PDA

View Full Version : Archiving in Mail.app WITH Attachments.

sydcansam
10th February 2011, 10:29 PM
I am going through the process of archiving a mailbox for a company I recently sold and no longer need access to, but would like to keep a copy of for the next few years.

Using the "Archive" function in Mail.app creates a backup of the individual emails, but doesn't backup the attachments. Given the number of invoices, contracts, etc. that are in the mailbox I need my archive to contain these documents.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I should go about doing this? The current option I'm considering is setting up a gmail account and transferring the messages to that account. The mailbox is just shy of 7GB so it would fit.

MissionMan
11th February 2011, 06:57 AM
Ironically I had this same issue and ended up buying an app off the new app store that did the job nicely.

Its called Email Archiver. It converts your emails to PDF and then archives the attachments in a folder with the same name as the email.

I'll try put together a review for Mactalk for it shortly. Its pretty cheap.

Mac Monk
11th February 2011, 08:56 AM
Why not just create a folder in Mail in the section called 'On my Mac' and drag all the files there.

sydcansam
11th February 2011, 09:31 AM
Why not just create a folder in Mail in the section called 'On my Mac' and drag all the files there.

The reason is I still want the files to be available to me without being in Mail.app. Currently my user/library/mail folder is 19GB so I'm working to bring that down in size by hopefully archiving as deleting emails isn't an option.

@MissionMan, thanks for the tip - I'm downloading a demo now, but some of the reviews in the App Store aren't too kind. Without any real competition in the store I'm guessing they're not planted criticisms.

sydcansam
11th February 2011, 03:45 PM
I hate when people ask questions and never post their resolution so here it is:

I have decided to go with the Gmail route.

To do this I:
-I set up a Gmail account solely for archiving my mail, but it can be done with an existing account I then added it to Mail.app and copied the mail I wanted to archive to Gmail with a label identifying it as this specific archive. -Wait for it to Sync-. On Gmail.com, enabling Advanced IMAP control (Gmail/Google Labs) allowed me to turn off IMAP syncing for the archived folder once it finishes syncing (its still on-going) so it won't show up in Mail.app anymore.

Confirm in /user/library/mail the folder/mailbox is no longer taking up space.

When its complete I will have a smaller mailbox, and If I want to access that information I simply go to gmail.com and log into my archive account.

Not the ideal solution, but it allows me to keep my gigs of emails with their attachments.