PDA

View Full Version : Share Mac External Hard Drive With Windows 7?

ChrisG
25th January 2011, 03:28 PM
I'm sure this question get's asked a lot but how do I set up my external hard drive that I have connected to my macbook pro and have it accessed on my windows device running Windows 7?

I have enabled File Sharing on my macbook and I tried to map the network drive in Windows 7 but didn't recognise the mac network.

Reason I ask is I have temporarily connected my media drive to my macbook so I can quickly convert my Movies and TV shows using the turbo.264 software (averaging 130fps :D ) that I bough on the mac app store.

idiesel
25th January 2011, 09:22 PM
So does the PC recognise the Mac HDD and not just the external HDD plugged into the Mac?

JaimeSharp
25th January 2011, 09:26 PM
You would have to look at paragon NTFS or Mac Drive to enable this though you should be able to turn on windows sharing chances are that you haven't done that yet though you have turned on File sharing which only applies to CIFS or AFP Connections though you should be able to connect once you have one of the above programs the external should work fine with both though it will be the fact that windows doesn't read HFS partitions you should be able to connect the opposite way from the mac to PC though.

ChrisG
25th January 2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I want to access my external hard drive that is both Mac and PC compatible (can be read with both OS's - NTFS)

I can connect to my drives on the Windows machine via my Mac but I cannot connect to the drives on windows that are directly connected to my macbook.

ChrisG
26th January 2011, 01:13 PM
Got it connected, had to enter in the IP address of the Mac in Windows (when mapping the network drive in Windows 7) followed by the User ID which allowed me to connect. All sorted.

gehenna
26th January 2011, 01:29 PM
Also need to make sure under Sharing>File Sharing>Options>Share files and folders using SMB (Windows) is checked, and enable a user account to authenticate the share when accessing from Windows.