PDA

View Full Version : Switcher, Bit of a rant about my experience

rhys84au
29th January 2011, 02:30 AM
I grabbed my macbook pro in late november, i have an i7 pc with 4gb of ram and a great gfx card... i can run any current game on pretty much the highest graphical setting i can select.

listening to podcasts all day at work (primarily twit.tv stuff at the time) i was hearing how great mac's were and so i began listening to macbreak weekly.
after a couple of weeks i wanted one... nay i needed a mac of some sort just to satisfy myself and my curiosity.

13 inch mac pro... bought it on the macday sale, think that was nov anyway. (although at jb as they were matching price) i got home and turned it on with excitement (about 5pm). i had seen the 23 inch imac on the table and wanted it but i considered that i wouldnt have room on my desk for 2 large monitors (pc) and i could take my macbook to the kitchen table.

About 10 minutes after turning the mac on i had my wifi running and began looking around at applications for it, i threw on a few i had heard about via podcasts and began playing.

about 7:30 that night i walked over to my wonderful pc and clicked shutdown and until last night i hadnt looked back.

I found switching from windows to mac osx to be very seamless and simple to do. i used to run backups maybe once every 3-5 months (bookmarks and music) but time machine has created a happy lazy man out of me in regards to backups and Idisk has become invaluable to help me transfer between work home and ipad. I have also fallen in love with the mac app store even if i would like to see more and more mainstream gaming support.. as i type this post (on my pc) i have my macbook next to me and iam downloading dink smallwood lol.

now i must admit, last night i fired up my pc again.. one thing iam is a gamer, primarily on consoles but i do play world of warcraft, sc2 and a couple of other "pc" games. world of warcraft went off without a hitch on the macbook and was fine and dandy. however along comes the rift beta/retail and sadly no mac support. hence using the "pc" again.

solution to this... hmm simple. guessing ill be running parallels/vmware fusion in the near future, however iam a bit dubious about doing so on this model macbook pro.. iam worried it will simply take too much of a performance hit and games will run like crap. oh well perfect excuse to buy an imac at tax time...now to try and figure out which i want 23 or 27inch.

iam still fumbling my way around things, I have bought the last 3 months macworld magazine and iam thoroughly enjoying the read.

So any tips, suggestions have people got for me to have a look at? what are peoples thoughts on vmware v parallels? macworld did a comparison review but i would rather hear what the users think rather than journo's before i shelf out 100+ for it.

edit: the ONLY thing i can safely say i dislike about the mac so far is the magic mouse, i think this is a by product of playing FPS and other games that require a more comfortable and reactive mouse. i found the magic mouse to be "slow" and not very comfortable to use... i ended up plugging a microsoft optical in and using that (and i felt like i should whip myself numerous times in punishment for plugging a microsoft product in)

nbetts
29th January 2011, 07:01 AM
You called you post a Rant. I dont think it was at all.

But welcome to macs. I switched when the very first iPod came out and have never ever looked back. I have also converted all but one of my friends, she really doesnt even use her computer at home.

nibbles
29th January 2011, 07:24 AM
Magic mouse sucks for games and is not everyone's cup of tea, I like mine with my iMac but I also have the magic trackpad like that built in to the pro. I wouldn't recommend parallels or vmware for games, personally if you are keeping your pc run the games on that or run windows natively through bootcamp which was included on your Mac.

rhys84au
29th January 2011, 09:06 AM
Yeah i read that it would be best to boot camp for games but i really want to move away from windows more and more, i dont want to boot to windows and get into a habit of "ok going to surf the net for a few hours or do x... ill just do it within windows so i dont need to reboot"

iam not worried about pulling ultra high performance for gaming, i would be happy with a mid range of settings but i feel something like parallels coherence mode would help me maintain using osx dominantly as i wont need to reboot itll simply be what iam using unless i open a game.

Arkhum_Eramak
29th January 2011, 09:35 AM
I found that Magic Mouse is awesome when doing big graphics work that requires a lot of scrolling all over the place, but it sucks for video editing work and playing Minecraft (two mission critical tasks for me!)

Get a decent mouse for the Mac, I personally use a Logitech MX Revolution. I wouldn't really recommend Magic Mouse to anyone except the most basic home user. It's kinda cool, but it also kinda sucks.

It's nice to read a positive switcher story anyways. I've seen far too many rants about failing hardware or no copy-pasting in the Finder...it's a nice change ;)

nibbles
29th January 2011, 09:49 AM
It takes no time at all to restart from bootcamp (<1 minute) so just install the games and only the games in bootcamp and get into the habit of restart -> open game -> play game -> save game and push but not hold power button and it'll save and shut down.

dacoda
29th January 2011, 06:07 PM
I'd just keep the PC as a game machine. There's nothing wrong with that. If you're going to use Windows for games anyway, then use your existing machine and save yourself some harddrive space on your mac. :)

arlibie
30th January 2011, 08:18 AM
SC2 can be installed on the Mac from the same disc (if you have the disc - otherwise you can download it from Blizzard). It plays on my 2 year-old Macbook well, albeit low settings. Good for some gaming on the go :)

Shaun R
30th January 2011, 10:31 AM
If you're wanting to run Windows on your Mac, but don't want a performance hit, I'd suggest using Apple's included "Boot Camp Utility" - it allows you to easily partition your HDD and install Windows on your Mac.

Then, when you want Windows, you can just reboot into it - your Mac becomes a PC! When finished reboot back into OS X. Easy!

All you need is some time, a Windows (XP, Vista or 7) install disc, and a license number for it.

BiRDBRAiN
30th January 2011, 12:04 PM
+1 to just running a PC for games.

I have one with a 24" LCD and a decent graphics card. I seriously can't justify spending the money on an iMac for gaming, when every year I can throw $300-600 into upgrading to keep my PC current for gaming.

I don't even use the internet on my PC. There's no shame in keeping one around for games.

decryption
30th January 2011, 12:52 PM
+1 to just running a PC for games.

I have one with a 24" LCD and a decent graphics card. I seriously can't justify spending the money on an iMac for gaming, when every year I can throw $300-600 into upgrading to keep my PC current for gaming.

I don't even use the internet on my PC. There's no shame in keeping one around for games.

I do this too.

Tubbsy
4th February 2011, 07:25 AM
It's nice to read a positive switcher story anyways. I've seen far too many rants about failing hardware or no copy-pasting in the Finder...it's a nice change ;)

Really?!? I have just made the change to and I freakin love it!
I'm running win7 on bootcamp and was worried about how to access and cross share files, but no issue at all, after installing Win7, booted back into OSX, and there was the Win partition available on the desktop.

Everything does actually "just work". :D