PDA

View Full Version : Change windows/samba share name (user instead of IP?)

adktz
23rd January 2011, 10:43 PM
Hello! I recently started using Mac OS X again and there's one particular thing I cannot find how to change no matter how much online searching I do.

I want to change the name of the Windows (samba) share that my Mac gives out onto my Windows-based network. At the moment it says "192-168-1-11" (my local IP) which is not very user-friendly (other computers have the username followed by the -PC prefix)! I'd like to share my files with my other Windows machines but have my Windows share on my Mac named to something I want.

Some people have mentioned changing my NetBIOS name in smb.conf, however once I worked out how to find that file, the line of text I needed to change wasn't there. Seems like a pretty simple option but I can't find out where to change this. Any help would be great! :proud:

glacierdave
24th January 2011, 07:27 AM
You're actually looking for the computer name.

In System Preferences, go into Sharing and, at the top, you'll see Computer Name. Hit edit and change it.

David

adktz
24th January 2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the reply David. I've changed that text, however it does not work. In the file sharing tab it says: "Windows users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at smb://192-168-1-11.tpgi.com.au".

OK! I think I just fixed it by adding the line "netbios name = myusername" to the file in /etc/smb.conf . Seems pretty strange I had to change it this way...

iryan
26th January 2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the reply David. I've changed that text, however it does not work. In the file sharing tab it says: "Windows users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at smb://192-168-1-11.tpgi.com.au".

OK! I think I just fixed it by adding the line "netbios name = myusername" to the file in /etc/smb.conf . Seems pretty strange I had to change it this way...

I think you can change your NetBIOS name in the WINS settings under System Preferences > Network > Advanced > WINS > NetBIOS Name

adktz
1st February 2011, 04:52 PM
I think you can change your NetBIOS name in the WINS settings under System Preferences > Network > Advanced > WINS > NetBIOS Name

That worked too! Thanks.

applohist
4th March 2011, 03:29 PM
wow you guys really are helpful around here, i'll be sure keep my eyes match sticked for you guys!

adktz
4th March 2011, 03:30 PM
You're welcome. And welcome to mactalk, enjoy your stay.

applohist
4th March 2011, 03:31 PM
Hey, thanks pal you too!