PDA

View Full Version : Tips on travelling to WWDC 2011?

NathR32
8th February 2011, 10:14 PM
Hey guys and girls,

I know this is super early and keen but I'd love to make my mind up nice and early and not make a last minute decision.

I'm tossing up the idea of heading over to the US in June this year to go to WWDC. My birthday is in early June, and I thought it would be a good present to myself to have a trip overseas and go to the conference at the same time.

Rumour has it that it will be around the 5th of June til about the 9th or 10th.

What tips can previous WWDC attendees give me on making this a successful and safe trip? Where to stay, what costs are involved, how long to stay and see a few sights? I noticed tickets last year were $1599, does this guarantee a spot inside to watch the keynote, and what else does this include?

Finally, is it worth going to it even if you aren't a developer and have no plans to be one? I would just love to go to the keynote and a couple of the Apple Stores in that part of the US.

Thanks.

decryption
9th February 2011, 07:15 AM
WWDC ticket was $1799 and doesn't guarantee you a spot in the keynote. You have to line up really early in order to get a seat, otherwise you're in the "overflow" room, watching it on a TV. The stump the experts night is fun, but other than that, it's all very programmer/developer focussed.

All WWDC is, is a bunch of lectures and labs about programming or UI design. You can ask the dudes at Apple questions. The other big part of it is catching up with other developers. I'm not programmer, but last year I had heaps of fun catching up with all the developers I talk to over email/Twitter/iChat.

$1799 is expensive, just to see Steve Jobs, but if you want a holiday to San Francisco and WWDC is what tips you over the edge, go for it. Unless you're making an app though, $1800 is a lot of money wasted that could be spent on staying longer or going elsewhere in the US.

The Californian Apple Stores aren't anything special, same as the ones here and aren't worth bothering with on a trip to the USA, unless you need to use the internet, hah.

Where to stay - depends on your budget.
Costs? Airfare to SFO return would be around $1500-$1800 if you book early. Hotel would be around $1500 for 10 nights in a decent place. WWDC ticket is $1799.
How long to stay? WWDC is 5 days and to get a good look around SF and the bay area, you want a week I reckon.

So if I was you, I'd just go to the USA for 2 weeks for your birthday and skip WWDC :)

Go to San Francisco for a week and new York for the other. That is, unless you want to pay $1800 to see a Steve Jobs keynote live. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but most sane & rational people would. if you do decide to go to WWDC, I'll see you there ;)

NathR32
9th February 2011, 07:22 AM
I was hoping you would reply Anthony :p

Thanks for your post, it was pretty much an explanation of everything I was looking for. I'd love to go see a keynote and S Jobs but $1800 is a fair amount of dough to just do that. I wasn't sure if there was any non developer type things happening as well, but I should have expected not as it is a developers conference.

I might do as you suggested and just take a holiday for a few weeks without the WWDC. Unless they drop the ticket price this year, in which case I might think about it a little more :)

alexessory
9th February 2011, 08:25 AM
Rumour has it that it will be around the 5th of June til about the 9th or 10th.

I read this too, it seems strange that it would start on a Sunday - perhaps this is just a booking that takes set-up into account, which would make it about right. Another thing to consider is that E3 is on that same week, Apple may (hopefully) plan WWDC to avoid a clash.

Go to San Francisco for a week and new York for the other. That is, unless you want to pay $1800 to see a Steve Jobs keynote live.

Considering Steve Jobs is on sick leave, I wouldn't even plan on that :(

- Alex

marc
9th February 2011, 10:51 AM
I had a blast at WWDC 2010 and was able to meet lots of interesting people. The actual WWDC sessions aren't much use if you're not a coder though. There's some UI sessions, but it's not a designer's conference, it's a programmer's conference.

Like Anthony said, highly recommended if you're working on an app, maybe a waste of money if you're not. Although being the room at an Apple keynote is a lot of fun.

I'll definitely be there at WWDC 2011 with a few of the Bjango crew. Would be great to catch up with lots of Aussie devs again.

leoleakey
9th February 2011, 11:32 AM
thanks Anthony,i was planning to see steve, but he is on sick leave.
i'd better just have a holiday in us instead.

mitty
9th February 2011, 11:41 AM
I guess there's still a chance Steve might show up (isn't he meant to be off for 6 months? Which will be almost be up by WWDC) but if that's your only reason for going I wouldn't take the risk. After all it's most likely to be streamed again as with all the recent keynotes, which would save an awful lot of cash :)

nibbles
9th February 2011, 05:07 PM
Save yourself $1800 and spend it on something to watch the keynote on that will be around for more than a few hours. I haven't been but as said above it is the World Wide Developer Conference not the World Wide See Steve Jobs Release an iPhone. From what I have read about it, it's very developer orientated which is a bit of a shame for those who aren't developers.

PeterS
9th February 2011, 09:39 PM
For anyone contemplating travelling to SFO, Lonely Planet had/has a free download of their guide to SFO [plus a Spanish phrase book] a week or so ago. It was all to do with the wild weather in US disrupting travel. I don't know if it still available. There was a note somewhere on the MacTalk Blog but I can't see it now. No doubt someone else can.

marc
9th February 2011, 10:17 PM
it's very developer orientated which is a bit of a shame for those who aren't developers.

With all due respect, it's a closed developer conference for those developing iOS and Mac apps. Developers are bound by an NDA and they get to see and hear about some new features of the relevant OSs so they can start including those features in their apps. People who aren't developers should probably steer clear for two main reasons:

- It's expensive.
- You'll be taking a spot away from someone who is actually developing apps.

NathR32
9th February 2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys for your replies. I think I got way ahead of myself and shouldn't have even created this thread.
My thoughts about the WWDC have now been confirmed, good luck to all that are going this year, but yeah not designed for people like me. Sure a keynote would be awesome live, but not for the entry price they are asking.
I'll save my monies and have a normal holiday.