PDA

View Full Version : wireless internet and my ibook

knassy
26th October 2005, 03:39 PM
I&#39;ve just set up a wirless network at home the cheapest way I could think of. My mate had a spare wireless network card for a PC so I popped that in my PC and using the software that came with the card and Windows XP internet sharing I created a wireless network at home for < &#036;10.

For my ibook the LAN is rock solid. ie File sharing, streaming music etc from within the home network is perfect but the internet connection drops out all the time. If i flick the ibooks airport on and off the net works again. The other laptops that we have had connected to the wireless (3 intel lappys of various specs) have had no problems with the net dropping out.

Now I know using such a yum-cha setup isnt the best way of having wireless. but the fact the intel lappys have no problems coupled with the fact that all i need to do is &#39;reset&#39; the airport by switching it on and off leads me to believe it might be an issue on the ibooks side. I&#39;ve tried it with and without interface robustness but that seems to have minimal effect.

What confuses me is why the LAN is flawless but the internet is sketchy :S.

Does anyone have any suggestions past &#39;stop being a tightass and but an airport extreme/wireless modem&#39;?

BiRDBRAiN
26th October 2005, 03:54 PM
From what you&#39;ve posted I think the "missing" link in your problem is Windows Internet Sharing.

Maybe you could try another 3rd party Windoze net sharing utility?

Can&#39;t think of one, its been years since I&#39;ve needed to try one.

knassy
27th October 2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks Birdbrain, Havent really been able to find anything that might help with the Windows ICS.

Any other suggestions?

emacmark
27th October 2005, 04:40 PM
I had problems with firewalls when I had my emac connected to my ISDN and shared it wirelessly to my ibook. I had to have them all off to make it work for me. All a thing of the past now my netgear FWG114P is on 24/7. And only &#036;90 from ebay.
Good luck
Mark

knassy
27th October 2005, 09:03 PM
the problem seems to be fixed.

how?

not exactly sure I just fiddled around until it worked :P