PDA

View Full Version : Mac 20th Anniversary iMac



stevejay
28th January 2004, 07:15 AM
The 20th anniversary G5 iMac looks like turning into vapourware. I reckon this one was always wishful thinking (on my part also :) )

Not that a G5 iMac would be all that far away, but I doubt it'll be badged as an "anniversary" model now.

Disko
28th January 2004, 09:40 AM
... yeah, it looks like you maybe right.

But it wont stop me sitting here thinking "maybe next tuesday... next tuesday... next tuesday..."

mbd
28th January 2004, 10:53 AM
It's annoying. I'm ready to buy, but have already been (slightly) burned buying a 1.8 G5 last October - it was superceded for the dual 1.8 just three weeks later. I wish Apple offered a 30 day guarantee after purchase, where you could elect to upgrade (even if for a token cost) if your equipment is superceded.

I will wait a bit more and see what happens.

purana
28th January 2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by RocketFactory@Jan 28 2004, 10:53 AM
It's annoying. I'm ready to buy, but have already been (slightly) burned buying a 1.8 G5 last October - it was superceded for the dual 1.8 just three weeks later. I wish Apple offered a 30 day guarantee after purchase, where you could elect to upgrade (even if for a token cost) if your equipment is superceded.

I will wait a bit more and see what happens.
What are you hoping to purchase?

mbd
28th January 2004, 09:31 PM
Hi Iodine,

I've recently sold my desktop and notebook in anticipation of new and better things, so I'm in the market for replacements...

The current G5 lineup was announced in June last year and shipped in August. Five months since shipping plus all the rumours about lead one to think that the current range may be superceded soon. And I know I'll be annoyed if I buy a 1.8DP or 2.0DP this week to have it superceded a couple of weeks later.

Also, with the 20th anniversary of the mac, and the rumours of something special, I figured that if the price was right, that I might be up for whatever that was going to be... Now that the three main target dates (being last saturday, monday and tuesday) have come and gone, who knows what I'll do. :-).

I figure I'll just wait till the next revamp, unless I find a great deal on something in the current lineup.

regarding the notebook, again there are strong rumours of an update to the powerbooks in the next week or so. So I'll wait a week, and if nothing happens, probably order an iBook, since their specs are relatively close to the powerbook range atm...