PDA

View Full Version : OS X Web Authoring

jbillett
26th October 2005, 01:49 AM
Interested to know opinions and experience on website development software on the mac... software, features, prices, etc.

Disko
26th October 2005, 01:52 AM
Pretty much the same as the windows world:

Dreamweaver (and the macromedia suite)
Photoshop (and the other Adobe Apps)

But real webdevelopers use a text editor, and the best text editor (in my opinion) is Subethaedit. ;)

chuck
26th October 2005, 07:16 AM
Yep, main ones MacroMedia Suite - Dreamweaver/Fireworks/Flash and of course Photoshop.

BBEdit for Text, Imagewell and/or Imagetricks for quick and dirty image resizing, notation.

YummyFTP for ftp so you can bookmark sites and manage permissions on files easily.

Gothikon
26th October 2005, 07:36 AM
TextWrangler (free cut down version of BBEdit) although Textmate is getting better fast and it's auto-complete and tag completion are great.

Photoshop/lllustrator for drawing and editing graphics.

Graphic converter for batch conversion and dealing with various image formats.

Transmit for FTP

However one of the clinchers for web development on the Mac is having Apache, PHP and MySQL built in makes run test sites and trying out web apps on your own machine really easy.

Omnigraffle for wireframes

Mozilla for JavaScript testing/debugging and benchmarking

VNC for connecting to that pesky PC to check your sites in IE.

And you can of course use Flash/Dreamweaver etc if you want, but I'm not a fan of either ;-)

something2sea
26th October 2005, 07:42 AM
I use an app called RapidWeaver (found here: http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/index.php) yes it's not really your coding type app, but it's quite easy to use and quick (a bit like iDVD for dvds, but you get more customization, they make their site in it!!)

I did use dreamweaver, but it's SOOOO bloated, it's TERRIBLE, i do still use it for one of my sites, but, yeah, rapid weaver is easy and the sites look good, take a look at my site (http://members.iinet.net.au/~lester.cunningham) if you want to see an example, i'm not saying mine's great, it's just, yeah, and their site is a far fetched example, hehe!

and as you can see, i'm just using the web server that my ISP gave me, i would like a 'better' address, but can't be bothered paying, and the 50mb that they give me isn't that bad i don't think

iSlayer
26th October 2005, 07:54 AM
I do all my coding in Dreamweaver using code view.
Its bloated but it has the best code coloring ive seen so far.

Photoshop for cutting up images i get from designers
Transmit for ftp
Complete MySQL
Complete PHP 4(easier to use this then compile gd with the inbuilt php)
Virtual PC for running windows XP for testing in IE 6

BiRDBRAiN
26th October 2005, 07:59 AM
We use most of the Macromedia Studio apps (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Pro).

Most of the work we do in Dreamweaver is related to the visual design aspects of the HTML stuff we do.

The hard core coding is all done by us in Zend Studio. It integrates directly into CVS and now with the new beta into subversion, has awesome code completion, and even for the strong of heart, direct editing via FTP.

None of these are free proggies, but they are well worth the money, especially if you are a student, and Zend has great Small Business pricing for those of us who aren't big shot corporate companies :thumbup:

Botox
26th October 2005, 08:09 AM
Yep, RapidWeaver user here. Quick and easy and gets the job done. Not for pros though.

Nevets_Anderson
26th October 2005, 09:17 AM
But real webdevelopers use a text editor, and the best text editor (in my opinion) is Subethaedit.

BBEDIT

Rocks

sorry don't mean to start a text editor war....

Wheels
26th October 2005, 09:23 AM
Yes I agree that Sub Etha Edit is a great text editor! It also has tag highlighting so it makes your CSS, etc codes easy to see. I was recommended it and its the best one I've found so far. You could also use Xcode too though and it seems pretty good but without the highlighting.

uncyherb
26th October 2005, 10:50 AM
I must say that Dreamweaver 8 is brilliant as a text based web dev environment now.

Split the screen and code away up top, WISYWIG below...

but the best feature of the newest version (8) is the auto complete of tags... so if you type an open div tag, then a span tag, then hit </ it will automatically type the rest of the correct closing tag... a super time saver for those of us who like to code by hand.

My standard practice of opening a tag, doing a couple of carriage returns and then closing the tag, then arrowing up to start coding the line (which is safe under your average text editor) has now gone the way of the dodo... dreamweaver makes sure I close the correct tag, and if it closes a tag with something I&#39;m not expecting then I know that I&#39;VE done something wrong.

Combined with colour coding of the code (much like BBEDIT), tabbed windows and I think that Dreamweaver is the king at the moment&#33; I just wish it were cheaper for everyone to be able to use.

Disko
26th October 2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by something2sea@gmail.com@Oct 26 2005, 07:12 AM
I did use dreamweaver, but it&#39;s SOOOO bloated
They have really improved the lag in Dreamweaver 8. :thumbup:

BiRDBRAiN
26th October 2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah the code completion is a lot better in Dreamweaver 8.

MX 2004 had this dodgey way of doing code completion that made it hard if you had bits of PHP throughout your HTML.

I still favour Zend Studio for PHP coding. :thumbup:

W2ttsy
26th October 2005, 02:52 PM
hard core coders use vi :P

im a subethaedit fan too... makes life so much easier... dont know about the internet collaboration stuff tho.. its still a bit iffy...

W2ttsy

vargz
26th October 2005, 03:37 PM
Here&#39;s the contents of my OS X Web-dev toolbag...

Code editting (for XHTML/CSS/PHP) - Textwrangler, no frills text editting for free&#33;
Server environment - XAMMP package (Apache, MySQL, pHp, pHpMyAdmin).
FTP - Cyberduck, nice interface, synchronisation and its free.
Graphics tools (for interface or content graphics) - Photoshop and occassionally Illustrator.
Browsers - Safari, Firefox and Opera. I test IE6 on my Win machine.
References (kept in my bookmarks) - eg W3Schools, MySQL and pHp manuals.

I like Dreamweaver though I only use it at work on my Win machine (version MX 2004). I think it&#39;s well suited for corporate environments and managing smaller websites.

CheerZ :)

neo
26th October 2005, 04:21 PM
There&#39;s also the open source (and free) Nvu (http://www.nvu.com) which is based on (and extended from) the Mozilla Composer.

http://nvu.com/graphicshot.jpg
Click here (http://nvu.com/screenshots.html) for a larger screenshot.

It&#39;s a standalone app. Great for simple sites and for people who don&#39;t have HTML knowledge. Also works on Win & Lin.

Neo.

iluvmymactoo
26th October 2005, 05:07 PM
...and make sure you understand exactly what an ISP is. :blink:

Dreamweaver 8 (actually the entire Studio 8) is pretty darn good, or you could get yourself Adobe, I hear the Classroom In A Book series can be found in pdf format these days but not entirely sure??

W2ttsy
26th October 2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Oct 26 2005, 05:07 PM
Dreamweaver 8 (actually the entire Studio 8) is pretty darn good, or you could get yourself Adobe, I hear the Classroom In A Book series can be found in pdf format these days but not entirely sure??
bah, there is no substitute for W3schools (http://www.w3schools.com) and W3c (http://www.w3.org[/url) when it comes to coding references.

then for PHP its phpfreaks.com (http://www.phpfreaks.com) or php.net (http://www.php.net)

and mySQL

of course, there is also my favourite [url=http://www.google.com]Google&#33; (www.mysql.com[/url)

and i severely dislike dreamweavers code completion, since it wants to insert the ending code right after the opening tag, which is really annoying when you adjust a preexsting tag, or go to add a new one (<a href="" /> for example) it closes the tag before the text i want to add the tag too.. more work to fix it than the typing it saves...

text editor all the way...

W2ttsy

uncyherb
26th October 2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by W2ttsy@Oct 26 2005, 06:53 PM

and i severely dislike dreamweavers code completion, since it wants to insert the ending code right after the opening tag, which is really annoying when you adjust a preexsting tag, or go to add a new one (<a href="" /> for example) it closes the tag before the text i want to add the tag too.. more work to fix it than the typing it saves...

text editor all the way...

W2ttsy
That&#39;s the way it was in MX 2004... version 8 doesn&#39;t do this anymore. As I mentioned, it only closes tags after you start closing it... so typing <a href="link.html"> doesn&#39;t automatically close thee tag now... you can type away and it will only auto close the tag after you type </

Which makes it faster, and less prone to user stuff-ups than a simple text editor.

I code by hand almost exclusively... but I still think that DW 8 is the best text-editor for HTML, XHTML, DHTML, CSS and more that is available right now. In an simple text editor I miss having code colouring, autocompletion, banks of &#39;favorite&#39; bits (such as the text drop down for adding weird symbols whose % name I forget), the WISYWIG window, the FTP client and the ability to do test views in various browsers without having to save the file... their are heaps of reasons to use DW 8, but Macromedia know that, and charge accordingly.

If you can afford it, get it... if you can&#39;t then you will be fine with some of the text editors that have been mentioned (but not &#39;rockin&#39; in my opinion).

edit:spelling.

BiRDBRAiN
27th October 2005, 07:25 AM
I agree with uncyherb, the code completion problem was fixed in version 8.

I always avoided coding any PHP into my HTML inside Dreamweaver MX 2004, but version 8 is HEAPS better :thumbup:

If you are a serious PHP coder, you should check out Zend&#39;s Small Business pricing, its quite reasonable, for ~&#036;400 you get the Studio product together with Zend Encoder. Usually worth more than double that.