PDA

View Full Version : apple tv

Yellowsticker
18th January 2011, 09:13 AM
Morning all.

I have just purchased Apple TV, 2t time capsule and a MacBook Pro 13".

I have transfered my DVD's from my old driver to my time capsule. How do I transfer them into a format for Apple TV.

I have heard of handbrake but I am seeking advice from you all.

Cheers Craig

grfxninja
18th January 2011, 09:17 AM
Grab Handbrake, Convert to AppleTV format (preset), drop the resulting file into iTunes which can then stream the movie to the AppleTV over Wifi.

Sorry itís short, but I am at work ;)

Yellowsticker
18th January 2011, 09:29 AM
Thank you I will try it out.

I hope youtube has a video of it.

Craig

d_mini
18th January 2011, 10:55 AM
Depending on how big your collection is, converting everything via Handbrake may take you a while. It's not a quick process.

pyrite
18th January 2011, 12:10 PM
True, but it's worth it since all the current-gen iOS devices support that preset, even at 720p. If you queue them up and let it run, all will be gold.

If you care about having the right artwork and metadata in iTunes and on your Apple TV + iDevices, use iDentify 2 (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33814/identify-2) to tag the files before you add them to iTunes. This takes time too (it basically has to rewrite the entire files to add the metadata - nowhere near as long as an encode) but very much worth it to have all that extra info come up on ATV and other devices.

Programs like iDentify use databases like thetvdb.com and themoviedb.org to find info on your movies and download all relevant data - but all they have to go on is the file names of your movies, so make sure they're named properly and if you have issues, check the sites for the 'correct' title, which may include a year if something's a remake (e.g. 'Alice In Wonderland (2010)')

I have about 300 DVDs I've personally ripped this way, and as much work as it is, I'm a very happy camper now that it's all done, and I'm so familiar with the process now it's very easy to add new movies as I buy them.

pyrite
18th January 2011, 12:14 PM
By the way, that's a hell of a day for Apple purchases! congrats :)

crayonsresturant
18th January 2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks so much for the identify 2 tip. Once I get the no sound issue fixed on my new apple tv I'll give it a shot.

pyrite
18th January 2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks so much for the identify 2 tip. Once I get the no sound issue fixed on my new apple tv I'll give it a shot.

No probs, like I said it's so worth it to have that rich info on each movie or TV episode and everything feels a lot slicker.

No sound? Odd. My ATV2 has had that issue a couple times when waking from sleep but a restart fixed it each time. Annoying tho, was wondering if it wasn't initialising HDMI properly after wake. Thought it was just me.

SmithPlatts
18th January 2011, 01:48 PM
I use Permute for all my converting needs.
It's SUPER fast and has the presets for Apple TV and Apple TV 2 (apparently better quality)
I have found that, despite how good it is, Handbrake does fail me at times with certain videos or file types.
So I would recommend Permute
Just my 2c :laugh:

pyrite
18th January 2011, 01:56 PM
True that HandBrake doesn't cater for converting from other file types but OP was about converting from DVD, for which Handbrake is perfect.

Haven't tried Permute, looks nice and simple and might give it a whirl. Doesn't look like it tags as well as encodes tho? When I'm converting downloaded shows etc I use VideoMonkey, which on top of H.264 conversion fetches tvdb tags and burns them in, then automatically adds completed files to iTunes. It's not pretty and not intuitive, but once you get your head around the fugly interface it's great.

supafly
18th January 2011, 01:58 PM
iFlicks for me :-) Converts, adds Meta Data, moves to iTunes and deletes original file if I wish automatically. :-)

pyrite
18th January 2011, 02:00 PM
Nice, another one I hadn't heard of and looks like it does the important stuff. Will check it out :)

pyrite
18th January 2011, 02:04 PM
FYI, iFlicks is on the Mac App Store and comes in at $30. Looks great, but VideoMonkey is free. Get what you pay for in terms of UI I guess :)

SmithPlatts
18th January 2011, 02:26 PM
True that HandBrake doesn't cater for converting from other file types but OP was about converting from DVD, for which Handbrake is perfect.

Haven't tried Permute, looks nice and simple and might give it a whirl. Doesn't look like it tags as well as encodes tho? When I'm converting downloaded shows etc I use VideoMonkey, which on top of H.264 conversion fetches tvdb tags and burns them in, then automatically adds completed files to iTunes. It's not pretty and not intuitive, but once you get your head around the fugly interface it's great.

Permute doesn't add tags unless they are already in the original file; but I usually use MetaX to add all my tag information which is a nice, good UI, easy to use program that compliments Permute quite nicely :D
I will have a look at VideoMonkey though, hadn't heard of it...cheers!

Yellowsticker
18th January 2011, 04:53 PM
Oookkkkk

Now I have a bit to work with. I am using video monkey to convert my files to Apple TV.

What should I use to rip my DVD.s to Apple TV, Handbrake?

Cheers Craig

Smokebelch
18th January 2011, 06:11 PM
I've noticed that the last few videos that I've passed through Handbrake and then MetaX don't play after they've been tagged. When I convert them in Handbrake but bypass MetaX they play fine.

Just something to bear in mind if you have trouble with MetaX.

Yellowsticker
19th January 2011, 06:36 AM
Hi

I loaded a few files into video monkey and set the program to Apple TV. After the files had converted into Itunes all I had was sound no picture. The icon has the name of the film under it but the art work is white/blank and so is the tv when I go to play them.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

Craig

Yellowsticker
19th January 2011, 07:17 PM
Hi All

I have reloaded video monkey and it all works well :p

Is there any use in jail breaking the Apple TV and if so what are the benefits.

Craig

pyrite
20th January 2011, 09:20 AM
Hi All

I have reloaded video monkey and it all works well :p

Is there any use in jail breaking the Apple TV and if so what are the benefits.

Craig

Not having to worry about all this conversion :) Plus ability to install third party software like Plex, other apps. Not up to speed with where ATV v2 is up to with jailbreaking compared to v1 (which has many great hacks), but you have to take the good with the bad whenever you do it.

Yes, it allows you to run common codecs like avi but I don't believe it gives access to these in the standard ATV interface (?), you'd have to use a different app to play back other formats if my memory serves. And in my opinion, as flashy as some dedicated HTPC software like Plex is, nothing's simpler to use or less cluttered than the stock ATV interface, I love it. Not just for movies, it's the simplest way to navigate all your media in one interface if you have it all in iTunes-friendly formats.

The other obvious advantage of going to all this work converting media and staying in the 'supported' Apple environment is that all your media will work on ALL your apple devices, not just your ATV, without jailbreaks. I like staying in the standard Apple ecosystem because after years of tinkering and hacks, I tried sucking it up and playing it Apple's way and realised that if you play by their rules, it's actually less work in the end. Everything you do to unlock more non-standard functionality seems to open up new quirks, including jailbreak, and then you just spend more of your time solving problems you don't need to have. You often have to put up with sub-Apple UI stuff, poorer performance, more bugs... it's fun to play with, but not fun to live with IMO.

pyrite
20th January 2011, 09:36 AM
There's a great looking three part article on our own blog for automating this whole conversion and tagging process by the way. James Croft took the time to write a superguide to getting this whole process pretty much maintenance free after setup. I've been meaning to going through it for a while. From a quick look, it's not for the faint of heart:

Organising media with Hazel – Part 1 | MacTalk Australia (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2010/08/18/organising-media-with-hazel-part-1/)
Organising media with Hazel, Pt 2 | MacTalk Australia (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2010/08/20/organising-media-with-hazel-pt-2/)
Organising media with Hazel, Pt 3 | MacTalk Australia (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2010/08/25/organising-media-with-hazel-pt-3/)