PDA

View Full Version : Just arrived - new Macbook Pro

Noideanewbie
12th January 2011, 03:17 PM
As my username says - im a total newbie to macs - and my new macbook pro turned up today. Im also a self professed techno retard but im learning!

I bought the ilife/snow leopard/iwork bundle - but im trying to find out what is already on my computer as i was under the impression i had to load these things - yet i can access for eg Garage band already. What is pre-installed on my laptop? (Doesnt help when i ordered it it read to me that nothing was.)
thanks

~Coxy
12th January 2011, 04:05 PM
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard (includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools)
iLife (includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)

Stez
12th January 2011, 05:04 PM
The only thing you don't have out of all that is iWork, so you wasted your money, go back to the store or ring apple if you ordered online and explain you were under the impression you needed the extra software. Also, if you're a ''techno retard'' you should've used the money on a Macbook Air instead to start off.

ExPC
12th January 2011, 05:43 PM
Gidday Noideanewbie. Welcome to the world of Mac. Better hardware, better software but still same old gherkins on forums. Give yourself a week. Feel your MBR and just explore. I'm an ex-20yr veteran of MS and bought my first MBP just 5 months ago. Best thing I ever did. Don't be put off by MACCIES, Fanboys and Steve Jobs wannabees. Enjoy the technology for what it is......for you!

Stez
12th January 2011, 06:33 PM
Gidday Noideanewbie. Welcome to the world of Mac. Better hardware, better software but still same old gherkins on forums. Give yourself a week. Feel your MBR and just explore. I'm an ex-20yr veteran of MS and bought my first MBP just 5 months ago. Best thing I ever did. Don't be put off by MACCIES, Fanboys and Steve Jobs wannabees. Enjoy the technology for what it is......for you!

At least we answered his question...

Noideanewbie
13th January 2011, 04:11 PM
He is a she - and since you are not aware of why i bought my computer please save purchase suggestions for those who ask.;)

ExPc - thanks, (also Stez for pointing out the only thing i didnt have). Cant really return anything since i have opened it now - might give it to someone else to use or in case somethnig ever happens and i need to re-load stuff.

Stez
13th January 2011, 04:12 PM
Where'd you buy the computer?

nibbles
13th January 2011, 08:19 PM
Under accc laws you have the right to return it as it wasn't stated that the software was already installed, Snow Leopard (your computer's operating system) comes with the computer so does iLife which is GarageBand, iMovie and iPhoto, they are the 2 grey discs that were in the box. As for iWork, that is not preinstalled unless you purchased it from apple online in which case it is but a call to apple if that is the case will get you a refund and then you can just buy the iWork separate for less (or wait for the latest version which should be due out shortly).

simonm
16th January 2011, 03:36 PM
Hi Noideanewbie (love the name)

Just call Apple (or visit if you live near a store) and explain that you're new to Macs and you weren't aware that it already came with iLife. You'll probably find them to be understanding and let you take it/send it back for a refund. I'd be surprised if they didn't!

Which size MBP did you get?

Wally
17th January 2011, 03:58 PM
I would return the Mac Box Set and keep it in the BEST condition you can. You are not required to install this.

Present the receipt for a full refund and thank the Microsoft Gods for confusing you.

tpc714
16th February 2011, 01:49 AM
new to mac as well,,, reaseaved a used mac pro from family company. has lots of software. moving around mac is like an other language. any suggestions were to begin.. PC user all my life. look forward to the mac life..

ednap
17th February 2011, 06:46 PM
Welcome aboard! Like many who have replied above I also switched to Mac not that long ago. For me it was after 40+ years way way back to DOS PC's without Hard Disk Drives.

I now have a wonderful 27" iMac and an iPad. Also bought one of my sons a MacBook Pro and my wife an iPhone for Christmas.

And Shhh don't tell my wife but she is also getting a MacBook Pro for her Birthday at the end of the month :)