PDA

View Full Version : Question with iTunes library

fca182
21st January 2011, 09:08 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to mac, just got my 21" iMac a few weeks ago. Never used a mac before (always Windows), but I think I'm getting the hang of it pretty well...
So lemme tell you how I like my music files organized and then ask you my question...
In Windows I had a folder named "Music", inside were all the subfolders with the artists names, inside that I usually had 2 more folders, one called Videos where I kept music videos and another called Albums where I kept the albums... sometimes a third folder with a few pics from the artist.
The thing is, (I was using the Zune software as my library and player) I just had to add the main Music folder and Zune would automatically add everything and leave all the original files and folders in the exact same place.
Now my question is, is it possible to that with iTunes? Because from what I've tried until now, it either makes a copy of all my music to the iTunes folder (wasting HDD space) or, moves my files to the iTunes folder (which kinda makes a mess out of everything...
I would hate to re organize everything folder by folder just to keep it tidy (I have about 80gb of mp3s and music videos), so is there any solution?

thanks a bunch!

grfxninja
21st January 2011, 09:15 AM
Open iTunes, then go to iTunes Menu > Preferences
Choose the “Advanced” tab, then set the 3 options as follows:
https://img.skitch.com/20110121-ts3hmgqh1wryi2x653727ui87j.jpg

fca182
21st January 2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks ninja! That worked!

SyncMan
21st January 2011, 01:38 PM
Also to the music folder preference method, you can use the option key just after you launch iTunes to force it to ask you where your music library is.

tcimac
21st January 2011, 06:48 PM
Open iTunes, then go to iTunes Menu > Preferences
Choose the “Advanced” tab, then set the 3 options as follows:
https://img.skitch.com/20110121-ts3hmgqh1wryi2x653727ui87j.jpg

grfxninja,

Can you please explain what actually happens when you click the "Copy files to itunes media file". Does this simply mean that when I rip a CD/buy it stores in the location I have nominated ??

fca182
22nd January 2011, 01:58 AM
Another question, when I add another artist or album, do I have to manually add it to the library or is it done automatically?

grfxninja
22nd January 2011, 10:08 AM
grfxninja,

Can you please explain what actually happens when you click the "Copy files to itunes media file". Does this simply mean that when I rip a CD/buy it stores in the location I have nominated ??
Yep that’s right.
I have all my music/media stored on a usb drive hanging off my Airport Extreme Base Station. If I drop something from my local drive into itunes, it will copy it to the "Elements” drive nominated in the image. (As long as the file is tagged correctly, it will place it into it’s Artist > Album folder, or create it if necessary).
If I copy to the Elements drive first, then drag t iTunes, it will leave the file where it is, and just add it to the iTunes Library without copying/moving the file.

Another question, when I add another artist or album, do I have to manually add it to the library or is it done automatically?

Yes. I am yet to be able to get iTunes to scan a source folder/drive for new media to automatically add into the iTunes Library (though I haven’t really tried either - might have a look this weekend…)

If you want to, you can turn on the “Copy files to iTunes Media Folder” so that any new media you add via iTunes is copied into the correct folders by Artist > Album. But if you like to store it a different structure, then leave this off.

sirstaunch
22nd January 2011, 10:22 PM
Select 'Keep iTunes Media Folder Organised' that will place them into, Artist/Album folders in the selected path where you have your media stored.

grfxninja
22nd January 2011, 11:15 PM
Select 'Keep iTunes Media Folder Organised' that will place them into, Artist/Album folders in the selected path where you have your media stored.

This is correct, except, if you are like me and don’t like the way iTunes changes the names of some things when it “manages” them…