PDA

View Full Version : Lock switch back in iOS 4.3!

Stez
13th January 2011, 10:09 AM
No, it isn't a joke, Apple have had a change of heart and in iOS 4.3 beta you can choose whether you want to use the switch on the side of the iPad as a rotation lock or mute switch. This is great news. Hopefully just like the iPhone iPad 3G gets the Wi-Fi hotspot treatment!

Also looks like Apple are getting rid of the home button in iPad 2, because now with 5 and 4 finger swipe gestures you can go to the home screen, as well as bring up the multitasking tray and switch apps. Sweet!!!!!

Here (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/ios-4-3-beta-arrives-for-devs-brings-airplay-video-support-to-a/) is a link to show you the new features. Looks great.

andrewjclark
13th January 2011, 10:34 AM
Thats interesting. I never thought about them get rid of the home button - there again if you're a new person using it the home button is a very important UI metaphors maybe they'll leave it there. Beginners use the home button until they learn the home-scrunch-gesture.

A thought I've had... Won't the home pinch gesture be a problem for drawing apps which can register up to 10 points of contact? Things like pocket pond...

pyrite
13th January 2011, 11:45 AM
All I can say on the orientation lock change is, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU STEVE!!!

pyrite
13th January 2011, 11:47 AM
And on the Home button, I hardly think a new gesture to pinch to home screen means the physical button will be gone. Is there any other news/leak suggesting this?

Stez
13th January 2011, 12:24 PM
And on the Home button, I hardly think a new gesture to pinch to home screen means the physical button will be gone. Is there any other news/leak suggesting this?

Nope but I think that's where Apple a going to head. The button isn't necessary now, apart from a fish pond gimmick app which'll be restricted to 3 fingers. Boo hoo.

alzzla
13th January 2011, 05:00 PM
Yay.. So glad Apple will be giving us back the lock switch in iOS 4.3. The multi-gesture actions look cool from the videos I've seen online.

skyhawkmatthew
13th January 2011, 05:13 PM
Installed 4.3 on my iPad - I have the option to change the orientation lock behaviour, but not the multitasking gestures. What's going on? I hope they haven't made them available only on the 3G model.

Stez
13th January 2011, 05:22 PM
Installed 4.3 on my iPad - I have the option to change the orientation lock behaviour, but not the multitasking gestures. What's going on? I hope they haven't made them available only on the 3G model.

Plug iPad into Mac, open Xcode and tick the box configured for development. BTW, these OS releases are for devs, not enthusiastic Apple fanboys.

MarkW
13th January 2011, 05:51 PM
I hope they have fixed the Camera Connection to USB CF readers - please please please

How much do I have to beg :(

scar68
13th January 2011, 08:01 PM
Interesting backflip on the orientation lock issue.

I am not that keen on the possible removal of the home button. Would it be possible to do the multi touch "pinch" to get the home screen, while holding the phone with one hand? At work in particular I find I am operating equipment with one hand while flicking/switching apps with the other on the iPhone. This is easy with a physical button.

I know Steve hates buttons but ........

bitingmammal
13th January 2011, 09:01 PM
Would it be possible to do the multi touch "pinch" to get the home screen, while holding the phone with one hand? At work in particular I find I am operating equipment with one hand while flicking/switching apps with the other on the iPhone. This is easy with a physical button.

I know Steve hates buttons but ........

This is for the iPad only as far as I'm aware; therefore, you won't have this problem on the iPhone.

scar68
14th January 2011, 07:09 AM
This is for the iPad only as far as I'm aware; therefore, you won't have this problem on the iPhone.

That would explain it. I thought I must be missing something.

Cheers.

:laugh: