PDA

View Full Version : 5+ Gig of 'Other' Data... CAN I DELETE IT?

niickooo
14th January 2011, 10:01 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 16gb Ipad, as you can imagine it's pretty short on space, sooo when a third of its storage is taken up by 'Other', its a bit distressing!

http://i56.tinypic.com/11qr1ue.png

Now, can i delete this?

I have no music, so it's not album art or anything silly like that. It's also not video files in the VLC app or anything like that.

mmulhern
14th January 2011, 10:07 AM
You'll need to check what other Apps you have installed. For my iPad PDFs and other files in GoodReader take up more than 4GB.

eBooks in Stanza is another culprit on my iPad.

Something(s) on yours is responsible, so you'll just have to hunt them down and hopefully delete the unwanted content from the within the Apps.

Also, in iTunes, go to the Apps tab for your iPad, and scroll down to the bottom of the screen to see what apps are installed that allow files to be moved in/out.

teamshaw
14th January 2011, 10:37 AM
Could also be comics if you have a comic reader. They generally are pretty massive.

niickooo
14th January 2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah, i have had a few things tucked away in other apps before, but not this time. Like i said, i only have VLC (with the option to add files through itunes) but thats empty.

I dont have any e-readers/pdf/comic apps. Its very odd.

Could it be backup files stored on the device? Or maybe built up trace files from uninstalling apps?

Is there a way i could track down whats taking up the most space?

Stez
14th January 2011, 12:12 PM
Just restore and set up your iPad as new. Make sure you have all your photos, apps etc backed up. You'll lose your game progress and have to set a few things up again but if you cant find out what's taking up 5GB it's worth it.

kyte
16th January 2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah, i have had a few things tucked away in other apps before, but not this time. Like i said, i only have VLC (with the option to add files through itunes) but thats empty.

I dont have any e-readers/pdf/comic apps. Its very odd.

Could it be backup files stored on the device? Or maybe built up trace files from uninstalling apps?

Is there a way i could track down whats taking up the most space?

do you play games? could be saved game positions, stuff like that?