PDA

View Full Version : Backlit on 15" has suddenly stopped working

dogmatic
23rd October 2005, 11:17 PM
My girlfriend has a 15" 1.25 Powerbook. All of a sudden the backlight feature on her keyboard stopped working. She was running Panther.

Today, we purchased and installed Tiger. (complete clean install) and the backlit feature still no longer works.

So in short... HELP! Does anyone know how we can fix this?

I've exhausted myself trying to figure this all out and need help desperately.

:(

Rayd
23rd October 2005, 11:39 PM
have you checked that the backlight button is on ? :P i know sounds silly but it does happen, and if the brightness it turned up?

also you might want to look under the energy saver prefrences and take a look at the keyboard prefs.

if it is indeed broken, get it repaired under warranty if you still have some.

dogmatic
23rd October 2005, 11:45 PM
...all affirmative. The options for it via Display and Keyboard prefs in Sys Prefs have suddenly gone. I figured it was a software issue hence the install of Tiger on her system - but it is feeling more and more like a hardware problem now. (DAMN!)

Rayd
23rd October 2005, 11:48 PM
i say clean install panther with the discs that came with the powerbook, then do a upgrade install of tiger. could be your best chance of getting back the prefrences :)

dogmatic
24th October 2005, 11:18 PM
I've done a clean install with Panther. Run Hardware test. Reinstalled Tiger. Still, backlight feature has just disappeared(!) The "illuminate keyboard..." feature in SYS PREFS > Keyboard/Mouse has also gone AWOL!

Incredibly frustrating experience all round... :(

yellowmike2000
24th October 2005, 11:53 PM
my guess is there's something wrong with the light sensor... is that possible?