PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Penrith?

MattR
26th January 2011, 05:08 PM
Heard from a little birdie something about council approval for a Penrith store...

morgan
26th January 2011, 07:01 PM
Do people in Penrith even buy computers?

u98925
26th January 2011, 09:21 PM
Where would they put it? Inside Panthers? At the Regatta Centre.....guessing the Plaza is really the only place!

stewy38
27th January 2011, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=MattR;1072334]Heard from a little birdie something about council approval for a Penrith store...[/

Not a bad idea for a store. Would fine it easier to drive up to Penrith then trying to get Castle Hill or anywhere else for that matter.

ts10
28th January 2011, 12:49 PM
I've also heard this is happening. Plus quite a few other stores in 2011/12.

Anyone here from Miranda?

stewy38
29th January 2011, 08:27 AM
I've also heard this is happening. Plus quite a few other stores in 2011/12.

Do you mind sharing where the other stores may open in 2011/2012

ts10
30th January 2011, 03:24 PM
Do you mind sharing where the other stores may open in 2011/2012

Unfortunately I don't know anything more specific. Just that Miranda and Penrith are possible locations.

Zannh
30th January 2011, 03:39 PM
I heard this rumour over the christmas break too but with some added details.

It will be in Westfield Penrith (more frequently called Penrith Plaza by the locals) and will be on the site where Espirt and Portmans currently are. Coincidentally Esprit was boarded up just this past week.

Spectacular291
31st January 2011, 04:35 AM
I must say, I live within 25 minutes of the area, and that shop front seems quite small for an Apple shop, but then the Chatswood outlet does pretty well also

Zannh
2nd February 2011, 04:42 PM
Assuming the rumour is true and it does end up occupying the space of the two stores I've been told it will then apart from the majors and perhaps the EB games on the upper level I'm pretty sure it would be the biggest shop front in the centre.

krnageskillz
3rd February 2011, 08:22 AM
The rumor is true. Apple have listed apply for Penrith store jobs.

decryption
3rd February 2011, 05:19 PM
Hooray, another store.

http://www.mactalk.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Screen-shot-2011-02-03-at-6.15.40-PM.png

Bogus Jimmy
3rd February 2011, 05:25 PM
Sucks to be Adelaide.

gumby08
3rd February 2011, 05:43 PM
Sucks to be Adelaide.

And Canberra :(

Ecto1
3rd February 2011, 06:01 PM
When will Victoria get a 3rd store that's closer to the city then the current ones? What is it about NSW?

Steve_D
3rd February 2011, 06:18 PM
Sucks to be Adelaide.

Tell us about it.

:(

Phormic
3rd February 2011, 06:45 PM
Good Lord. New York, Paris, Barcelona, Milan... er, Penrith?

decryption
3rd February 2011, 07:56 PM
Good Lord. New York, Paris, Barcelona, Milan... er, Penrith?

Don't forget the world renown Doncaster store...

dacoda
3rd February 2011, 08:47 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

GlossyMac
3rd February 2011, 10:00 PM
Next time I'm in NSW, I plan on going to all the Apple Stores.. Oh the life of a geek :P

GlossyMac

gareth
3rd February 2011, 11:49 PM
What is it about NSW? Money :laugh:

NSW 7.2 million people
VIC 5.5 million

barefootman
4th February 2011, 12:29 AM
I've just moved to the Sunshine Coast from Sydney and am having withdrawal symptoms. Going to the Apple counter and JB Hi-Fi and Myers just doesn't cut it!

benixau
4th February 2011, 06:42 AM
I mean, I love apple gear as much as the next bloke. But Penrith?
I guess if they wanted a store in the west it's kinda Penrith, Blacktown or Campbelltown and Penrith gives them access to the Blue Mountains where a fair few people live who are likely to buy Apple computers. And the plaza is easy to get to via the motorways

Phormic
4th February 2011, 06:52 AM
I mean, I love apple gear as much as the next bloke. But Penrith?
I guess if they wanted a store in the west it's kinda Penrith, Blacktown or Campbelltown and Penrith gives them access to the Blue Mountains where a fair few people live who are likely to buy Apple computers. And the plaza is easy to get to via the motorways

There's actually a fair bit of money around the western fringe, along the Nepean and in the walled communities a bit further south. As you mention, they'll also pick up business from the Blue Mountains and north to Richmond. Probably a better move than sticking one in Parramatta.

4th February 2011, 08:16 AM
To those couple of people who posted sarcastic comments in relation to Penrith, can I just clarify; Penrith is a diverse area with a broad range of people of various socioeconomic profiles. Sure, there are some areas in Penrith that are a bit dodgy, just like there are areas in most suburbs that attract the same demographic.

In some of Penrith's areas it's possible to drop $700-$900k on a home, there are rural areas out there, dense commerce, large new estates, the Blue Mountains etc. It's a growing area that attracts a wide range of people. A few retail stores in Penrith sell Apple gear (and Next Byte were there up until a few years ago) and those stores do very well. An Apple store will also do very well there. The local HN store is amongst the best performing in the state.

Comments like "Do people from Penrith even buy computers" displays ignorance, arrogance and poor intelligence which is a real shame and as an Apple user and someone who has lived in that area I'm embarrassed for you.

dotnet
4th February 2011, 10:50 AM
Don't you just love the "my village is bigger than yours, we deserve an Apple Store first" whining?

Cheers
Steffen.

Zannh
4th February 2011, 11:16 AM
I'm just going to reiterate what others have said about some of the ignorant comments about Penrith.

Question and laugh at Apple's choice to open a store in Penrith all you like but the fact of the matter is there are quite a few major retailers in this country for who the number 1 store in their company is penrith. And if there not no 1 there usually not far off it.

Apple aren't idiots they've done there research and know there is a lot of potential in a store at Penrith.

midnight_e
4th February 2011, 02:03 PM
A little history.

About 15 or so years ago there was a shop that was Apple centered, I think it was called the Apple Centre. It closed around the time that the coloured iMacs came on the scene, so really just before Apple started to get some cred again.
Don't know how long it had been here.

NextByte had its shop in Batt Street for anyone who knows Penrith, was so often empty, had nothing of the hype of an Apple Store. Location was ridiculous. Probably closed 2004/2005.

Since then its been Myers, Dick Smith, JB HiFi.
Domayne had Apple stuff for a few years, again little traffic, shut up that part of the shop, either last year or late 2009.
Myers is now doing less and less.

krnageskillz
4th February 2011, 03:04 PM
When will Victoria get a 3rd store that's closer to the city then the current ones? What is it about NSW?

There must be more apple G33ks in NSW than VIC.

I heard on the grape vine a few years back that Apple was trying to open a flagship store in Melbourne but they had some issues with council. I don;t know how true it is but it could explain why they are not focused on VIC at the moment.

I predicted a Penrith store would open not long after Castle Towers because Parramatta is too close to Castle Hill and there is no premium dealers in Penrith so it would make sense they would open a store. Also you get people from The Blue Mountains that was as well.

The Nepean region is very diverse and Apple will attract both the Pro buyers as well as the Mac Mini buyers.

shortlex
5th February 2011, 12:41 AM
Wow, I haven't been here in so long.

I work at the local Target store and we sell so many iPods. We usually stock around between 20 - 30 units of each ipod and during busy seasons such as Toy sale and christmas, we kinda struggle to keep with demand because there are so many customers wanting to buy them.

Yes we do buy computers. I have a mac and I bring it to uni every day.

It makes me laugh how people diss the riff in a very stereotypical way. It's like me saying all north shore folk are snobs. Which is the perception we kinda have over here.

I've always thought of having an Apple store in Penrith, We do cater for lot of the surrounding suburbs. I had few customers come from Katoomba and blue mountains. But I never figures where they're gonna put the store. I've always thought they would annex the homeware store on the bottom floor next to gamesmen.

shortlex
5th February 2011, 12:43 AM
I'm just going to reiterate what others have said about some of the ignorant comments about Penrith.

Question and laugh at Apple's choice to open a store in Penrith all you like but the fact of the matter is there are quite a few major retailers in this country for who the number 1 store in their company is penrith. And if there not no 1 there usually not far off it.

Apple aren't idiots they've done there research and know there is a lot of potential in a store at Penrith.

I concur, did you know that my work makes the most out of all the target stores in Australia. Fact!

shortlex
7th February 2011, 02:38 PM
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k533/mostlyicecream/riff1.png

Took this today, it seems they've closed down three stores. I would expect sportsgirl to be closed down too. This look like a pretty big space.

u98925
7th February 2011, 03:10 PM
Wow, that is a fair chunk of the Plaza....

benixau
7th February 2011, 04:51 PM
Damn.
I mean, really.
That's gunna be huge.

All the more fun to play for me to play in.
I mean, shop for work equipment *cough*

Zannh
7th February 2011, 07:22 PM
As I said previously it will cover the areas that were until recently occupied by Portmans and Espirt. (still a very sizeable lump of real estate as the picture shows)

Don't read too much into that store a little further down closing down as well. That part of the centre opened at the end of 2005 so a lot of stores are at the end of their 5 year leases and with trading conditions being a little tough are choosing not to renew.

shortlex
16th February 2011, 05:30 PM
As I said previously it will cover the areas that were until recently occupied by Portmans and Espirt. (still a very sizeable lump of real estate as the picture shows)

Don't read too much into that store a little further down closing down as well. That part of the centre opened at the end of 2005 so a lot of stores are at the end of their 5 year leases and with trading conditions being a little tough are choosing not to renew.

Here's some new photo that I took today whilst on the way to my vocal and guitar lesson. They've seem to closed down sportsgirl and I think their moving it up. I think the Apple store will be facing General Pants.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k533/mostlyicecream/newstore.png

Zannh
16th February 2011, 06:50 PM
yeah apparently sportsgirl is downsizing about half. As I said my information, which comes from someone I have no reason to doubt and who has no reason to lie was wrong. Meh.

timace
17th February 2011, 01:31 PM
Great, because I'd rather go out to Penrith than go to Castle Hill.

It's probably 10-15 mins further for me, but it's quieter, easier to find a park and get around than Castle Towers.

dotnet
17th February 2011, 01:56 PM
Agreed, even though closer, getting to Caste Towers and finding a car park there is a nightmare at the best of times.

Cheers
Steffen.

shortlex
17th March 2011, 07:52 PM
I've seen to noticed that several stores around Westfields have been renovating.
Nothing new to tell about the Apple Store.

midnight_e
17th March 2011, 08:52 PM
Here's some new photo that I took today whilst on the way to my vocal and guitar lesson. They've seem to closed down sportsgirl and I think their moving it up. I think the Apple store will be facing General Pants.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k533/mostlyicecream/newstore.png

That bank of shops now seems to be divided into two, there is only two trade access doors.
Sportsgirl is this end, probably Apple Store on the right end (in the photo).
Had a look when the door was ajar a few days ago, all one space and it is huge.

LithgowLights
17th March 2011, 10:54 PM
I was there yesterday and yeah it does appear to be a huge area. Cant wait, as it is a LOT closer than any other store in Sydney for us :)

shortlex
18th March 2011, 07:49 PM
I wonder what layout would look like.
I keep thinking it would like Doncaster

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/AppleStore_Doncaster.jpg

[EDIT]

Took some pictures of what's behind the black doors. Nothing yet. Just lights and pillars.
Saw a dude in a suit check out the roof earlier.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k533/mostlyicecream/e1f43c9a.jpg
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k533/mostlyicecream/f117b3eb.jpg
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k533/mostlyicecream/7ab73fc6.jpg

It does seem like a large place.

[Updated]

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k533/mostlyicecream/58e90e64.jpg
They opened the Sportgirls

jiffy
29th April 2011, 07:50 PM
any progress on the penrith store

timace
17th May 2011, 10:11 AM
Nothing new from the outside, last time I went past.

Pity, because I had to book a Genius bar appointment for my dodgy refurb'd i4 32 (proximity sensor from hell) at Castle Hill. Ugh.

jiffy
2nd June 2011, 06:54 PM
damn those black blockades!

when do you reckon its going to open, its always tough judging these things

Zannh
26th June 2011, 11:00 AM
I don't have a pic of if but that black hoarding got a couple of white apple logos on it with www . apple . com . au underneath in the last week and a bit.

benixau
26th June 2011, 09:59 PM
I don't have a pic of if but that black hoarding got a couple of white apple logos on it with www . apple . com . au underneath in the last week and a bit.

Saw them there today when I went past. I guess they figure it's no secret any more. Or they're close to completion and so feel it's a good idea to let it on

jiffy
3rd July 2011, 09:17 PM
anyone have any pics? havent got the chance to visit!

dentonandrew
7th July 2011, 06:30 PM

ROCKSTAR_MOD
7th July 2011, 08:38 PM
People in Penrith buy computers.

lostom
8th July 2011, 09:27 PM
After living only 10 mins from the Robina store ( gold coast) I took it for granted, used to go to all the time.
since we moved to NSW, it's such a hassle to go the city,
can't wait for penrith, still about 40 mins, but I'm guessing parking has to better than cbd, looking forward to penrith opening.

lostom
19th July 2011, 08:19 AM
Official, Penrith store to open July 23, 9am,

Free tee shirt to the first 1500 people through the door.

Guess we will see lion on instore devices.

tommelbourne
19th July 2011, 10:47 AM
Any idea what time the Plaza opens on a Saturday morning?
I'm keen to queue, but being near the end of a 500-person line would totally suck.

decryption
19th July 2011, 05:32 PM
Anyone able to score me a t-shirt and mail it over will get $50 :)
PM me if you can!

dacoda
19th July 2011, 07:51 PM
I (fortunately, but unfortunately) will be in Wollongong for a weekend break. Already booked the hotel for Friday and Saturday so I can't get out of it.

However, those of you who are going to be there at 9 am, maybe wear some sort of identifier so that other MacTalk users can identify you and give you a high five. I know I would.

It's tacky, but even something like a post-it note on your shirt saying "MacTalk User: dacoda" (or whatever yours is). Thoughts/Ideas?

(It might be a good thing if I'm not going, maybe I'd be the only one walking around with a post-it note on my shirt lol).

Zhuk86
19th July 2011, 08:21 PM
Amazed that there's going to be an Apple Store in Penrith, especially so close to Dick Smith and JB Hi-Fi!

simonm
19th July 2011, 09:16 PM
I (fortunately, but unfortunately) will be in Wollongong for a weekend break.

That is unfortunate!! (I'm from Wollongong so I can say that.) ;) :D

dentonandrew
19th July 2011, 09:58 PM

dotnet
19th July 2011, 10:25 PM
What, only four days to go and no queue? ;)

Cheers
Steffen.

dmeston
20th July 2011, 07:38 AM
Expecting thong throwing competitions or ugg boot catwalk?

dacoda
20th July 2011, 12:02 PM
Expecting thong throwing competitions or ugg boot catwalk?

Sorry mate, you're on your own. That must be a Qld thing. :)

mitty
21st July 2011, 12:41 PM
Insert obligatory Mitty bitching about a lack of Apple store in the Melbourne CBD post here.

jiffy
22nd July 2011, 09:05 PM
grand opening is tomorrow and im excited!!

hotjase
22nd July 2011, 11:23 PM
What, only four days to go and no queue? ;)

Cheers
Steffen.

No barriers now, just see through glass ! (FRIDAY 22nd around 2pm) Been to Castle Towers and It looks smaller !

Jase

OziMac
22nd July 2011, 11:24 PM
How long's the line at the bus shelter outside? :p

OziMac
23rd July 2011, 08:44 PM
Well? Awfully quiet round here - did nobody make an appearance?

hotjase
23rd July 2011, 08:50 PM
Here are the launch videos from PCWorld

‪Apple opens retail store in Penrith‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1E8XO0SZg&feature=player_embedded)
‪Apple opens retail store in Penrith (2)‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iOkwipNRh4&feature=player_embedded)

Jase

OziMac
23rd July 2011, 08:58 PM
Here are the launch videos from PCWorld

‪Apple opens retail store in Penrith‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1E8XO0SZg&feature=player_embedded)
‪Apple opens retail store in Penrith (2)‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iOkwipNRh4&feature=player_embedded)

Jase

Were you there?

hotjase
23rd July 2011, 09:04 PM
Were you there?

Around Feb applied for the "Penrith Apple Store" went to the Hilton in Sydney after the phone interview, then the hilton group seminar then called back for an interview at the sydney apple store , then got told sorry, ! thats its ,

so nah, not worth it getting early for a launch from this experience, some didnt go to the hilton for their seminar but went to Panthers instead !

Jase

u98925
23rd July 2011, 10:45 PM
I was there today, and have the t-shirt to prove it :-).

Was a moderate crowd at 9am, cheering started to die down around 9:45, and left around 10.

decryption
23rd July 2011, 11:54 PM
Well? Awfully quiet round here - did nobody make an appearance?

Store openings are so passé :p

dotnet
24th July 2011, 12:15 AM
I was there at about 1pm, the store was packed like any other Apple Store in Sydney.

I guess no matter how many stores they open there will never be a quiet boutique-like atmosphere in them, you're always going to have to fight for service and attention…

Cheers
Steffen.

sillydog701
24th July 2011, 12:21 AM
My t-shirt:
http://ant.sillydog.org/photos/apple/Apple_Store_Penrith_Tee_450.jpg

tyb1987
14th August 2011, 01:25 AM
i just went to penrith apple store 2 days ago...it's not bad...

mac_chick
21st January 2012, 02:57 PM
Its a good thing they opened it, much easier to get to than Sydney CBD and there is Westfield parking! Makes it less painful when you need to get stuff fixed or support from the genius bar. super cute genius bar guy called cameron too! Since when did tech support get cute?

torana355
21st January 2012, 08:14 PM
I got my macbook air from there today. Got 10% of cost price too :)