PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme- do i need it?

maclover
28th October 2005, 11:37 AM
Hi, I bought an iBook a few weeks ago with airport extreme built in.
However, I dont think i will use it, and i want more RAM in my iBook (it only came with 256mb built in)

Without the Airport Base Station, is their much point having the card?
If i sell it, i can probably buy 512mb of Ram to put in it.
How much of a difference will 512mb RAM make?

Cheers :)

Byrd
28th October 2005, 12:04 PM
You could probably sell the Airport Extreme for ~ $100. Is it useful however - if you ever take the notebook anywhere, it can be very handy. Same goes if you know someone else with a wireless setup, or if you ever want to get wireless internet.

However, definately having 768+ MB of RAM is recommended for Tiger - 256MB is really scraping the barrel with the OS, everything will be much more responsive with more memory.

JB

Danamania
28th October 2005, 12:12 PM
Worth finding out is whether the airport extreme inside the iBook is a genuine Airport Extreme card that can be used in other macs, or if it's so built-in it's not a card any more (or whether it's a new kind of bluetooth/airport extreme card in one, which is supposed to be in some of the newer Mac minis)

There'll be an Apple tech along who can tell whether I just pulled that from thin air though, I'm sure :)

dana

QueenOfSwords
28th October 2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by danamania@Oct 28 2005, 12:12 PM
Worth finding out is whether the airport extreme inside the iBook is a genuine Airport Extreme card that can be used in other macs, or if it's so built-in it's not a card any more (or whether it's a new kind of bluetooth/airport extreme card in one, which is supposed to be in some of the newer Mac minis)

There'll be an Apple tech along who can tell whether I just pulled that from thin air though, I'm sure :)

dana
I'm not an Apple tech :) but if it's a real AE card you should be able to pop up your keyboard and see the card sitting there, plugged in.

Brand new iBooks have the AE card built in so you won't see one there, AFAIK.

maclover
28th October 2005, 12:55 PM
Mine came built in with the 1.2ghz iBook.
Will i be able to sell it?

Thom
28th October 2005, 01:29 PM
Keep it... You'll be surprised how many open networks are popping up all over the place.

maclover
28th October 2005, 02:34 PM
Nah i need the money too much.... :(

I have decided to sell it (when i get 30 posts).
If anyones interested PM me.
Thanks for your comments.

Thom
28th October 2005, 03:44 PM
If you're sure then sell it- but personally, I'd keep it- even if just to keep up the reseale value of the whole computer.

They do sell for good (by that I mean high-ish) prices on eBay.

debs
28th October 2005, 04:10 PM
You don't need an airport base station, airport extreme will work with most wireless routers. I have used mine with both netgear and d-link routers and they work fine. Wireless is Wonderful! Mind you, RAM is wonderful too... but wireless rocks!