PDA

View Full Version : Television Editing

hawker
28th October 2005, 03:32 PM
I am using a USB2 HD external eyetv DVB-T to record television, but EYETV gives me digital distort when I edit out commercials - it has been logged with them and they are working on it.

However, I was just wondering if anyone here uses another program that can easily import MPEG streams from eyetv to edit commercials.

MPEG Streamclip does sort of do this, but it really only does the in and out points (once). so I would have to cut it out and segments and put it back together. Trying to find a program that will do it out of the box and keep it at a good res.

Anyone know anything?

cheers,

Mark T
28th October 2005, 03:58 PM
I use iMovieHD to edit out commercials (transferred from my Topfield PVR).

I use MPEG Streamclip to export as DV;
Drag the DV file to iMove;
Edit out beginning, commercials, end;
Burn using iDVD.

IIRC, I think that I purchased quicktime MPEG editing plugin or something to let me edit MPEGs. Cost about $20-$30. (purchased from Apple.com because it was cheaper than Apple.com.au using exchange rates on that particular day)

Joz
28th October 2005, 04:18 PM
I think he wants to cut the ads without having to re-encode. Sounds like you've encoded it twice.

The Architect.mac
28th October 2005, 04:24 PM
Question

Do any of the eyetv range actually do HD in Aus

They might pick up the HD channels and you might have a HD display but is the eyetv actually doing 1080i or 576p HD.

I really want to know?? I would love to get an eyetv but keep looking at Fusion with iTele and even then doubt HD is possible??

Joz
28th October 2005, 05:25 PM
Yes, my eyeTV 400 does it fine.

The Architect.mac
28th October 2005, 05:49 PM
yeh and i just read an updated asterisk line on the latest USB DTT EyeTV on Streetwise that states it does 1080i HD.

Outstanding :D

billybob
7th November 2005, 03:26 PM
ProjectX - http://www.oozoon.de/

Joz
7th November 2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by billybob@Nov 7 2005, 04:26 PM
ProjectX - http://www.oozoon.de/
Care to expand on that? It doesn't even say what it is.

Currawong
7th November 2005, 04:17 PM
What do you mean that mpeg streamclip only does the in and out points once? It's easy, you press "i" at the beginning of commercials, and "o" at the end, then hit command-x to remove the selection. Rince and repeat until they are all gone. Same as in Quicktime player (pro) with movies.

hawker
7th November 2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Nov 7 2005, 03:47 PM
What do you mean that mpeg streamclip only does the in and out points once? It's easy, you press "i" at the beginning of commercials, and "o" at the end, then hit command-x to remove the selection. Rince and repeat until they are all gone. Same as in Quicktime player (pro) with movies.
Crap Currawong. Call me stupid and slap my silly.

I was thinking something else... But that will work... Thanks for slapping me in the back of the head Currawong :)

purana
7th November 2005, 06:53 PM
I use Project X to convert my .rec file from my Topfield 5000, then I use the mpv, mp2 and ac3 output files in Mpeg Streamclip to cut out all the ads and then I save it out as an mpeg combined stream. Then it gets converted to xvid avi on a PC using auto gordian knot (I will figure out to do it on a mac using ffmpex oneday)

And I edit out the Ads exactly as currawong said (so got no idea what hawker was trying to do) :)

hawker
8th November 2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by purana@Nov 7 2005, 06:23 PM
I use Project X to convert my .rec file from my Topfield 5000, then I use the mpv, mp2 and ac3 output files in Mpeg Streamclip to cut out all the ads and then I save it out as an mpeg combined stream.
I could not get Project X working on my mac? I know its just java. What did you do to get it working?

You do know you can cut the commercials out in Project X?

billybob
8th November 2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by hawker+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hawker)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>However, I was just wondering if anyone here uses another program that can easily import MPEG streams from eyetv to edit commercials.[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-billybob
Care to expand on that? It doesn&#39;t even say what it is.[/quote]

Currawong
8th November 2005, 03:51 PM
You have to compile Project X.

If you haven&#39;t already, install the developer tools in Mac OS X.

There&#39;s a file called build.sh in the package you download. In Terminal, type: cd and drag the folder containing build.sh to the window, then press enter.

Next, type: ./build.sh and wait until it finishes. You&#39;ll be left with a new file called ProjectX.jar which is your java application. It takes less than 30 seconds.

With my streams from iTele, i have to demux them with ProjectX then remux them with ffmpegX first before I can edit them, as the arrangement of the audio and video tracks confuses programs enough that I can&#39;t edit them as they are.

I&#39;m up to trying ffmpegX for Xvid making. I&#39;m not sure yet what the best option is for compression since the latest ffmpegX doesn&#39;t seem to work creating H.264 for me.

billybob
9th November 2005, 11:12 AM
You dont have to compile projectx, there is a compiled jar on the site I linked to. Just click the English link then on the right hand side about half way down you&#39;ll see a box called - Project X by DVB-Matt.

The website owner does not like people linking straight to that page or the files themselves and asks that people just link to the main page. He shows up in forums that link incorrectly and complains when people dont follow his request either. Since it&#39;s such a handy tool I think we can abide by his request rather than lose it altogether.

I dont know why you are dumuxing, then remuxing, then editing. You can edit directly within ProjectX. I just import the transport stream, edit in projectx (use the edit menu), export out to the format of my choice then encode using ffmpegx.

Originally posted by Currawong@Nov 8 2005, 03:51 PM
You have to compile Project X.

If you haven&#39;t already, install the developer tools in Mac OS X.

There&#39;s a file called build.sh in the package you download. In Terminal, type: cd and drag the folder containing build.sh to the window, then press enter.

Next, type: ./build.sh and wait until it finishes. You&#39;ll be left with a new file called ProjectX.jar which is your java application. It takes less than 30 seconds.

With my streams from iTele, i have to demux them with ProjectX then remux them with ffmpegX first before I can edit them, as the arrangement of the audio and video tracks confuses programs enough that I can&#39;t edit them as they are.

I&#39;m up to trying ffmpegX for Xvid making. I&#39;m not sure yet what the best option is for compression since the latest ffmpegX doesn&#39;t seem to work creating H.264 for me.