PDA

View Full Version : Thank god for my 3G iPad!

susiegb
17th January 2011, 08:34 AM
Although I wasn't flooded, I was completely flooded In! All roads out cut by flooded bridges. Then the electricity went, followed shortly by the phone. My iPhone wasn't charged (scream!!) but my iPad was. That was my only way of communicating with family and friends. I had to ration my use of the iPad as I just wasn't sure how long the situation was going to continue, but it lasted!

On Saturday the Kholo creek bridge on Mount Crosby Road was finally passable again so I was able to go visit a friend, have a shower and re-charge my phone and iPad.(No electricity out here means no water too!) Electricity didn't come back till yesterday afternoon, but everything is fine now.

Just so grateful I had an iPad, and that I chose to get the 3G one!

jaselynch
17th January 2011, 09:10 AM
Very cool :)

TheKeddi
17th January 2011, 09:20 AM
Awesome! Glad your OK too :-)

EZYHD
17th January 2011, 10:05 AM
Had a situation with my iPad, my SP was down recently for couple hours at a crucial time as our daily order sending deadline loomed, switched on the iPad (with different carrier) and sent wirelessly to printer, all orders done and dusted, we just love having 2 systems in place!.

LeeLee
17th January 2011, 10:06 AM
indeed a magical device :D

Fedgrub
18th January 2011, 12:51 PM
Glad it lasted for you! I was rationing mine. When the power went out on Monday at midnight, I had 48% battery left and was using it to get flood updates from Twitter. Rationed it out and lasted until Thursday night. Not bad.

Balthazar
18th January 2011, 12:57 PM
Great story to hear, I have often wondered what would happen to my internet addiction if the power was out for more than 6 hours

will
18th January 2011, 01:20 PM
in our house.........2 hours and tempers fray!

(almost embarrassing to admit!)

ozhood
31st January 2011, 11:06 PM
I guess a cheapy generator or solar panel+inverter seems like a handy thing to stick in the shed for this sort of situation. Pretty cheap these days.

For the iPhone/iPad, a car charger could come in mighty handy too. All you would need is a (charged) 12 volt car battery stored somewhere and you could keep iPhones/iPads going for a very long time. You wouldn't need an actual car, just the battery.

Could also be used to power a wireless router if you have wireless broadband.