PDA

View Full Version : Dock not responding, OS hanging?

snark
24th October 2005, 10:17 PM
I'm new-ish to Macs, and was quite surprised (and somewhat disappointed) when my mini started to exhibit some weird behavior. It would hang, or slow down to a complete crawl, seemingly at random. What I was finding was that after closing my browser, or iTunes, or mail, the dock would stop responding. ie. I couldn't launch anything from it, and it no longer "zoomed" when I moved the mouse over it.
From what I could tell running Activity Monitor, the CPU wasn't maxxed, memory meters seemed OK, HD wasn't being flogged. It just kinda stopped. I couldn't even log off. Or shut down, except by holding down the power button.

I thought back over what I had installed recently, and wondered whether it was iTunes 6 or Firefox 1.07, but earlier today, it happened when I was running Safari, and just Safari. So it didn't appear to be any newly upgraded applications.

The only other thing I had changed recently was my desktop wallpaper. I had downloaded some images from the Molecular Expressions gallery (http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/galleria/index.html), and set my desktop to tile them and cycle through them randomly every minute. So, I've swapped back to my previous desktop wallpaper (Abstract, cycle every 5 minutes), and have not experienced this "not responding" problem since.

WTF? :huh:

zedrac
24th October 2005, 10:20 PM
I have the same problem, it doesn't happen very often, but the dock just doesn't respond for a while. But my desktop is abstract, cycing every 5 minutes... :huh:

Rayd
24th October 2005, 10:29 PM
have you tried repairing permissions? and what are the specs of the mini?

snark
24th October 2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Oct 24 2005, 10:29 PM
have you tried repairing permissions? and what are the specs of the mini?
No, I haven't tried repairing permissions. What would that do?
My mini is 1.42 GHz with 512 MB RAM. The HD is less than 50% used.

The only other strange thing that is happening is that my Finder Help doesn't display any help. Open Finder, click Help - Mac Help, a help window appears for about a millisecond, then disappears. I can't recall if this has always done this or not.

Rayd
24th October 2005, 10:58 PM
when you install a program, it could change file permissions, that may make the computer do processes that it doesnt have to do, so you repair the permissions to keep your computer happy.

go to macintosh HD/applications/utities/disk utility. and click your bootup HD and click repair. it is more efficient if you do it off the CD so it isnt running it off your bootup HD.

kim jong il
25th October 2005, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Oct 24 2005, 10:58 PM
when you install a program, it could change file permissions, that may make the computer do processes that it doesnt have to do, so you repair the permissions to keep your computer happy.

go to macintosh HD/applications/utities/disk utility. and click your bootup HD and click repair. it is more efficient if you do it off the CD so it isnt running it off your bootup HD.
He means it is best to run the disk utility off the OS X install CD/DVD rather than the boot volume. I however use a handy little utility called ControlFreak that does all sorts of periodic maintenace tasks that keeps your mac happy (repairing permissions is the most critical of these possibly followed by prebinding) To find these use google (to search for the name) or search the versiontracker.com website and perform a search for it.

kim

PS, if you have trouble I will chase up the download links for you.