put it all?

mitty
23rd February 2011, 11:34 AM
Somebody on twitter yesterday (I don't recall who) claimed that Myer and DJ's had already had a delivery of embargoed and sealed MBP's ready for tomorrow. No idea if that's true or not.

tom5955
23rd February 2011, 11:41 AM
Yeah it was 9to5mac: Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/9to5mac/statuses/39884270541611008)

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

So which is it? Or are they claiming that the base model has an mSATA SSD for the OS, a SATA HDD for data and a SuperDrive - plus a 20% increase on battery life? Where would you put it all?

I think it means what you said, they have the SSD, the regular HDD and the superdrive shoved in there. Because it says that they all get the 16GB SSD, and they can't expect you to live off that, clearly, so you gotta have a regular HDD, plus you can't take the superdrive out (I guess for fear of getting into MBA territory) of the 13".

tcn33
23rd February 2011, 12:00 PM
shoved in there

Which is exactly my point. How are they going to add an mSATA drive (yes, I know it's smaller than a normal SSD, but it still occupies space) and a bigger battery in the same 13" case?

tom5955
23rd February 2011, 12:04 PM
Which is exactly my point. How are they going to add an mSATA drive (yes, I know it's smaller than a normal SSD, but it still occupies space) and a bigger battery in the same 13" case?

Yeah will be interesting to see the internals once someone gets a hold of it.

benerrol
23rd February 2011, 12:21 PM

Plus, if the rest of the article is to be believed, how will they maintain the same form factor with the addition of a 3rd USB plug on the 13" AND add lightpeak?!

scar68
23rd February 2011, 12:28 PM
I really hope I can put 8GB into a 15".

Would seriously consider a non super drive model as well. I think I have used mine maybe 3 times in the last year.

Hurry up, Hurry up - Blackboard

decryption
23rd February 2011, 12:30 PM
I don't bother with Macs that have less than 8GB of RAM in them and an SSD. So whatever is in the new MBPs, I'll be upgrading it to those specs. SuperDrive is useless as well, can turf that to save weight, or even space for a 2.5" drive. One of the SSD's from the MacBook Air (128GB) + 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD would be rad.

tom5955
23rd February 2011, 12:36 PM
I really hope I can put 8GB into a 15".

Would seriously consider a non super drive model as well. I think I have used mine maybe 3 times in the last year.

Hurry up, Hurry up - Blackboard

You can already put 8GB in the 15" MBPs?

redtapemedia
23rd February 2011, 12:38 PM
If the current rumors are to believed, I'll be forgoing the ODD and BTOing a SSD. Been waiting for these new MacBook Pro's since my 2007 MBP 15" crapped out in November. :frustrating:

jusrus
23rd February 2011, 12:52 PM
I just upgraded my 13 inch 2.26 MBP to 8gb and it's made a massive diff.
I *think* I could handle no superdrive, just use my external.
Must have firewire foe me though, and I'm worried that Lightpeak = no firewire.
Though I guess no superdrive allows a little more port room on the side.
SSD system partition sounds very useful.

beattz
23rd February 2011, 01:23 PM
I was hoping for better weight gains also. Lugging my late-2006 17" MBP around the city is getting old, I wish I was able to go for a smaller model but I'm married to the screen real estate (heavy Adobe CS and Visual Studio user).

The minor weight savings indicate to me that there won't be the radical Air-like case design changes that many of us have been craving, though I am happy to be proven wrong tomorrow.

Geoff3DMN
23rd February 2011, 01:32 PM
Matte screen option on the higher-end 13"

Fucking finally! Why they forced us to use glossy I'll never understand.

HD screens on all models : 1440x900 on the 13"

Very useful, the current screen resolution is quite limiting.

16 GB SSD mSATA drives on all models to store the system

This should give a nice increase in responsiveness.

Core i3 and third USB port on the 13" model

The Core i3 should have been in the last 13" Macbook Pro like I have so it's really only catching up to where they should have been last update. 3rd USB port *shrug*... 1 isn't enough, 2 is enough, 3 I can't see myself using as the 13" isn't a desktop replacement.

glacierdave
23rd February 2011, 01:34 PM
I was hoping for better weight gains also. Lugging my late-2006 17" MBP around the city is getting old, I wish I was able to go for a smaller model but I'm married to the screen real estate (heavy Adobe CS and Visual Studio user).

The minor weight savings indicate to me that there won't be the radical Air-like case design changes that many of us have been craving, though I am happy to be proven wrong tomorrow.

Weight is a consequence of capability. If you want a 17" screen, big processor and all the other stuff then you don't get a light weight laptop.

If weight is important, consider what you could do on a smaller screen model but with access to a large externally connected monitor in your main work location(s).

For many years, that's been my method of computer use - a powerful laptop with extra bits (docking stations, screens, kb/mse, whatever) in my main location. When I'm on the move, the laptop doesn't necessarily have all that stuff but that's the compromise I made.

Recently I've gone a bit the other way by moving to a 27" iMac as my "main" machine and a MacBook Air as my portable. Sure, the MBA isn't great for screen real estate (although, a 13" MBA has the same screen res as a 15" MBP so that's fine by me) but it sure is portable! Mostly, this is made practical for me by the improved cloud capabilities out there now.

I guess you choose which compromises you're willing to make...

David

beattz
23rd February 2011, 02:50 PM
Weight is a consequence of capability. If you want a 17" screen, big processor and all the other stuff then you don't get a light weight laptop.

If weight is important, consider what you could do on a smaller screen model but with access to a large externally connected monitor in your main work location(s).

For many years, that's been my method of computer use - a powerful laptop with extra bits (docking stations, screens, kb/mse, whatever) in my main location. When I'm on the move, the laptop doesn't necessarily have all that stuff but that's the compromise I made.

Recently I've gone a bit the other way by moving to a 27" iMac as my "main" machine and a MacBook Air as my portable. Sure, the MBA isn't great for screen real estate (although, a 13" MBA has the same screen res as a 15" MBP so that's fine by me) but it sure is portable! Mostly, this is made practical for me by the improved cloud capabilities out there now.

I guess you choose which compromises you're willing to make...

David

All very valid points.

My problem is that I spend 50% of my time working from home (where I have a 24" external monitor and various other peripherals) and 50% of my time at a variety of clients' offices, some of whom have an external monitor I can plug into, others do not. The time spent with my clients is usually the most demanding in terms of the tasks that I rely on my computer to perform, so it doesn't make sense for me to have a more powerful computer at home than I do away from home. Thus, the 17" MBP is the most suitable machine for my needs.

Because of this, I have been keeping an eagle-eye on the updates to MBP's over the last year or so with the intention of upgrading. My ideal scenario would be for Apple to transition the Pros to a similar design as the Airs; ditching the SuperDrive (which I rarely use and would be happy to have an external drive sitting on my home office desk), utilising more power-efficient chipsets, SSDs, monitors and trimming the case (and possibly some other 'magical' techniques Apple often pulls from their sleeves), all with a view to reducing overall size and weight. I'm not getting any younger and my back would greatly appreciate having to carry a few less pounds on a daily basis ;)

glacierdave
23rd February 2011, 03:03 PM
Hi Beattz

All good in theory but there's plenty of evidence to suggest that's not how Apple works.

Each model is more powerful than the lower one. The 17" MBP is the "kitchen sink" laptop. I just don't see Apple releasing an ultra-portable 17" laptop.

I understand where you're coming from and I can see where your needs might drive you to the 17" MBP but I don't see Apple doing a MBP-lite at that screen size.

The assumption, on a 17" MBP is that you need power because you're using it in a power-user context. That tends to imply a need for large capacity storage (very expensive in an SSD), a high capacity CPU (not power usage, or battery capacity, or cooling, friendly), heaps of RAM, and so on.

Once you go to a 17" form factor that sets the size of the overall unit. The bottom half will match the top half so you've got a certain size to deal with. There's limits on how thin you can make a system that needs good cooling and plenty of power capacity.

Drop the optical drive and you'll save 150g or something I guess but it's stuff all in the scheme of things for a 17" MBP.

Now, if you then want to ensure great battery life on it, you're adding tons of battery - and the weight goes up again...

Of course, it would be possible to produce a light-weight 17" portable - but doing so would likely involve compromises on CPU capability, storage capacity and battery life. Which of these are a typical 17" user going to be willing to forgo to save some weight?

Is the answer to these needs a higher pixel density on a 15" screen instead?

It was the high pixel density on the 13" MBA that helped make it a viable alternative for me (light use in terms of graphics etc, heave use in terms of text crunching, email, web, et al). Sure, absolute screen size matters but, for me, it was just as much about pixel density. A 13" MBA has the same screen resolution as a 15" MBP but in a smaller and lighter package with way longer battery life.

David

wmyeoh
23rd February 2011, 03:12 PM
Can someone explain (to a fairly non-techie user), what the difference between an i3 and i7 processor is, and whether you would notice a difference if you were doing web browsing, word processing, movie watching and occasional multimedia work (such as video encoding)?

glacierdave
23rd February 2011, 04:26 PM
For general day to day type stuff - word processing, web, email - pick a CPU, any CPU and you probably won't notice a great deal of difference. Video encoding, you'll see a difference between an i3 and an i7.

However, CPU is only part of the equation. A great CPU and too little RAM can be just as hampered as a smaller CPU with tons of RAM in some situations.

Best value for money is a balancing act between CPU, RAM, hard drive (or SSD), graphics capabilities, and the underlying framework that connects it all together (chipset, motherboard capabilities, etc). A computer is, ultimately, only as fast and responsive as the slowest part of this set of separate bits all joined together.

David

tcimac
23rd February 2011, 05:00 PM
Anyone want to have a guess at prices? Will they increase?

I purchased a 13" Macbook Pro base model about 2 months ago for $1362 (RRP $449 minus the Govt Employee discount). While I am a little disappointed that I was impatient, I am still very happy with what I have. I figure in abut 12 months time SSDs will be cheap enough for me to replace my HDD &/or Superdrive with one and I 'll upgrade the RAM shortly when I get enough money to buy from RAMCity.

beattz
23rd February 2011, 05:00 PM
Each model is more powerful than the lower one. The 17" MBP is the "kitchen sink" laptop. I just don't see Apple releasing an ultra-portable 17" laptop.

I'm not expecting a somewhat paradoxical "ultra-portable" 17-inch laptop per se, just hoping for some appreciable size and weight improvements.

I understand where you're coming from and I can see where your needs might drive you to the 17" MBP but I don't see Apple doing a MBP-lite at that screen size.

The assumption, on a 17" MBP is that you need power because you're using it in a power-user context. That tends to imply a need for large capacity storage (very expensive in an SSD), a high capacity CPU (not power usage, or battery capacity, or cooling, friendly), heaps of RAM, and so on.

Once you go to a 17" form factor that sets the size of the overall unit. The bottom half will match the top half so you've got a certain size to deal with. There's limits on how thin you can make a system that needs good cooling and plenty of power capacity.

Drop the optical drive and you'll save 150g or something I guess but it's stuff all in the scheme of things for a 17" MBP.

Now, if you then want to ensure great battery life on it, you're adding tons of battery - and the weight goes up again...

Of course, it would be possible to produce a light-weight 17" portable - but doing so would likely involve compromises on CPU capability, storage capacity and battery life. Which of these are a typical 17" user going to be willing to forgo to save some weight?

I mostly agree with you there, but my [admittedly limited] understanding of technology improvements suggests that new chipsets, e.g. Sandy Bridge, feature smaller and less power-hungry CPUs and other components, which means you see size and weight improvements without compromising on performance or battery life. Think about the original iBooks in comparison to the MacBooks of today. While I am not expecting such revolutionary improvements in a generational upgrade, it's nice to see evolutionary improvements. The MacBook Pros have maintained similar size and weight for a number of revisions now.

Is the answer to these needs a higher pixel density on a 15" screen instead?

It was the high pixel density on the 13" MBA that helped make it a viable alternative for me (light use in terms of graphics etc, heave use in terms of text crunching, email, web, et al). Sure, absolute screen size matters but, for me, it was just as much about pixel density. A 13" MBA has the same screen resolution as a 15" MBP but in a smaller and lighter package with way longer battery life.

David

A relative of mine has one of the latest model 13" MacBook Airs, which I have played with and determined that it is not sufficient screen real estate for my needs. Furthermore, I am not a fan of cramming more pixels into a smaller screen to be able to claim the same amount of real estate. In my experience, high dot pitches are bad for the eyes, which, just like my back, I'm trying to get as many years of service out of them as possible!

wmyeoh
23rd February 2011, 06:20 PM
For general day to day type stuff - word processing, web, email - pick a CPU, any CPU and you probably won't notice a great deal of difference. Video encoding, you'll see a difference between an i3 and an i7.

However, CPU is only part of the equation. A great CPU and too little RAM can be just as hampered as a smaller CPU with tons of RAM in some situations.

Best value for money is a balancing act between CPU, RAM, hard drive (or SSD), graphics capabilities, and the underlying framework that connects it all together (chipset, motherboard capabilities, etc). A computer is, ultimately, only as fast and responsive as the slowest part of this set of separate bits all joined together.

David

Thanks for that. Great answer in plain English.

Anyone want to have a guess at prices? Will they increase?

I'd say very unlikely that they'll increase considering they've been going down and the dollar is going well. 9to5mac is saying that the 13 and 15 inches are going down, while the 17" might go up.

Some new MacBook Pro models may be $100 cheaper, 17-inch may come standard with an i7 processor | 9 to 5 Mac Some new MacBook Pro models may be $100 cheaper, 17-inch may come standard with an i7 processor | Apple Intelligence (http://www.9to5mac.com/53297/some-new-macbook-pro-models-may-be-100-cheaper?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence))

jarrodb
23rd February 2011, 08:06 PM
Do you think you will be able to run bootcamp from the OS SSD or do most people run VM ware now and find that it runs well enough with more RAM, CPU etc? The. Low pixel density of the old (current) 13" MBP was holding me back so that higher res will be very welcome indeed.

rav3n
23rd February 2011, 08:31 PM
i'd expect prices to stay relatively the same, although if the the leaked specs are accurate I cant see apple lowering the price.

Do you think you will be able to run bootcamp from the OS SSD or do most people run VM ware now and find that it runs well enough with more RAM, CPU etc

I doubt it, osx + windows would be cutting it fairly close to the 16Gb limit, which will actually probably be about 14.9~GB, plus the way windows default installs the program files folder/s, user files etc it would probably be too much hassle to move that to the 2nd drive

On a different note, what do people think of this rumour( the 3rd paragraph) New Apple notebook refresh details: White MacBook to be discontinued, higher-resolution MacBook Pro displays, and more | Benzinga.com (http://www.benzinga.com/11/02/878677/new-apple-notebook-refresh-details-white-macbook-to-be-discontinued-higher-resolution-m)

Stez
23rd February 2011, 08:44 PM
The SSD for system files is actually a pretty neat idea from Apple. Does it mean just the basic files or can I squeeze stuff like Safari, iTunes and Word in there for quick app boot up as well? Doubt it, but putting an option into settings to add/remove apps to the SSD for quick boot up would be sweet.

PurpleLogix
23rd February 2011, 09:01 PM
MacBook Pro Specs Leaked? SSD, Better Battery, New Technology? - Page 38 - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1100760&page=38)

Some details on 13" and Thunderbolt!! (Light Peak)

kingjc
23rd February 2011, 09:21 PM
MacBook Pro Specs Leaked? SSD, Better Battery, New Technology? - Page 38 - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1100760&page=38)

Sounds more reasonable than the first rumour :p

rav3n
23rd February 2011, 09:31 PM

Only crappy integrated intel graphics instead of some form of nvidia/ati gpu in a mbp? How un-apple like so i call bs.

The_Hawk
23rd February 2011, 09:37 PM
I wonder if I will be spending any cash tomorrow or not?

I'm still rocking a not all that old C2D 2.8 17" (late '09) model. I was tempted by the i5/i7 but there just wasn't enough of an upgrade to really push me over the edge. The one thing for me would be an integrated 3G modem or an inbuilt SSD + HDD option. Anything much else and I might just blow a few bucks on an opti bay and a decent SSD an upgrade what I already have.

PurpleLogix
23rd February 2011, 10:22 PM
Possible thunder bolt port???? looks like video will be carried on it, similar shape as MDP

Mac 4 Ever : La photo du nouveau port Thunderbolt ! (http://www.mac4ever.com/news/60807/la_photo_du_nouveau_port_thunderbolt/)

wholikespotatoes
24th February 2011, 12:28 AM
Other point of interest (apart from Thunderbolt, larger trackpad etc.) that most blog sites seem to have overlooked...

Mentions of FaceTime HD camera inbuilt. Emphasis on the HD.

The_Hawk
24th February 2011, 06:56 AM
OK... so where's my new MacBook Pro... :P

or is this one of those 24th US time things.

forno
24th February 2011, 07:26 AM
Other point of interest (apart from Thunderbolt, larger trackpad etc.) that most blog sites seem to have overlooked...

Mentions of FaceTime HD camera inbuilt. Emphasis on the HD

Are you talking about the new MacBook Porn ;-p

beattz
24th February 2011, 08:39 AM
OK... so where's my new MacBook Pro... :P

or is this one of those 24th US time things.

Good question. I'm getting itchy credit card fingers. Haven't heard a peep from any Aussie distributors yet this morning. Given that Thunderbolt is being introduced, I'm inclined to think that there will be some sort of official product introduction by Apple to coincide with Intel's Light Peak launch. The introduction will be today US-time, and they will say "available now from Apple Stores everywhere" or whatever.

I'm hoping the product shots we have seen so far are of the model that replaces the white MacBook, though it would surprise me for all the bells and whistles (i.e. SD card reader, Thunderbolt port, etc) to appear on the low-end model.

wholikespotatoes
24th February 2011, 11:26 AM
I'm hoping the product shots we have seen so far are of the model that replaces the white MacBook, though it would surprise me for all the bells and whistles (i.e. SD card reader, Thunderbolt port, etc) to appear on the low-end model.

Don't think Apple are expecting to update the white MacBook this time round, these are reported just to be the MacBook Pro models.

GlossyMac
24th February 2011, 02:17 PM
Hey Guys,

I don't mind the design of the current MBP's so if the design stays the same, I won't mind.
Ideal machine = 15" Matte MBP 256GB SSD Boot Drive, 8GB RAM and a 500GB 7200RPM drive..
*wipes drool*

What spec are you guys looking at?
GlossyMac

rav3n
24th February 2011, 02:32 PM
I'll be looking for something along the lines of the 15" mbp, the matte screen with the highest resolution if they offer diffrent panels, the ssd boot drive, ditching whatever additional hdd apple include as well as the optical drive in favour of maybe 2 1tb drives, an i7 if its an option and more then likely 8gb of ram. In any case if apple launch these at midnight US time, which is 7pm here in nsw, i'll be eagerly sitting with mastercard in hand, continuously refreshing the apple store til its online to get one of these asap

beattz
24th February 2011, 02:49 PM
... if apple launch these at midnight US time, which is 7pm here in nsw, i'll be eagerly sitting with mastercard in hand, continuously refreshing the apple store til its online to get one of these asap

As I speculated in a previous post, MacRumors seems to think that the appropriate time for Apple to introduce new Thunderbolt-equipped machines is after Intel formally unveils the tech themselves:
Intel to Launch 'Thunderbolt' on Thursday? MacBook Pros to Follow? - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/23/intel-to-launch-thunderbolt-on-thursday-macbook-pros-to-follow/)

As mentioned in that article, the Intel event is at 10am PST, which translates to 5am EDST on Friday for us. Think I might just wait until 9am which will give the US tech journo's enough time to thoroughly pick apart the new models and cast judgement.

I must admit I'm pessimistic regarding hopes for the new case design in light of recent rumours, but I'm not sure I can hold out for *another* year to upgrade (still using my late-2006 17" MBP as my main machine).

Stez
24th February 2011, 03:30 PM
These things are really looking nice. Too bad I want a iMac but if they include similar features I'm sold.

So is Thunderbolt like Mini-display port as well?

The_Hawk
24th February 2011, 03:31 PM
Assuming the Apple store has new models in stock I may be down there on the way to work tomorrow. Looking for another 17" unit to replace the current one, but like I said earlier, the upgrade needs to be worthwhile or I might just throw an SSD into the one I already have.

mediasorcerer
24th February 2011, 03:34 PM
well no new macs today,shame ay?nevermind,march 2 it is i presume.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

i had a i7 15 with an vertex 2 120 ssd in it,6 g ram,and it had a windows 7 index rating of 6.4,i thought thats not bad.ssd,s kill it.wiout ssd,5.4

andyrb
24th February 2011, 04:00 PM
well no new macs today,shame ay?nevermind,march 2 it is i presume.[COLOR="Silver"]

Probably because if anything is going to be released, it'll happen based on American time. It's still 10pm Wednesday there right now.

~Coxy
24th February 2011, 04:16 PM
Don't be so quick to forget all the minis, MacBooks and iMacs that came with Intel graphics in the past...
They have to move away from the obsolete Core 2 Duo CPUs sometime!

beattz
24th February 2011, 05:06 PM
Assuming the Apple store has new models in stock I may be down there on the way to work tomorrow. Looking for another 17" unit to replace the current one, but like I said earlier, the upgrade needs to be worthwhile or I might just throw an SSD into the one I already have.

Nine months ago I put a 256 GB Samsung SSD (~$600 on eBay) in my ageing 17" MBP. Best upgrade I ever did. If I was able to put more RAM in my current machine (motherboard is limited to 3 GB max), I would probably be able to comfortably wait until the next major revision.

nibbles
24th February 2011, 05:08 PM
Maybe they will have some sort of mammoth event on the 2nd (3rd here) that will have new MacBook pros, iMacs, Minis, talk about Xserve, iOS 5 preview, Lion Preview but mostly likely not. If we get a midnight release the store should go down in, well now but it hasn't.

rhys84au
24th February 2011, 05:35 PM
I grabbed my 13inch pro in about november on a "iam going to try mac" spin, i have now switched almost entirely over. I would replace my current 13 with new model for sandy bridge however with the current rumors not showing a discrete iam more inclined at this point to stick with the duo and the geforce but throw a hybrid in. unless someone can point out that the integrated gpu is essentially the same and with the cpu upgrade it will be overall better... then ill upgrade but atm i dont want to throw my stuff at the sandy bridge gpu.

Stez
24th February 2011, 07:27 PM
Maybe they will have some sort of mammoth event on the 2nd (3rd here) that will have new MacBook pros, iMacs, Minis, talk about Xserve, iOS 5 preview, Lion Preview but mostly likely not. If we get a midnight release the store should go down in, well now but it hasn't.

Haha, keep dreaming. The event will just be iPad. Store will probably go down in about 30 minutes, otherwise I guess they might add MBP's to the keynote, but if (big if) it's getting a design change.

LevMac
24th February 2011, 07:59 PM

Going by the invite and the image within the invite, it clearly shows an iPad

I remember when they held an event for the Macbook Pro's, they said something along the lines of "It's all about the Macbooks" and had a photo of the top casing of the Macbook

So I think the 2nd March event will be about the iPad

jarrodb
24th February 2011, 08:05 PM
There seem to be quite a lot of suspected MacBook Pro changes to just slide in to a midnight or silent release, almost needs a keynote on it's own.

LevMac
24th February 2011, 08:16 PM
There seem to be quite a lot of suspected MacBook Pro changes to just slide in to a midnight or silent release, almost needs a keynote on it's own.

Will just be a website update, take a look at the newly designed iMac with the Magic Mouse, they didn't even hold an event, was just posted online

Considering the Macbook Pro will just have internal bumps, and a new port, I doubt they will hold an event.

nibbles
24th February 2011, 08:26 PM
It depends how much they change, they have held events for the MacBook pro + other stuff before when it hasn't been major, september music event I think it was when they renamed the macbook unibody a pro, it was just tacked on the end of a stevenote which could quite easily be done with the philnote(?).

jarrodb
24th February 2011, 08:48 PM
Well with or without a keynote it's still exciting. I tried to get enthusiastic about a "better value" PC laptop, can't be done. Are any of the other makers even trying they just roll out the same trash over and over again. I thought the new Vaio's might be worth a look but they still quote 2-3hrs of battery, unbelievable.

rav3n
24th February 2011, 08:49 PM
Guys apple store is down so all your questions will soon be answered

Stez
24th February 2011, 08:51 PM
Told you guys! Now, I'm praying for the unlikely iMac refresh. Will stay up just out of curiosity until like 11:30 to check out the new MBP's. Please have new iMacs!

lazydesi
24th February 2011, 08:53 PM
where is Mr.X?

PurpleLogix
24th February 2011, 08:55 PM
15' and 17' Pro LEAK w Pictures ! QUAD CORE - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101665)

Quadcores!!

Chundermuffin
24th February 2011, 08:58 PM
My sexy guess is that all the changes will be under the hood, ie. no major redesign yet.

And Apple have often released updated models quietly (well, without holding a conference) prior to their main events, such as next week's iPad announcement, so not to take focus off the spectacle.

Although it does also serve to highlight how much Mac has shrunk, in terms of Apple's overall revenue stream. All iPad/iPhone now!

bennyling
24th February 2011, 09:04 PM
Graphics card of the base model 15" is pretty weak TBH, even worse than the previous 330M.

The_Hawk
24th February 2011, 09:17 PM
oooohhhhhh...

*wait*

twombles_62
24th February 2011, 09:17 PM
Hows the intel 3000 going to perform?

Chundermuffin
24th February 2011, 09:20 PM
Is the 6470 much slower than the 330GT?

Steve_D
24th February 2011, 09:23 PM
Well stores down!
So let's see how many of these rumours were actually true.

idiesel
24th February 2011, 09:28 PM
Will we see USB 3.0 support???

Steve_D
24th February 2011, 09:32 PM
Doubt it. Intel won't support it thanks to "thundercats" or whatever it's called :p

Plus if Light Peak works like the demo videos show you won't need USB on laptop when your monitor would be able to act as the breakout box as shown.

rav3n
24th February 2011, 09:33 PM
Will we see USB 3.0 support???

almost a definate no, because of thunderbolt

jarrodb
24th February 2011, 09:40 PM
Although it does also serve to highlight how much Mac has shrunk, in terms of Apple's overall revenue stream. All iPad/iPhone now!

Very true, I wonder what the % of sales is for Mac vs iPhone/iPad/iPod

Stez
24th February 2011, 09:42 PM
almost a definate no, because of thunderbolt

That's so stupid. Why not give people the option? Not all device will have Thunderbolt support in the near future, but 3.0 is already getting picked up everywhere.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Oh and instead of refreshing just load this (http://istheapplestoredown.de/alarm) page. Just leave it open and it'll play an alarm when the store goes back up.

lazydesi
24th February 2011, 09:52 PM
MC700LL/A MBP 13.3/2.3/2X2GB/320/SD-USA
MC721LL/A MBP 15.4/2.0/2X2GB/500/SD/GLSY-USA
MC723LL/A -MBP 15.4/2.2/2X2GB/750/SD/GLSY-USA
MC724LL/A MBP 13.3/2.7/2X2GB/500/SD-USA
MC725LL/A MBP 17/2.2/2X2GB/750/SD/GLSY-USA

source: Mr.X

Stez
24th February 2011, 09:55 PM
MC700LL/A MBP 13.3/2.3/2X2GB/320/SD-USA
MC721LL/A MBP 15.4/2.0/2X2GB/500/SD/GLSY-USA
MC723LL/A -MBP 15.4/2.2/2X2GB/750/SD/GLSY-USA
MC724LL/A MBP 13.3/2.7/2X2GB/500/SD-USA
MC725LL/A MBP 17/2.2/2X2GB/750/SD/GLSY-USA

source: Mr.X

Didn't you post something saying 9t05mac was the source a minute ago?

Anyway, care to translate that into something understandable? :P

funky79
24th February 2011, 10:09 PM
so how long will someone have to stay up?? before they are out ???

mitty
24th February 2011, 10:13 PM
Doubt it. Intel won't support it thanks to "thundercats" or whatever it's called :p

http://www.toyarchive.com/Thundercats/ThundercatsPicture1a.jpg

Stez
24th February 2011, 10:40 PM
So we're about to hit the ''just past XX:30'' time. Usually if it doesn't come up by XX:40 then we'll be waiting in half hour intervals for the store to possibly pop back up.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

No dice. Just update the damn site Apple.

Sambo
24th February 2011, 10:46 PM
By those model no.s, how can the 13.3 be 2.7GHz on the higher model, while the 15.4 maxes out at 2.2? Or is the 15" quad core vs. dual core on the 13's?

jusrus
24th February 2011, 10:57 PM
Or is the 15" quad core vs. dual core on the 13's?

I would say so.

Steve_D
24th February 2011, 11:46 PM
Store is still down but this link now works...
Apple - MacBook Pro - A notebook full of innovations. (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html)

wholikespotatoes
25th February 2011, 12:09 AM
Thunderbolt:
Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology. (http://www.apple.com/au/thunderbolt/)

Steve_D
25th February 2011, 12:13 AM
Well from what i can see it looks like ill be upgrading the 13 to a new 15 when tax time rolls around. :)

Japester
25th February 2011, 12:14 AM
I preferred the term Light Peak. Sounded more technical.

Vojtin
25th February 2011, 12:20 AM
It is a JOKE :-) Battery performance down, old resolution, still SuperDrive, No SSD as a standard configuration etc... I am waiting for revolution!

Swathe
25th February 2011, 12:24 AM
I think the price for MBP are definitely making them a little more attractive despite what some consider a luke warm refresh.

If anyone is selling a cheap (around 500) macbook to fund purchase of a new MBP PM me before I resort to Fleabay. :D

wickee
25th February 2011, 12:40 AM
Are they worth getting?

Really only seems like a chipset refresh + the Light Peak, which I don't really know much about and I don't have any devices that can take advantage of that yet...

wholikespotatoes
25th February 2011, 12:57 AM
Are they worth getting?

Yup.
Unless you wanna wait until 2012 for the next 'milestone' update.

wickee
25th February 2011, 01:56 AM
Store is up!

Tj94
25th February 2011, 02:19 AM
Is it just me or has the battery gone from 10 down to 7 hours?

jarrodb
25th February 2011, 05:39 AM
I think that the 7 hours is referring to a particular usage case "Wireless Web" for example. This is their new battery reporting that attempts to give you a realistic prediction of your remaining battery life. All of the previously reported 10hrs etc would be bare minimum power usage figures, no wireless, CPU idling etc.

glitch
25th February 2011, 05:46 AM
The rumour sites were surprisingly wrong this time. Really only the thunderstorm thingy turned out to be correct. More of a slight bump than an upgrade. Oh well, saves me spending my money!

decryption
25th February 2011, 07:09 AM
Discuss the new stuff here: http://www.mactalk.com.au/24/98351-new-macbook-pro-quad-core-cpus-thunderbolt.html