PDA

View Full Version : The Daily

Fedgrub
3rd February 2011, 09:21 AM
Has anyone with a US iTunes account checked this out yet? From the pictures I've seen in reports, it looks great, but I've head an Apple news site calling it The Faily too.

It's frustrating that its not worldwide news, but hopefully soon it will branch out into other countries or be less specific and open up to worldwide access.

From someone who works with media, it could be really interesting.

Dust For Eyes
3rd February 2011, 09:53 AM
You can have a look at it for free for the first two weeks, so log in to the US store and have a download.

When you first open the app it asks for permission to get your location. I refused so as to avoid any sort of country specific issues. It defaulted to a New York postcode.

So once past that, the edition downloads - straight away whether you're on 3G or Wi-Fi. The download isn't that large so it may not be that big an issue, but something to be wary of if you're near your 3G download limit.

Once the content is downloaded you get to browse through with a carousel interface. Other UI elements are fairly intuitive. There's no guessing how on earth you change to the next page. You mostly just swipe to the left for the next page and occasionally swipe downwards.

There's video content which seems to download only when you click on the play button. That means over 3G the video quality is poor.

There's some landscape to portrait modes. Sometimes you see something different, such as a photo essay, or sometimes you see the same content is a slightly different format.

There are some functionality to read more, read later, and link to the outside world, but I didn't explore that much.

Advertising in the app also seems to download only when you get to the particular advertising page. That means you can tell when you're on an advertising page and I found myself just skipping to the next page rather than waiting for the ad to download.

As far as content is concerned, it's like a cross between MX and Newsweek. There's barely an article over 500 words - maybe two or three. Since the app defaulted to a New York post code there was lots of US centric content.

There's also a crossword and some other puzzles.

The quality of the content is what will make you coming back for more, but for me it's not good enough. The app doesn't seem to bare the mark of Apple. There's no equivalent tablet magazine leap that the iPod or iPhone made to their respective markets. I will not be paying for this app in the future.

gehenna
3rd February 2011, 10:22 AM
Excellent summary, thanks for that!

Bogus Jimmy
3rd February 2011, 12:45 PM
Slow app is slow.

I was hoping for a global newspaper but it still seems very US centric.

(if you let it locate you you still get NY, presumably if you're outside the US).

Dust For Eyes
3rd February 2011, 02:17 PM
Here's a good walk through from iLounge (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/news-corp.-the-daily/).

I pretty much agree with their conclusion, although I might put more weight on the content needing to improve to win me over.

tmothyh
3rd February 2011, 05:05 PM
I'm very annoyed its only a US store thing as I don't have a US account.

gehenna
3rd February 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm very annoyed its only a US store thing as I don't have a US account.

Pretty easily rectified though?

chaosboi
3rd February 2011, 08:06 PM
Why wouldn't they just let it be global. Anyway...

hobbsy101
3rd February 2011, 08:22 PM
It's a great app and great featured news. As soon as I get a US gift card I'm subscribing for the whole year. The way of the future and much better and downloads faster than Project. I recommend everyone to check it out

Dust For Eyes
4th February 2011, 11:37 AM
If you're curious about the content (and want to look at it in future months once the pay wall goes up), some industrious fellow has indexed all the web mirrors that are available (http://thedailyindexed.tumblr.com/).

harps
4th February 2011, 01:59 PM
I still don't understand how you can download the app.
Are you are doing so via iTunes on your Mac and then syncing across to your iPad?
What happens to all your existing files, etc on your normal iTunes account if you switch to a US version?
I've only been downloading apps direction from the iPad.

Dust For Eyes
4th February 2011, 02:44 PM
I still don't understand how you can download the app.
Are you are doing so via iTunes on your Mac and then syncing across to your iPad?

Yes.

It is possible to do this just on the iPad, but here's the instructions to do it on a Mac.

On your Mac, log out of iTunes.

Follow this link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-daily/id411516732?mt=8#).

Purchase the app (it's free for the next two weeks), and it will ask you for your account id. Don't use your Australian one. Set up a new one with an email address that looks American - GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, whatever. Anything that doesn't have a country specific suffix in the address.

It shouldn't ask for an American credit card as you're getting a free app.

The downloaded app will join all the other apps you already have.

What happens to all your existing files, etc on your normal iTunes account if you switch to a US version?

Your existing apps will still be there for use.

The only caveat is that when you update apps it requires you to be logged in the account that you purchased the app in the first place. So app updates become a two step process. Update your Australian apps; Then update your US apps. It is admittedly a bit of a pain if you have a lot of apps from multiple accounts.

henryzhao
4th February 2011, 07:03 PM
It's available in the Australian app store now. The weather page doesn't work unfortunately, and there is obviously no Australian-specific content. Unless the app receives an update within the next two weeks to increase performance and decrease lag, I doubt many will be extending the subscription

alzzla
5th February 2011, 09:34 AM
I got it last night. I'm liking it thus far, but yeah it runs slow and its sadly doesn't cover local news yet.

decryption
5th February 2011, 11:31 AM
Was checking it out last night and yep, it's certainly the MX, but in iPad format. I'm sure some will dig it, but I need my news a bit more meaty than that. App seems good, but just needs a bit of polish, which I'm sure it will get over the coming weeks now that it's out in the public's hands and News Corp is getting feedback galore.

harps
9th February 2011, 05:38 AM
I've been viewing it daily since Saturday, and whilst the design is impressive, it is sluggish at times, prone to constant shut downs (the app simply closes and need to reopen and start downloading again) and the content is week.
I'd pay the AUD $50 annual subscription if it contained some Aust (or even some world content - not just US) content and you could change regional settings so that sections such as the weather you where able to select Australian locations, and specify Aust sport.
It is only v1.0 so I'd be surprise if an update to address some of the issues isn't too far away.

skritter
9th February 2011, 11:30 AM

UPDATE 1.0.1 NOW AVAILABLE

Just a week after its splashy debut, Rupert Murdochís The Daily app for the iPad has received an update. While the update itself contains little more than bug fixes, how to install it is worth noting.

It is recommended that instead of updating The Daily using your iPad, you should delete the app instead. Then, download a fresh copy from the App Store.

The 1.0.1 update includes:

* Increased performance and stability
* Improved introduction experience
* Twitter posting updated
* Twitter login updated
* Change to image caption text concatenation

Iíve enjoyed reading The Daily since its debut. However, I had noticed starting the app was not without its problems. Prior to the update, a click on the app either worked as expected or resulted in a gray screen, which showed nothing. Sometimes, I actually had to shut the app down all together and then start it again.

The update seems to have corrected this problem. In the process, the app loads quicker, which is always nice.

The Daily is available in the App Store.

yagankiely
10th February 2011, 02:39 PM
Can someone tell me why they require you to delete the app?

(1.0.2 has the same message)

maclab
10th February 2011, 04:52 PM
I think nothing so far beats a well set up flipboard

yagankiely
10th February 2011, 05:53 PM
Depends on how many articles you read. I get about a thousand a day (no I don't read all of them, but a fair amount). Something this extensive can't really run on Flipboard too well.

marc
10th February 2011, 06:51 PM

Incompetence? It's a very strange thing to have to do.

skritter
10th February 2011, 08:51 PM

Because they wanted to reset the 14 day free time. (My expiry time increased):rolleyes: