PDA

View Full Version : New Podcasting App - Pocket Casts

rustyshelf
27th January 2011, 01:29 PM
Hey guys, just a quick post to let you know that our new Podcasting App, Pocket Casts is now available on iTunes, more info here:
Introducing – Pocket Casts Shifty Jelly’s blog of mystery (http://shiftyjelly.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/introducing-pocket-casts/)

We've been using this every day for almost a month now, tweaking it as we went. Now that Apple have finally approved it you can too ;)

Also feel free to post any feedback you may have here, this is only version 1.0 and there's so many more things we want to do. We kept the functionality light just in case Apple bounced us like a rubber chicken...but all they took issue with in the end was streaming over 3G (which we plan to put back in, just using their player instead). :cool:

ajbeardy
27th January 2011, 01:41 PM
Installed this today, will be pleased to avoid using iTunes for Podcasts.

It would be good if you could change the layout of the front screen (rather than the icons, or at least smaller icons). Also (I did send an email on this) can it handle podcasts which are a subscription service and you need to enter a username/password etc.

Great App.:)

rustyshelf
27th January 2011, 02:10 PM
Installed this today, will be pleased to avoid using iTunes for Podcasts.

It would be good if you could change the layout of the front screen (rather than the icons, or at least smaller icons). Also (I did send an email on this) can it handle podcasts which are a subscription service and you need to enter a username/password etc.

Great App.:)

Thanks! Can you give me an example of a podcast that needs a username password? Can't say I've ever heard of that before, but we're learning a lot today about how varied the world of podcasting is ;)

ajbeardy
27th January 2011, 02:16 PM
Mac Geek Gab Premium Podcast , they have a premium podcast which requires username/password.

See this feed:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/podcast/premium/mac_geek_gab/aac/

rustyshelf
27th January 2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks, will take a look at what's required, but it won't be possible without an app update.

Apoptosis
28th January 2011, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately I'm finding it very hit and miss with actually downloading podcasts.
Quite slow on wifi and they seem to simply stall somtimes for no reason :/

I haven't narrowed it down to anything in particular yet.

I really want to ditch Podcaster for this app!

rustyshelf
28th January 2011, 09:42 PM
Unfortunately I'm finding it very hit and miss with actually downloading podcasts.
Quite slow on wifi and they seem to simply stall somtimes for no reason :/

I haven't narrowed it down to anything in particular yet.

I really want to ditch Podcaster for this app!

The only time I've seen slow downloads is when a new podcast comes out and people slam the server that the podcast lives on (so whoever hosts it). There shouldn't be any reason they download in our app any slower than they would in Podcaster or iTunes on your iPhone. Happy to hear more though if you can find some kind of connection/reason?

teamshaw
16th February 2011, 11:23 AM
I've also experienced slow downloads, usually ending in a timeout, especially over wifi. I'm on a 3G which might contribute to the issue?

Apoptosis
16th February 2011, 12:47 PM
Mmm but restarting the downloads seems to make them work generally. But still, shouldn't need to do that.

Also, when using it with bluetooth in my car: I generally leave the app open and let the phone lock itself (or I lock it) while im driving. When I stop and turn the car off it pauses the podcast as it should. However, next time I unlock my phone it'll start the podcast playing again without me hitting play. Pretty annoying. Otherwise I've stopped using the other app I was using.

rustyshelf
16th February 2011, 01:58 PM
Also, when using it with bluetooth in my car: I generally leave the app open and let the phone lock itself (or I lock it) while im driving. When I stop and turn the car off it pauses the podcast as it should. However, next time I unlock my phone it'll start the podcast playing again without me hitting play. Pretty annoying. Otherwise I've stopped using the other app I was using.

Yeah we've fixed that, just waiting for Apple to approve the update.

Also fixed a potential cause of the slow downloads for some people. No guarantees since we could never actually reproduce it on any of our phones, but hopefully :)

fother
16th February 2011, 02:05 PM
Is there a way to re-order the podcasts? At the moment my most liked podcasts are well below the fold - would like to put them at the top...

rustyshelf
16th February 2011, 06:52 PM
Is there a way to re-order the podcasts? At the moment my most liked podcasts are well below the fold - would like to put them at the top...

At the moment no, though in the version in review you can change to a smaller grid view that gives you 12 to a page. We're playing with manual re-ordering but it's proving harder than I thought to get just right.

What's also being a bit of a pain is that Apple seem to sit on our updates for 2-3 weeks at a time. All our other apps get approved within days. Do you think they're trying to tell us something, or do weather apps go to different reviewers to podcast apps?

fother
16th February 2011, 07:37 PM
ok, that's cool - thanks

weird about the slower reviews :slant:

gerryicle
16th February 2011, 08:24 PM
We're playing with manual re-ordering but it's proving harder than I thought to get just right.

I know why you've decided to do a custom interface, but I'd love a standard, boring iPhone app interface. I hate the icon view and can't imagine making them smaller will help with visibility. The titles are already too small :)

rjch
16th February 2011, 08:57 PM
Using it for the last two weeks. For some reason it does not notify me of new podcasts. I have to do that manually. Some podcasts it cannot locate / see available podcasts at all. Downloading is buggy. When finished one podcast it does not go to the next in the list, but mostly starts the one i've just listened too (i.e. i want them in chronological series). The interface is confusing and options non-intuitive (e.g. deleting, or updating). I listen to about 20 podcasts regularly, so having the last two available (if it worked for me) is not the best. It would be great if it could handle iTunes U content. A less cluttered layout would be preferable. Otherwise, it looks promising (! despite my gripes). It could be improved a great deal.

ShavedGoat
16th February 2011, 09:10 PM
Been using it for a week or two now as my exclusive podcatcher. Had great communication from the Dev.

I am also seeing the same issues as most people. Annoying one for me is the podcast auto-playing after the screen is unlocked. When you look at the "now Playing" button there is nothing playing but it is. ShiftyJelly have already said they have this bug in for repair. Hope the update fixes this and any other nagging issues. Its a great app.

A suggestion:
When a podcast has a new episode and there are un-played episodes would it be possible to have two notification badges? One for downloaded, un-played podcasts and one for podcasts available for download.

skritter
17th February 2011, 12:19 AM
Nice mention on the latest appisode from AppAdvice.com

AppAdvice EXTRA: Best Podcast Apps For iPhone :: AppAdvice (http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/02/appadvice-extra-podcast-apps-iphone/)

rustyshelf
19th February 2011, 11:03 AM
Ok I have some good news, and some bad news. The good news is that v1.1 has been approved, and should fix all those autoplay issues, as well as a lot of other bugs. It also adds some nice new features like a different grid layout that you can choose.

The bad news? Any episodes downloaded in v1.0 won't play in v1.1. This is a monumental stuff up on my part and not intentional :(
Version 1.1.1 has already been submitted to Apple for this issue, and I've asked them to expedite the review. In the meantime if you upgrade you can delete any downloaded episodes and re-download them to get it to work. Episodes that haven't been downloaded are not affected. So you're call, either upgrade or wait for the next update. Hopefully Apple approves it in the next few days, but you just never know with them.

Apoptosis
20th March 2011, 09:24 PM
Hey again,

Few more things that are bugging me (but I'm using this exclusively as my Podcast thingy (despite buying another one which the guy who wrote Reeder app recommended but is just counter intuitive...)).

Whenever you pull your headphones out, or turn off the car (even if the app is backgrounding) it will mute my volume! I then have to manually increase it again.

Also, I'd love a way to mark podcasts as finished. I generally stop a few min from the end of casts since it's boring wrap up stuff anyway. But as there is no way to mark read it still shows up as new sometimes.

Also on that point, in the main grid view, the numbers don't seem to make sense to me? Do they denote # downloaded eps? # unplayed eps? or #unplayed but downloaded eps? At the moment I have nfi what that number is telling me as it never seems to tally with anything :/

The wifi download thing is mostly fixed - but all the podcasts by 5by5 download stupidly slowly compared to Twit etc :(

Sorry that every post I've made wrt to this app has been a whinge. I do really like it, and it's on my first home screen!!!

skritter
21st March 2011, 09:48 AM
Hey again,
......Whenever you pull your headphones out, or turn off the car (even if the app is backgrounding) it will mute my volume! I then have to manually increase it again........

Normal iPod app operation is that when headphones are pulled the 'Track' 'Podcast' stops

I love the fact that just pulling the headphone out turns off play at the same time.

Does it NOT work this way on Pocket Casts?

Apoptosis
21st March 2011, 09:56 AM
Yes, the podcast stops as per usual iOS operation. But it then lowers the multimedia volume of the OS to 'mute'.

So if you open another app which wants to make sounds it wont. Or if you reopen PocketCasts to listen to the podcast via bluetooth or the phone speaker you'll hear nothing because the volume is off.

Normal iPod app operation is that when headphones are pulled the 'Track' 'Podcast' stops

I love the fact that just pulling the headphone out turns off play at the same time.

Does it NOT work this way on Pocket Casts?

rustyshelf
22nd March 2011, 11:38 AM
Hey again,

Few more things that are bugging me (but I'm using this exclusively as my Podcast thingy (despite buying another one which the guy who wrote Reeder app recommended but is just counter intuitive...)).

Whenever you pull your headphones out, or turn off the car (even if the app is backgrounding) it will mute my volume! I then have to manually increase it again.

This is true...we do that as a workaround to the player automatically starting back up when you unlock the app, but I think we've found a smarter way to do that in the next version.

Also, I'd love a way to mark podcasts as finished. I generally stop a few min from the end of casts since it's boring wrap up stuff anyway. But as there is no way to mark read it still shows up as new sometimes.

There is, just delete the podcast. That's how the app is designed.

Also on that point, in the main grid view, the numbers don't seem to make sense to me? Do they denote # downloaded eps? # unplayed eps? or #unplayed but downloaded eps? At the moment I have nfi what that number is telling me as it never seems to tally with anything :/

The number is the amount of podcast that are unplayed, regardless of whether they are downloaded or not.

The wifi download thing is mostly fixed - but all the podcasts by 5by5 download stupidly slowly compared to Twit etc

Sorry that every post I've made wrt to this app has been a whinge. I do really like it, and it's on my first home screen!!!

No worries, sorry it took a while to get back to you, I've been out camping. Also not much we can do, sounds like Dan needs to beef up his podcast server to enable faster downloads :)