PDA

View Full Version : iWork or Office

bobsuncle2
3rd February 2011, 12:16 PM
Hi, getting a Mac soon and trying to figure out whether to get iWork or Office

I'm a uni student and all our assignments on submitted online as .doc format with specific formatting requirements (you seriously lose marks if your margins aren't right or it's the wrong font type), and I also have make to make in class presentations using powerpoint on a windows pc.

Am I better off getting Office (though I would very much like to get iWork for the whole 'mac' experience) or can I use iWork? I've read things about formatting going wrong especially converting pages to word docs and am concerned about this mainly. Is there a way you can check your converted files for any formatting errors?

Also, if I need to get Office should I get the 2008 or the 2011 version? I currently use Office 2007 for windows and love it. Is there any bugs or lags associated with any of the mac versions?

Thanks!

Jacko30
3rd February 2011, 12:19 PM
If your formatting needs to be EXACTLY the same then go for Office. I am running 2011 and it is quite nice.

glacierdave
3rd February 2011, 12:49 PM
What Jacko30 said.

If you need Office apps with all that implies (100% compatibility, VBA, etc) then get Office.

If you don't need that level of compatibility and can accept that loading a Word .doc may change formatting and that you won't have macros and other stuff then save some money and get iWork instead.

Either package is very capable in it's own right.

David

gehenna
3rd February 2011, 12:57 PM
In addition to both replies, LibreOffice (http://www.libreoffice.org/) is a great alternative now too, given it's free and pretty mature :)

johnq
3rd February 2011, 01:30 PM
In my experience the difference in formatting is minor at best and MOST people will never experience it. It is even less of an issue when YOU are the producer of the document. You are most likely to experience it when someone else sends you a document and it is laden with embedded tables, spreadsheets, and bits of VB. In those cases you have a reasonable chance of seeing a format difference. Ironically, if you are on a different version of Office than the sender you may ALSO see formatting inconsistency.

iLife (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) are fine applications. I have used all of them and I frequently share the documents with Office users.

You might also want to consider OpenOffice. OpenOffice can also produce Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents pretty effectively, and it is also free.

db9
3rd February 2011, 01:39 PM
I go to UQ and have been using iWork all of last year, however, I've often experienced formatting problems downloading word docs from blackboard and uploading to turnitin.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going out to buy MS Office because of the annoyances with iWork.

I would recommend MS Office for mac, unless the whole system is on mac

bobsuncle2
3rd February 2011, 01:48 PM
I go to UQ and have been using iWork all of last year, however, I've often experienced formatting problems downloading word docs from blackboard and uploading to turnitin.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going out to buy MS Office because of the annoyances with iWork.

I would recommend MS Office for mac, unless the whole system is on mac

Thanks so much!
I go to UQ as well, and you've definitely just convinced me to get Office instead of iWork. Is there any of Blackboard/sinet problems you've encountered using mac?

P.s have you noticed how they have macs in all the libraries but run windows instead.... weird.

db9
3rd February 2011, 02:06 PM
Blackboard runs fine on mac/safari. However, sinet looks a bit different on safari compared to windows explorer. It doesn't really make any difference though.

I know, it annoys me. Such a waste... haha

bobsuncle2
3rd February 2011, 02:15 PM
Blackboard runs fine on mac/safari. However, sinet looks a bit different on safari compared to windows explorer. It doesn't really make any difference though.

I know, it annoys me. Such a waste... haha

Awesome, I use safari anyway :)
Which Office do you have? 2008 or 2011?

db9
3rd February 2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna buy MS Office '11 next week. I tried the '08 trial for 30 days last year and formatting issues didn't seem to be there like with iWork.

db9
3rd February 2011, 02:19 PM
Oh, and FYI I predominantly use Pages, and that's the part of iWork that seems to have issues for me.

idiesel
3rd February 2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna buy MS Office '11 next week. I tried the '08 trial for 30 days last year and formatting issues didn't seem to be there like with iWork.

Have a look at this before you buy - I'm not sure if you can get it cheaper anywhere else, or if your Uni is listed as being covered, but at $99 for Office for Mac 2011, it's worth investigating to see if your Uni is listed.

Microsoft - It's not cheating (http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/itsnotcheating/default.aspx)

I presume this offer is still valid seeing as Office for Mac 2011 is listed, and it's back to Uni timing.

Stez
3rd February 2011, 08:45 PM
There's a trial for both so see how you go.

stab
3rd February 2011, 08:56 PM
And if all else fails, the last resort is to run actual PC Office 2007/10 under Fusion/Parallels.

We've had to do this because my wife's school is a M$ lovers paradise and we've had all kinds of nightmares trying to get Mac Office to play nicely with Win Office (or even different versions of Win Office to work together!).
I'd really hoped that with Office 2011 for Mac that finally Word documents would look the same/play together formatting wise without a hiccup. (I mean that's not a big ask is it?).

But no sir-ee.

So I finally went the last resort and put PC 2007 on XP partition under VMware Fusion. At Last the formatting BS is minimized. (went 2007 because even staff with running PC Office 2010 were having problems!).

This all begs the question: why in the 21st Century do we have to put up with this sort of crap? It beggars belief.

(Sorry for the rant bobsuncle2 and I sincerely hope you have better success with M$ and formatting problems than me!!)

bobsuncle2
4th February 2011, 04:30 PM
Have a look at this before you buy - I'm not sure if you can get it cheaper anywhere else, or if your Uni is listed as being covered, but at $99 for Office for Mac 2011, it's worth investigating to see if your Uni is listed.

Microsoft - It's not cheating (http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/itsnotcheating/default.aspx)

I presume this offer is still valid seeing as Office for Mac 2011 is listed, and it's back to Uni timing.

Thanks! Need to buy the mac first (hopefully centrelink can help out there lol!)

Stab - sound like fun you're having and all a bit too technical for me. Our main formatting is specific margins and double spacing, so that should be okay?

db9
4th February 2011, 06:23 PM
That's awesome!!! 99 bucks! I'll see if I can get that.

PS Centrelink sucks!

yagankiely
5th February 2011, 12:44 AM
iLife (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) are fine applications. I have used all of them and I frequently share the documents with Office users.iWork*

I have Office 2008 and 2011 and iWork '09. I have to say, I much prefer working in iWork, but I got the Offices from the It's not Cheating offer as a just in case.

opilot87
5th February 2011, 02:14 AM
I was in the same boat as you with the same thoughts. I bought iWork 09. I didn't really like it, and when I found out after I submitted an assignment that I did in Pages and then opened in Office to print at uni and all my contents page numbers were the same, well that was the last straw.

I then bought Office 08. All formatting and file type issues at least were gone, but it is still very different to Office for windows, and the stupid toolbox thing is rubbish. I just (today) bought Office 11 for $99 with the uni discount. It looks and on brief use appears to be VERY GOOD and similar to the windows version, and much quicker and nicer to use.

So I would HIGHLY recommend Office 2011, especially with the current $99 deal. I don't think you will regret it. Forget the whole 'keeping it mac' idea I once had too!

Ollie

teknostar
18th February 2011, 02:58 PM
how many licenses do you get with the office 11 for $99?

yagankiely
18th February 2011, 08:26 PM
I can tell you that it's installed on my MBP & MBA and registered, so at least two.

melbmac
19th February 2011, 06:43 AM
IME, better off to get office.

chrsha01
21st February 2011, 05:11 AM
iWork imo....office is yuck, especially '08 version - takes forever to load up and always freezes for me lol

harryb2448
21st February 2011, 05:57 AM
Office 2011 is the go period.

LibreOfice is very basic and crashes. No doubt it may improve as the NeoOffice team who designed it get on top of these glitches.