PDA

View Full Version : Apple Launches Subscriptions on the App Store

marc
16th February 2011, 12:34 AM
“Our philosophy is simple—when Apple brings a new subscriber to the app, Apple earns a 30 percent share; when the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “All we require is that, if a publisher is making a subscription offer outside of the app, the same (or better) offer be made inside the app, so that customers can easily subscribe with one-click right in the app. We believe that this innovative subscription service will provide publishers with a brand new opportunity to expand digital access to their content onto the iPad, iPod touch and iPhone, delighting both new and existing subscribers.”

In addition, publishers may no longer provide links in their apps (to a web site, for example) which allow the customer to purchase content or subscriptions outside of the app.

More here: Apple Launches Subscriptions on the App Store (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/02/15appstore.html)

Thoughts? I get the feeling the line between a subscriber Apple brings and a publisher brings may be hard to define in some cases.

decryption
16th February 2011, 06:23 AM
I personally prefer the in-app purchases via iTunes, not a 3rd party system. I think most people do too, it's just easier. I think the publishers hate it though...

glitch
16th February 2011, 02:12 PM
Jobs' megalomania will bring him undone eventually. This desire to control our iLives is doomed to fail in the end, once the content providers decide there are other platforms for content delivery they will move their business away from Apple. At the moment in time Apple has the hardware and a connected distribution system, but market forces will level the playing field in time.

jonathanpoh
22nd February 2011, 02:50 PM
I personally prefer the in-app purchases via iTunes, not a 3rd party system. I think most people do too, it's just easier. I think the publishers hate it though...

I believe this is what Apple is banking on, when they ask publishers to offer the subscription at the same, or better price than the publisher's own subscription system. All things (or prices) being equal, Apple's customers would very likely prefer to just type in their iTunes password to authorise the transaction, rather than to fill up another form with all their details - for each and every publication they want to subscribe to.