PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - start something stagnant

invisible
23rd October 2005, 08:34 PM
Don't you think its a little strange for Microsoft to be hyping up windows XP with a huge flashy ad campaign 4 years after it was released? October 2001 was a long long long time ago in computer land.

Seems like Bill is trying to emphasise that XP is just as 'creative' as OS X to curb the growth of mac sales for that reason. look out for XPLife soon methinks....

just a thought.

feeze
23rd October 2005, 08:39 PM
It is due to the fact that Vista is loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong overdue and also the spate of security exploits that have attack over the recent years. Microsoft is trying to avoid a loss of consumer faith in their products and rebuild their image.

tommelbourne
23rd October 2005, 08:40 PM
Now that you mention it, it does seem a little odd.

Then again, XP is Microsoft's current offering, no matter how old it is, so it makes sense that they would advertise it (what else do they have?). This new resurgence is a little odd though. My guess is that they just want something to spend all their billions on.

dangelovich
23rd October 2005, 09:04 PM
Sales are down...
They want to boost awareness of Windows for those that haven't upgraded yet.

...and marketing had to justify their existence for next years budget :D

feeze
23rd October 2005, 09:10 PM
If I remember correctly, the whole advertising thing is part of a project called "XP Reloaded" (yep they can't even be original on project names).

It was basically just Microsoft going into damage control for the reasons I stated above.

plunkotica
23rd October 2005, 09:16 PM
my current desktop is a pc running xp service pack 2, i also got a look at a vista beta at a mates house..

checking out vista, its actually quite hilarious. mucking around, its like windows xp running the windowblinds theme software with an even crappier theme than the blue xp one.

but i look at it like this, let the windows users use their windows machines, more people using that makes macs more special =p

if everyone used macs, they wouldnt be so uber. i think owning a mac, is like belonging to a special little club of sorts hehe

borci88
15th November 2005, 10:14 PM
yeah maybe so but aahhh Windows is still...... mmmm Cool
since i am 1

Borci

decryption
15th November 2005, 10:22 PM
There's still an assload of users somehow managing with Windows 95 & 98. Microsoft (and every Windows Tech out there) wants them to use Windows XP as soon as possible!

iMick
15th November 2005, 10:28 PM
WIndows NT ROCKS!!! Plug and Play is for the SOFT!

benrick77
15th November 2005, 11:33 PM
It doesnt matter what they make, or advertise, xp will still be xp.
It will still crash, and will still drive everyone nuts, and will still keep a lot of pc tech's in business because of it.

When you are implementing an up to date XP network with servers and worstations and email servers and virus protection, there really is nothing WORSE than an updated system.. because yes there are lots of advantages, but the main disadvantage is that it takes 12 months for the service packs and fixes from third party software to be released before everything actually works smoothly again.. I know this from my time as network tech, where we called being on the leading edge of microsoft and network technology the bleeding edge due to the pain and suffering we took for the new service packs and worse, the "new" updated system like 98, Win 2000, XP, XP Service Pack 2!!!!

Oh hey, if anyone has noticed, microsoft has offically made their own antispyware software..
Funny thing is it works BETTER than all the other antispyware software, and I mean that litterally.. Wonder why it would work that much better??? hmmmm..

eudaemons
16th November 2005, 12:21 AM
LOL

Windows is still better than Linux from a user stand piont. I mean have you ever tried to install a program on linux....*shudders*

Mac OS X > Windows > Linux

morn
16th November 2005, 01:06 AM
XP isn't that bad, it's pretty easy and is stable, run norton internet security and it'll run mostly smoothly. It does the job without too much hassel, its not the best but it's good enough to work well.
Vista has some promising features. However it features nothing that OSX doesn't do already really, and mostly in inferior ways and hopefully leopard will add a ton of features that vista won't have. Still it's an improvement, technologies similar to expose and quartz in windows. Unfortunately they have not changed the interface that much, it's still task bar and start menu. But the API's have been completely rewritten. Spotlight and dashboard like features also.

Kuma
16th November 2005, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by morn@Nov 16 2005, 02:06 AM
XP isn't that bad, it's pretty easy and is stable, run norton internet security and it'll run mostly smoothly. It does the job without too much hassel, its not the best but it's good enough to work well.
Vista has some promising features. However it features nothing that OSX doesn't do already really, and mostly in inferior ways and hopefully leopard will add a ton of features that vista won't have. Still it's an improvement, technologies similar to expose and quartz in windows. Unfortunately they have not changed the interface that much, it's still task bar and start menu. But the API's have been completely rewritten. Spotlight and dashboard like features also.
Yeah that pretty much somes it up...

But Windows... regardless of which version pays my bills... (Every time I convince a client to switch from Win. to OSX the only time they call me is when they have a switching problem) Window users call me all the gorram time.

As for which Win. I can't believe there are still people using 95,98 or ME... it drives me nuts when I go to a clients home and I have to work with these... (mind you on a per hour basis it's good cause Im always going to be there longer)

Of my client base about 80% XP, 15% WinXX and 5% Mac

Quamen
16th November 2005, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by morn@Nov 16 2005, 01:06 AM
run norton internet security and it'll run mostly smoothly.
and you'll make techies everywhere curl up in a ball and cry. I deal with that turd of a program every day and every day I am on the verge of tears. It does things to windows that programs should not do.

blu3_v2
16th November 2005, 10:39 AM
Norton :cry:

NOD32 and Adaware are the only internet security and anti-spyware needed on a PC. Norton products hog RAM, mess with other programs and are generally buggy. NOD32 on the other hand is fast, compact and does everything you need.

Johnny Appleseed
16th November 2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by morn@Nov 16 2005, 01:06 AM
its not the best but it's good enough to work well.

Windows has been surviving on "good enough" for years. Unfortunately the masses care more for perceived compatibility than usability.

symean
16th November 2005, 01:56 PM
The best ever expanation I've heard is this:

"Windows is so popular because Windows is so popular".

forgie
16th November 2005, 02:34 PM
It's funny, because I never thought I'd find the GUI aesthetic to be that much of a factor in terms of the difference between XP and OSX. After going from my iBook to my 2.8GHz P4 system, the whole interface just feels.... amateurish. Outdated. I never thought I'd say something that sounds so superficial (I'm sure if any anti-mac people read this post they'd be thinking "oh here we go, another superficial mac wanker") about an OS, but it's true. I feel like I'm using outdated tech (which is fine) when I use XP, but it doesn't make sense when I could be using up to date tech (OSX) for virtually the same price.

Looks like I'll be waiting until we get intel iMacs (please god [not that I believe in you], let that time be soon!) then I'll sell my P4 box, keep my 19" LCD, plug it into my 20" dual-core intel iMac, and be in computing heaven. It'll look freaking sweet as well as running smooth as silk. Exciting times ahead. And it's a damn good time to have jumped aboard the mac wagon - I was only ever tossing up getting one (I've been in windows since 1997 when I started high school and we were required to get windows laptops.... yuk) but when they announced the intel switch I was sold on the future of the platform.

OTOH XP isn't that BAD... it really doesn't crash that regularly. Basically all the crashing that I've ever dealt with since about service pack 1 has been driver related... and unfortunately there are a lot of crappy drivers for windows. Many drivers still have real issues with sleep mode, rendering sleep (or standby as windows calls it) useless, since when you turn on your computer again, one of the bits of hardware might not be working. (My p4 box's soundcard is like this.... it annoys the hell out me.) In the $1400-1500 range, I don't think I could rely on good quality drivers and hardware in a PC laptop, which is why the 12" iBook is such an easy choice. Thank you Apple, free me from internal driver concerns forever.

Woah I think I may have digressed from the OT. It's probably because I'm using XP and it lowers my productivity causing me to ramble :P.

-neon-
16th November 2005, 02:48 PM
Heh, yeah, "Start something..."

Start thinking about all the extra software you are going to have to buy to have anywhere near a secure and productive system...

Heh heh, the "Start something" ad, with the girl who has just broken up with her boyfriend and decides she wants to write music about it just cracks me up every time...
All I can think is; Garageband.... Duh...

edit: BTW, it's not that I hate windows for no reason.... Just, being a tech fixing broken windows boxes for 10 years and then switching will make you a little cynical ;)

morn
16th November 2005, 10:32 PM
Those are pretty funny adverts, just saw one with this kid saying that he learnt to read by using windows xp before he went to school, haha.
It's interesting because these adverts are aimed at a market that is well served by apple, young first time computer users.