PDA

View Full Version : Frontrow working on other macs

BigAD
25th October 2005, 07:37 PM
So, I installed Frontrow on my 20" iMac G5 Rev 2 at home, and it works.

It is a little dodgy, but at least I got it going.

I must say it looks good and wish the new remote would work on older macs.

so....thats all. discuss?

Edited...

zedrac
25th October 2005, 07:41 PM
Well, isn't it a little pointless without the remote? :huh:

notb4dinner
25th October 2005, 07:47 PM
tuaw has instructions and a video (http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/24/reader-video-front-row-on-a-mac-mini/). Bit of a shame it has to run as a background service, I would prefer to just launch it and have it activate then and there.

Originally posted by zedrac@Oct 25 2005, 07:41 PM
Well, isn't it a little pointless without the remote? :huh:
Nope. A bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth mobile phone (through Sailing Clicker or Romeo) or a serial IR remote (once someone writes drivers) would all be perfectly acceptable ways of controlling it.

dangelovich
25th October 2005, 07:53 PM
I'm running it now... It's very sexy :D
Navigation works with the arrow keys and the Enter key.
I'd really like Apple to make this available on all macs... with or without the remote.

joh
25th October 2005, 08:13 PM
what's dodgy about it?

notb4dinner
25th October 2005, 08:18 PM
You need a little applescript to emulate the remote's startup button. Also I'm assuming BigAD doesn't own a Rev3 iMac so...

twilhelm
25th October 2005, 08:30 PM
I have a Rev 2 G5 iMac - would this work?

Any chance of getting a USB remote control or anything to work with it?

Let me know.

aaron_meredith
25th October 2005, 08:51 PM
OK.. Just an update and information for people who want to try this out...

1. DVD PLayer Does Not Work
2. iTunes needs to be CLosed when Started Frontrow
3. Do Not Install that Bezzel File
4. Movie Trailers are currently a hit and Miss
5. Works GREAT on any newer Mac (I have tried on iBook 1.33 and works FANTASTIC)

OK... Now if you own a SE Phone you can use the Desktop Remote Control that comes with the phone in the Bluetooth Settings.

Use 1 as the esc
User 2,4,6,8 as the Arrow Keys
and Use 5 as the Enter Key
Use 9 to Exit Frontrow without using the esc Key (or 1)

So now you have Frontrow Using a Bluetooth Remote, but still without the DVD PLayback (at this stage)

Jaffa
25th October 2005, 09:19 PM
yes, mine works on my powerbook too, but no dvd player or movie trailers. other than that it works great!

gmask1
25th October 2005, 09:23 PM
I was about to write about how it didn't work, but the running the Applescript rather than the actual .app file made all the difference...

Very, very pretty, and exactly what I would have thought the new iPods user interface should have looked like (it's perfect for using the screen real estate, don't ya think?)

Jaffa
25th October 2005, 09:29 PM
I WANT DVD PLAYER!!! {oh, and an icon for front row... mine just has the plain app icon :angry: }

Rayd
25th October 2005, 09:37 PM
got this one working last night, quiet happy with it, except that is sometimes doesnt "communicate" with iTunes sometimes, and it sometimes stop's exposť from working and sometimes stops apple + tab from working, also one more thing, it corrupted my iTunes library file so watch out :P

titan44
25th October 2005, 10:12 PM
Very cool,

I hope apple bring this out as a stand alone app+remote pack

queraxus
25th October 2005, 10:20 PM
It's a little slow.

Gothikon
25th October 2005, 11:16 PM
Just set it up on my PowerBook, love it!

As a few others have pointed out it seems to lose iTunes now and again but a restart seemed to fix that. Performance is variable, some times it takes ages to load up the list of movies or playlists in iTunes. What is really odd is that fullscreen video playback is performs better than using the standalone QuickTime application. Really odd, I'm running QT7 Pro on a 1.3GHz PB and it occasionally pauses, I don't have this problem when using Frontrow or VLC (I know VLC is totally different) I'd have thought any problems in QT Player would affect Frontrow given that they all use the same backend...

Seriously considering flogging my eyeHome if this thing takes off. I wish they'd release it as a product on it's own with a remote I'd have snapped one up instantly. However I expect we'll see it bundled with more Macs in the future and for a version 1 app it's outstanding.

Jimbo
26th October 2005, 12:39 AM
might i ask where didst thou obtain it?
actually you know what, i thought it was free (like itunes etc)

well don't worry then! :lol:

queraxus
26th October 2005, 12:45 AM
Disko edit: Front row comes with new iMacs

gurgle
26th October 2005, 02:38 AM
oh this is damn sexy

runs fine on my G4 800 iBook, bita lag when it initialises and then when going thru menus where it needs to load stuff (like my itunes artists, playlists etc) but nothing too bad
of course theres the aforementioned bugs with dvd player etc..

and after a bita searching round some sites its now controlable from my nokia 6230i thru clicker!

mmmmmm eye candy <insert homer simpson drool here>

EDIT: hmm ok this is a bit freaky.. anyone else after coming outta frontrow have NONE of the little minimise buttons working on any of their windows?

mm just looked and played around some more..
all of the apps i had open EXCEPT ITUNES now have no minimise buttons, or minimise functionality... :cmd:M does nothing. when i doubleclick on the top of the window nothing happens except the minimise button goes red. when i click on it then it goes back to normal colour but still does nothing..
apps i was using were activity monitor, adiumX, azureus, finder, firefox and itunes.

um anyone know whats going on here??

(prolly not considering its almost 3 in the morning, so maybe il check back after getting some sleep...)

EDIT 2: ok so after quitting the app and opening it again (relaunching finder) all the minimise buttons are back to normal. makes sense that they should, but still good to find out..

still weirded out as to why they disappeard in the first place..

f1_power
26th October 2005, 10:15 AM
This works beautifully with my PowerBook and was showing off to others last night about how I could control it from the other side of my room with my SE K700i :lol:

I hope Apple release an "official" version for the rest of us as it seems to work so well with most Macs.

Rayd
26th October 2005, 10:28 AM
DO NOT REPLACE THE FRAMEWORKS folder, minimize, expose, apple + tab and front row ends up buggy.

so remember do not replace your bezelframeworks folder.

Jimbo
26th October 2005, 10:38 AM
okay i can&#39;t for the life of me get it working, i replaced the bezelframeworks folder, and reboot, then run it, and the app just flashes and then nothing.

Is there some thing i&#39;m missing here?

notb4dinner
26th October 2005, 10:42 AM
That&#39;s the expected behaviour. There&#39;s an entry on the TUAW link I posted that describes how to setup an applescript to send the keypress required to show the Front Row UI.

Jimbo
26th October 2005, 11:18 AM
not anymore, there was last night, but he had links to a torrrent site to d/l it, so i guess it got....

notb4dinner
26th October 2005, 11:23 AM
tell application &#34;System Events&#34;
tell application &#34;Front Row&#34; to activate
key code 53 using {command down}
end tell

helloroto
26th October 2005, 11:35 AM
Yeap, Even my B&W G3 Runs it very smoothly, with the help of a Radeon 7000PCI and PCIExtreme hack :D

B&W Running FrontRow (http://www.roto.podzone.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Miscellaneous&id=102_1203)

Cheers,
Roto :D

Maticks
26th October 2005, 12:38 PM
from what ive read its related to the osx backend frameworks ect that arent in other releases of osx, has anyone tried using the new imac install disk on an older imac or powermac too see if it works. :)
Im curious myself but have no imac&#39;s to test with, maybe someone who works at an apple store might be able to run some tests. :)

Sherlock
26th October 2005, 06:26 PM
Various posts on other sites had requests for an icon. So I fudged my own (attached).

Using "Get Info" in Finder on the png file and the frontrow.app file you can copy and paste the icon by selecting the image in the Info Panel.

Jaffa
26th October 2005, 08:21 PM
thanx for the icon, its great&#33;&#33;&#33;

fuchingsiang
26th October 2005, 08:57 PM
Tried it and it worked almost perfect, except Photo and haven&#39;t tried DVD. However, on my attempt with my SE Z800i, there was a problem playing songs (the last stage, the "play" stage) from iTunes, I wonder if this is the mess caused by the Framework folder... yes I have overwritten the folder, anyway I could revert to the previous folder? I hope nothing goes wrong with it... I&#39;d use the .app straight away now... :cry:

ps. btw... it does lags a little when it&#39;s loading up from a huge library of media...

applecollector
26th October 2005, 09:16 PM
ok people i would like frontrow where can i get it, could someone please PM me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Devski
26th October 2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by notb4dinner@Oct 26 2005, 11:23 AM

end tell

What is this supposed to do exactly?

For me, Front Row shows up in the Dock and I need to click on it first, then press escape to show the UI.

This script doesn&#39;t bring up the UI for me.

iSlayer
26th October 2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Devski@Oct 26 2005, 10:45 PM

For me, Front Row shows up in the Dock and I need to click on it first, then press escape to show the UI.

Not sure what its supposed to do but i can tell you what the code means

It calls System Event which is need to send key commands to an app
keycode 53 is escape

{command down}
That means simulate the command key being pressed
So its the same as pressing command+escape

applecollector
26th October 2005, 09:54 PM
ok i have no idea how to programm it so could someone make it and sent it to me, and tell me where to install it?
PLEASE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :-) LOL

fuchingsiang
26th October 2005, 09:56 PM
I wondered for a second too, but after iSlayer&#39;s explanation, my guess was just right...

If i&#39;m not wrong, this applescript helps certain version of OSX - for some reason its key press does not bring up front row&#39;s UI - to send the keypress to front row.

fuchingsiang
26th October 2005, 09:57 PM
applecollector, did you receive my PM? did it work right "out-of-box"? If it does, you don&#39;t need the applescript...

Devski
26th October 2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks iSlayer (clearly my Applescript is much worse than my Cocoa)....

Running a 10.4.3 8F46, which appears not to need the command down

Dropping the {command down} works for me now:

tell application "System Events"
tell application "Front Row" to activate
key code 53
end tell

paulyb
26th October 2005, 10:04 PM
Has anyone got this to work with panther??

I have 10.3.9 pb and have tried it out and it doesn&#39;t work, but then i tried it on a friends tiger pb and it worked brilliantly.

applecollector
26th October 2005, 10:09 PM
It might not be working on my mac becuase i&#39;m running OS X 10.4 BETA
I&#39;ll try on my iBook in a few mins and i&#39;ll write back&#33;

Evad
26th October 2005, 10:11 PM
Ditto Paulyb... I have heard it won&#39;t work on 10.3.9

Has anyone had success with Panther?

According to Tim [email]Shundo@/2005/10/24/reader-video-front-row-on-a-mac-mini/7/#comments]TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com[/email), there is an updated Quartz component that is missing in 10.3.9.

Interesting it works on other Macs, though I do wonder if Apple will end up releasing it?

applecollector
26th October 2005, 10:19 PM
Just tested it on my ibook running OS X 10.4 and it launches and just says open and does nothing, do i need that other folder to be their since i only have the launcher and the text file and thats it .
PS: dont think it will work under panther

Devski
26th October 2005, 10:21 PM
I&#39;d be extremely surprised if this ever works on Panther.

For starters, it appears to use Core Image quite heavily.

You can safely put panther in the &#39;won&#39;t work and probably never will&#39; basket.

applecollector
26th October 2005, 10:33 PM
ok my finial post for today,
I got it to work under min requirments of OS 10.4

gurgle
26th October 2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Devski@Oct 26 2005, 09:45 PM
QUOTE (notb4dinner @ Oct 26 2005, 11:23 AM)
CODE

tell application "System Events"
tell application "Front Row" to activate
end tell

this is the code that you put into script editor and then export as an app. you launch the actual frontrow.app and it runs in the backround. it is the app you make from that code (i called it activatefrontrow.app) that when clicked on, activates frontrow. mine works fine with exactly what is there. place where i read all that from (cant remember now.. ugh) rekons its a good idea to put frontrow.app in your startup items, so its always ready to be activated.. works for me.

all in all i think this is awesome, i use my ibook as a music server in my bedroom when going to bed, hanging out etc, with it connected to my stereo through airtunes, and so this just completes the picture. and makes the money spent on salling clicker def worth it, not to mention the built in bluetooth (i knew a year and a half ago when i bought my ibook it would one day be worth it&#33;&#33;)

oh and ps heres another icon to use.. dont credit me, i cant remember where i picked it up from...

something2sea
27th October 2005, 01:17 AM
Does anybody know how to make it so that the Front Row.app doesn&#39;t show in the dock??

gurgle
27th October 2005, 01:31 AM
umm mine doesnt have it in the dock.. does any one else?

i just followed the instructions on some site, i can try and find it again...

something2sea
27th October 2005, 01:36 AM
somebody posted a link to a &#39;mail exchange&#39; website or something like that, and i downoaded the zip from that, and basically just ran front row, and made an apple script, i would like to have a global keyboard shortcut though, but yeah, i hate having that core system front row app in the dock&#33;

Kyle-K
27th October 2005, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by applecollector@Oct 26 2005, 09:16 PM
ok people i would like frontrow where can i get it, could someone please PM me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
can someone PM me too please

Sherlock
27th October 2005, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by something2sea@gmail.com@Oct 27 2005, 01:17 AM
Does anybody know how to make it so that the Front Row.app doesn&#39;t show in the dock??
Here is a hint on how to remove the application icon from the dock.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...010701191518268 (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20010701191518268)

Read the comments at the bottom, to get it to work in Panther and Tiger.
Unfortunately after disabling the icon, you need to find some way of activating the application, since you cannot click on the dock icon or Command-Tab to it.

For those that need an icon. Here is another...

something2sea
27th October 2005, 05:21 AM
so i can&#39;t just run the applescript that i made from this fourm?

Edit: Ok, i can, thanks guys&#33;&#33;

something2sea
27th October 2005, 05:38 AM
ok, what
s the easiest way to add a global shortcut to frontrow, like we have with dashboard ir something like that, i might actually just stick with ? > Esc, but how would i make that a global shortcut? (without too much 3rd party software?

Jaffa
27th October 2005, 07:16 AM
To make a global shortcut, the easiest way is to use xkeys. pm me and i may consider giving u the installer package ;) my package&#39;d front row has all of the icons and such but also does not appear in the dock. it also has instructions on how to use the F8 key to launch front row.

something2sea
27th October 2005, 05:24 PM
With frontrow, the movies section is a bit slow on here, because it tries to render the preview, yes, the preview is a good idea, but on my 1G 12" powerbook, without support for core image, the previews REALLY slow down the videos UI.

I was wondering if anybody has any idea how to turn that off, there seems to be no settings, but they seem to put hidden features into just baout all their apps, like the dock has the &#39;wvous&#39; blue blob thing.
so yeah, turning off eather the preview or the shadow on the preview? thanx
if anybody could help with this it would be GREAT&#33;&#33;&#33;

OziMac
27th October 2005, 05:39 PM
Apparently the DVD Player does not function - has anyone been able to get it working properly yet?

Jaffa
27th October 2005, 06:24 PM
nope, i dont know of anybody that has gotten the dvd player function to work. the movie trailers is a hit and miss as well...

something2sea
27th October 2005, 06:32 PM
well with the movie trailers section, it seems to come up with an error saying the server is not responding, i went into my local apple centre today and tried the iMac with it (the remote is GR8&#33;) didn&#39;t try the DVD player section, but the movie trailers sevtion did the same thing, so i think the movie trailers section has nothing wrong with it for us.

and about the DVD player section, i knew there was always a problem there, but i must say the slow videos section is quite annoying, when you browse your movies folder.

27th October 2005, 08:29 PM
i&#39;ve been playing around with this all day and have come up with what i think is a pretty good set up.

at apple script that has been going around
+
xkeys (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11127) to make f8 activate frontrow
+
dockless (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12516) to remove the dock icon

Jaffa
27th October 2005, 09:31 PM
Good Idea. I&#39;m going to add dockless to my installer package &#33;&#33;&#33;

Maticks
27th October 2005, 09:51 PM
I found this interesting article on how to run frontrow on other macs it seems its been done.

http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/ind...ntry_id=1262525 (http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1262525)

Donnie-Darko
27th October 2005, 10:53 PM
I managed to get the working reasonably well on my 15 inch powerbook (1.25 ghz)

I have it set up with Salling Clicker and a custom script from the salling site so I can use my bluetooth mobile phone as a remote. Everything seemed to work except for DVD player and I alwso had no luck with photos. if I try things like photos it gets kinda stuck and needs to be closed.

I imagine one of the reasons this has not been released for all older macs yet is due to the fact that it seems to require a fair bit of power to run smoothly, it is a pretty nice set up though.

Here&#39;s a tip for anyone with movies they want to broswe on a different machine.

I put an alias to a connected network drive from my windows pc full of tv shows into my movies folder, this works as a way to add a link in frontrow to that directory on the remote machine. It all works fine, including previews.

27th October 2005, 11:05 PM
i was tossing up paying the &#036;30 for salling clicker when someone pointed me in the direction of romeo (http://www.irowan.com/romeo/) which is free but only works with sony ericsson bluetooth phones.

cheers21
28th October 2005, 12:13 AM
Disko edit: Linking posts to illegal software gets you banned from appletalk. First and only warning.

If this topic is to stay open - it is to stay legal.

28th October 2005, 07:00 PM
does anyone know if there is a way to stop the windows of open applications getting their minimize buttons greyed out after running front row?

something2sea
28th October 2005, 07:44 PM
I must say that i&#39;ve use front row quite a bit in the last frew days, and havn&#39;t had that happen to me, i did make the mistake of replacing the webkit folder ot whatever it&#39;s called

something2sea
29th October 2005, 07:35 AM
it happened to me this morning (minimise turned off)
i hardly never use it, but it&#39;s weard, and yeah, i did have ? > Tab and all those stop on me, but yeah

something2sea
29th October 2005, 07:44 AM
also, does anybody know what framwork we were told (and didn&#39;t need to) replace for frontrow (i did it :&#33;) and now i&#39;m having problembs with things like ? > Tab, expose, dashboard, you know, cause i can just get it from another mac in the house running the latest uptodate tiger. but i just need to know what it&#39;s called, that&#39;s all

maclover
29th October 2005, 07:39 PM
hello,
im new to macs- when i open this it does not show the UI.
Someone said an AppleScriprt- but i know nothing about this or how to do it.

Can someone please guide me through setup?
thanks

OziMac
29th October 2005, 07:43 PM
Maclover - press the ESC key when the app is open :)

maclover
29th October 2005, 07:45 PM
Got it working...

That is SOO hot&#33;&#33;
great iCandy&#33;

thanks OziMac :)

zac
29th October 2005, 08:22 PM
Are we sure this thread is legal without posting pirate links?

Effectively, hasn&#39;t Apple&#39;s software been stolen, hacked and distributed through pirate channels illegally?

From Apples perspective, Front Row is intended to be an incentive for people to buy the new iMacs an incentive which has been invalidated by each Mac user who obtains a pirate copy of Front Row.

maclover
29th October 2005, 09:49 PM
how do you change the icon?
i have one of the icons that someone posted here, but how do i make it FrontRow&#39;s icon in the dock?

P.S- sorry- im new to macs

29th October 2005, 10:10 PM
as nice as it would seem to have front row, i&#39;m finding it pretty useless in its current state. can&#39;t play dvds, messes with minimize buttons, etc. i&#39;ve heard a few people mention that the minimize thing also happens on the imacs so unless it is fixed in the next update for me i think i&#39;ll remove front row and hope that they include a version made for other macs in the next ilife release (then i might actually be tempted to update it).

Buthidae
29th October 2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by maclover@Oct 29 2005, 09:49 PM
how do you change the icon?
i have one of the icons that someone posted here, but how do i make it FrontRow&#39;s icon in the dock?

P.S- sorry- im new to macs
Copy what you want to use as an icon to the clipboard
Find whatever you want to change the icon of, and go into it&#39;s Get Info window (File, Get Info; or :cmd: + i)
Select the icon in the top left corner, then paste the contents of the clipboard

That&#39;s it&#33;

Jaffa
30th October 2005, 09:14 PM
To mods. if you think this is illegal, please delete this post.

Mod Edit-Yes its illegal

designers_hub
30th October 2005, 10:27 PM
fantastic&#33;&#33;&#33; even without a remote is really makes it easy to access all my entertainment.

plus i have a short eye sight so the size of the font really really helps&#33;

btw, i heard you can use your mobile. will it work with a bluetooth motorla V3 Razor?

JAFFA YOUR A LENGEND&#33;&#33; thank you so much&#33;

i&#39;ve used Jaffa&#39;s package and its easy, no messy stuff and it works perfectly. fully functional, DVD works, itunes doesn&#39;t need to be on to start it up. its basically perfect.

Rayd
30th October 2005, 10:43 PM
if anyones interested i have the salling clicker script...

designers_hub
30th October 2005, 10:52 PM
will it work on a motorola razor v3?

Rayd
30th October 2005, 11:01 PM
no it doesnt.

http://www.salling.com/Clicker/mac/devices.html

iSlayer
30th October 2005, 11:06 PM
This is an official warning to all members

Anyone who offers to share any part of frontrow,dvd player.app or any other part of mac os x will lose posting privileges for 7 days and repeat offenders will be banned

One more rule breach and this thread will be closed

Jaffa
31st October 2005, 06:41 AM
okies islayer.

i shouldve thought twice before offering in the fiirst place...

stevejay
31st October 2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by zac@Oct 29 2005, 08:22 PM
Are we sure this thread is legal without posting pirate links?

Effectively, hasn&#39;t Apple&#39;s software been stolen, hacked and distributed through pirate channels illegally?

From Apples perspective, Front Row is intended to be an incentive for people to buy the new iMacs an incentive which has been invalidated by each Mac user who obtains a pirate copy of Front Row.
The day it becomes illegal to discuss hacking (as opposed to the actual act of hacking) is they day we should all leave Australia for a more democratic country, like old Chile when it was under Pinochet&#39;s rule or something. :rolleyes:

I stress that I agree with the hooky software link ban, just disagree with any who says we shouldn&#39;t discuss such stuff.

f1_power
1st November 2005, 05:01 PM
argh.....10.4.3 Breaks it&#33;

OziMac
1st November 2005, 05:08 PM
f1_power - how so? You can&#39;t use it at all, or DVD player stops working?

f1_power
1st November 2005, 05:38 PM
FrontRow does not launch at all anymore - You run the openfrontrow script and it will just not work at all.

I did have DVD player working and everything well.

applecollector
1st November 2005, 06:53 PM
The newer Version which i got from somewhere stop working for me too&#33;
Oh well&#33;

Rayd
1st November 2005, 06:59 PM
haha apple broke it :P nice job&#33;

Jimbo
1st November 2005, 07:03 PM
salling clicker script anyone?
?

or is that "illeagal"

Rayd
1st November 2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Nov 1 2005, 08:03 PM
salling clicker script anyone?
?

or is that "illeagal"
PM me your Email if you want the salling clicker script.

Jaffa
1st November 2005, 07:27 PM
damn it. mine broke too...
oh well, time to wait for someone to fix it again...lol

Sherlock
1st November 2005, 07:52 PM
Perhaps it is working, but it is just not triggering the needed activation key.
And since it is "de-docked" it does not show.
It may work if you re-dock-icon it and use the esc key once selected.

1st November 2005, 07:57 PM
its not broken.
if you had it set up that a shortcut (eg. f8) would open it then hold down esc and press f8 and it still works. launching also still works for me via the romeo plugin on my phone.

unfortunately the greyed out minimize problem seems to persist.

Rayd
1st November 2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 123@Nov 1 2005, 08:57 PM
its not broken.
if you had it set up that a shortcut (eg. f8) would open it then hold down esc and press f8 and it still works. launching also still works for me via the romeo plugin on my phone.

unfortunately the greyed out minimize problem seems to persist.
nice :) working again :D now, just to edit the script.

Jaffa
1st November 2005, 08:04 PM
ok guys. the problem with front row and os x 10.4.3 is an applescript change in the system. this is the new code that you will have to use. either copy and paste it to your applescript or download the applescript that I have attatched.

delay 0.5
key code 53
end tell

f1_power
1st November 2005, 08:25 PM
Brilliant got it working again - and finally got the remote program on my SE K700i.

Now for someone to fix the minimise button bug.....

maclover
1st November 2005, 08:32 PM
How exactly do we get the DVD player to work?

Jimbo
2nd November 2005, 03:41 PM
no idea, anyone? any ideas? perhaps it is its own DVD playing system? and it needs some kind of dealy that only an imac g5 posesses?

aquila
2nd November 2005, 04:40 PM
Version V plays dvds on my powerbook.

something2sea
2nd November 2005, 05:47 PM
hehe, they&#39;ve just made it harder for us to use front row&#33; thankx for that, i was relating to that for a while, then i worked out if you press F8 (or whatever you have it set to) then escape straight away, ti works Gr8&#33;&#33;

aafuss
2nd November 2005, 06:25 PM
I am getting the first Zim DVD (A R4 release would be nice)-I bet Front Row isn&#39;t going to access R1 DVD&#39;s on a R4 SuperDrive via DVD player or from the front end , only non-coded discs?

MightyAtom
2nd November 2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by aafuss@Nov 2 2005, 06:55 PM
I am getting the first Zim DVD (A R4 release would be nice)-I bet Front Row isn&#39;t going to access R1 DVD&#39;s on a R4 SuperDrive
Since Front Row is only acting as a front end for DVD Player it&#39;s only capable of playing what ever DVD Player can.

If you flashed your SuperDrive with a RPC-1 firmware (assuming one is available) you shouldn&#39;t have a problem playing non-R4 discs.

timwallG5
3rd November 2005, 03:29 PM
I have a problem opening Front Row. (On my iMac G5 Rev 1) When I use the Open Front Row application, it says:
An error of type -10660 has occured

Is there anyway to fix this?
The previously posted fix didn&#39;t work.

It was working fine under 10.4.2

timwallG5
3rd November 2005, 04:05 PM
Sorry&#33; It did work. I had to restart the computer twice. However, the menu bar appears occasionally while Front Row is active, and it never did before...

Rayd
3rd November 2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by f1_power@Nov 1 2005, 09:25 PM
Now for someone to fix the minimise button bug.....
grr, this needs to be fixed&#33; cant figure out how though :(

adamoliver
3rd November 2005, 04:18 PM
Where do I download a copy of Front Row - I have a 1.5GHZ Powerbook, will this work?

Have Mac 10.4.3 installed.

something2sea
3rd November 2005, 08:25 PM
I have a 0.8GHz (860MHz) 12" PB, and it works on here (the videos section is a &#39;bit&#39; slow because it can&#39;t support core image, but it should be close to perfict on yours).

andrewcod
3rd November 2005, 10:02 PM
[Disko edit: as iSlayer warned earlier (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=13234&view=findpost&p=111790):

Originally posted by iSlayer
This is an official warning to all members

Anyone who offers to share any part of frontrow,dvd player.app or any other part of mac os x will lose posting privileges for 7 days and repeat offenders will be banned

One more rule breach and this thread will be closed

See you in a week.]

Disko
3rd November 2005, 10:06 PM
^^ As stated previously:

Do not link illegal software from AppleTalk. Ever.

something2sea
3rd November 2005, 11:59 PM
Whoops, Sorry:&#33; nothing happened (in the end), i&#39;ll make sure i don&#39;t make any offers again.

dangelovich
18th November 2005, 01:09 PM
With the release of Front Row 1.0.1, we can now get DVD playing working on other macs...

I&#39;m going to assume you&#39;ve already got Front Row working...

Download the update from: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/frontrow101.html

Open up the disk image.
Right click on FrontRowUpdate1.0.1.pkg and select Show Package Contents
Open the Contents folder
Copy Archive.pax.gz to your desktop
Expand this file. Finder&#39;s built in archive handling did this for me. It also uncompressed the Archive.pax file within.
Open the newly created Archive folder
Open the Applications folder

Now, backup your existing DVD Player app.
Drop the new DVD Player into your Applications folder.

This new version is v4.6.3

Now when you start Front Row you can play DVDs.
On my machine, the menu bar was active during playback for some reason... I didn&#39;t experiment much to fix it.

I did all this very quickly, and haven&#39;t had a chance to play with it properly yet... but it does work.

spilla
18th November 2005, 01:45 PM
why are all the text label thingys flipped upside-down on frontrow on my iBook? :huh:

maclover
9th January 2006, 07:07 PM
Sorry to dig up an old post guys, :P
but my iBook was playing up so i had to reinstall mac os x,
therefore i don&#39;t have front row anymore.

Can someone please PM me on how to get it?

By the way, i couldn&#39;t gwt the apple update one to work...

jeremy_warnock
9th January 2006, 07:10 PM
www.andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/11/30/frontrow/

maclover
9th January 2006, 07:14 PM
Nope, doesn&#39;t work
when i go to it it says:

error 404: Datei nicht gefunden&#33;

Das angegebene Dokument konnte auf diesem Server leider nicht gefunden werden.

:lol:

Anything else?

the_OM
9th January 2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by maclover@Jan 9 2006, 07:14 PM
Nope, doesn&#39;t work
when i go to it it says:

error 404: Datei nicht gefunden&#33;

Das angegebene Dokument konnte auf diesem Server leider nicht gefunden werden.

:lol:

Anything else?
There&#39;s a freeware app on macupdate for installing front row on all macs called Front Row enabler.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19947

If it&#39;s on macupdate and does what some illegal software does, doe that mean we can&#39;t link to it? I&#39;m just reading disko&#39;s post above, if it does then please remove the link.

jeremy_warnock
9th January 2006, 11:35 PM
Sorry guys that where I got mine frontrow to work

he also had some os x86 instructions that worked and were easy.......perhaps hes had his knuckles wacked

jeremy_warnock
10th January 2006, 08:26 AM
try this link

i was jsut there

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/11/30/frontrow/

jeremy_warnock
12th January 2006, 01:43 AM
10.4.4 kills frontrow on non-"isight" macs. However andrew escobar has a fix for us

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive/2006/01/10/front-row/

carlow1
14th January 2006, 05:29 PM
Has anyone managed to get the movie trailers function to work? I&#39;m getting a message saying it can&#39;t find the server. Also I&#39;ve got a crappy nokia mobile with no bluetooth, can anyone suggest an alternative remote to use with front row. I have a iMac G5 rav B. Thanks guys&#33;

birdseed
14th January 2006, 05:33 PM
Hit the space bar when you get the error message and it should kick on through to the server - worked for me&#33;

mechcon
14th January 2006, 05:41 PM
seems fine to me after 10.4.4 and reinstalling frontrow
dvd player works, movie trailers are fine, overall? fine :D