PDA

View Full Version : Verizon iPhone - does it mean anything for Australia?

idiesel
10th January 2011, 08:18 PM
There's been a fair bit of discussion on Engadget and a few other techy e-pubs about a possible iPhone for sale via Verizon in the US. I guess this is all in aid of the original 5 year exclusivity deal between Apple and AT&T expiring.

So what does this mean, a spec bumped iPhone 4.5 with LTE or CDMA? Does it have a redesigned antenna band? Is Apple likely to have a different iPhone for a separate US carrier and if so will we see it here?

Verizon iPhone: everything you need to know (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/verizon-iphone-everything-you-need-to-know/)

Let the speculation commence: Verizon's just sent out invites for a mysterious press event on Tuesday, hosted by Verizon Wireless President Lowell McAdam at New York's Lincoln Center. That's right -- a huge event in New York after CES. Obviously the natural speculation is that this will be where the long-rumored CDMA iPhone makes its appearance, and it definitely feels that way -- but we suppose it could also be any number of other things, and it's definitely odd that Verizon's in charge and not Apple

decryption
10th January 2011, 08:41 PM
WE won't see it here as none of the Australian networks use CDMA or LTE (at the moment).
I don't think Apple will release an LTE phone, as LTE coverage is pretty average right now. If they can make some sort of super phone, that does LTE/GSM and CDMA fallback, that would be ideal for Verizon and AT&T (and T-Mobile and Sprint).
But I think there will be a Verizon (CDMA/USA only) phone and an AT&T (GSM/rest of the world) phone, then in 2-4 years, the rest of the world will be LTE and the iPhone will go back to being just 1 model (LTE)

Lutze
10th January 2011, 09:34 PM
I think the main impact that it will have is, if they sync the release dates, that availability at release time will plummet worldwide.

kyte
14th January 2011, 06:01 AM
the rest of the world will be LTE and the iPhone will go back to being just 1 model (LTE)

Whats LTE for those of us not initiated into phone acronyms?

Lutze
14th January 2011, 07:12 AM
Whats LTE for those of us not initiated into phone acronyms?

It's what everyone but telstra will use here in the next 3-4 years. Basically it's 4g. Faster, up and downloads, and it's mostly designed for data.

LTE is one flavour of 4g. The other is wi-max.

LTE stands for long term evolution. (I think) it's just gone 5am so excuse my top of the head answer.

NORMANDY
14th January 2011, 07:55 AM
listen to my thoughts at the 31 minute mark.....

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mac-os-ken%3A-warmline-live!

CDMA is a dead tech.... we got rid of it years ago!

Ecto1
14th January 2011, 08:32 AM
Telstra shut down their CDMA network in 2008 to make way for their NextG network. Maybe if Telstra held out and kept it we may of seen the iP4CDMA. But as you may have read it's a dead technology.

What I want to know is dose this mean that the next iPhone will be on more U.S GSM networks or still only on AT&T?

decryption
14th January 2011, 08:46 AM
Telstra shut down their CDMA network in 2008 to make way for their NextG network. Maybe if Telstra held out and kept it we may of seen the iP4CDMA. But as you may have read it's a dead technology.

What I want to know is dose this mean that the next iPhone will be on more U.S GSM networks or still only on AT&T?

Well there's only one other GSM network in the USA, T-Mobile.
T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 for 3G, so the iPhone is halfway there. Just needs to support 2100 (it supports 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 now for 3G). I don't think a 5-band 3G chip exists right now...

mitty
14th January 2011, 09:04 AM
What I'm curious about is if the iphone 5 comes out with new features in a few months, will there be yet another upgrade to the Verizon phone? Or will the two release schedules be out of sync?

Lutze
14th January 2011, 09:44 AM
What I'm curious about is if the iphone 5 comes out with new features in a few months, will there be yet another upgrade to the Verizon phone? Or will the two release schedules be out of sync?

I'd agree with John Gruber and say that they will probably split the release schedule. Apple will then be able to ramp up production for two seasons and not have to try to hide massive production increases that go along with a new design.

This is what I hope for, because without it the world outside of the USA will be forced to wait months for the next iPhone.

NORMANDY
14th January 2011, 09:46 AM
Well there's only one other GSM network in the USA, T-Mobile.
T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 for 3G, so the iPhone is halfway there. Just needs to support 2100 (it supports 850, 900, 1900 and 2100 now for 3G). I don't think a 5-band 3G chip exists right now...

yes there is chip set that does everything, in software, top end androids use this chip set, software definable, NOT HARDWARE, like the iphone.... why the iphone for CDMA didn't use this is beyond me....

3GPP LTE Chipsets | Altair (http://www.altair-semi.com/3gpp-lte-chipsets)

decryption
14th January 2011, 09:49 AM
yes there is chip set that does everything, in software, top end androids use this chip set, software definable, NOT HARDWARE, like the iphone.... why the iphone for CDMA didn't use this is beyond me....

Which phone supports HSPA on 850, 900, 1700, 1900 and 2100?

Lutze
14th January 2011, 09:53 AM

Heat/cost/lock down issues/Apple didn't like them/production problems (can they make enough of them?)

I've got a feeling that it's to stop people going from one network to another in the US. This will be because verizon or AT&T or even both asked for it. It doesn't affect much else of the world - well apart from China, and they will have similar requests I'd bet.

idiesel
14th January 2011, 08:07 PM
That's a good point about two release schedules. Though I guess in a couple of years when LTE starts to roll out, we'll be back to 1 release schedule again?

Renoman
9th February 2011, 09:17 AM
I think looking to happenings in the US market for hints of what we get is not useful. The US mobile phone situation is a complete joke - they are a 3rd world country in this stuff!!

Thats actually insulting to some 3rd world countries though...

I find it hilarious that they still use CDMA, and am very surprised Apple even bothered with it - guessing Verizon is underwriting that cost, not Apple. It otherwise seems an uncharacteristically short sighted move by Apple - issuing special versions for a dead end tech...

That reminds me - must run the gauntlet of AT&T idiocy, incompetence and ignorance for my upcoming 2week trip to the US... (for amusement, read out any double or triple numbers to americans by saying "triple three, four, five, double 4" for 3334544 - the use of the word double and triple completely flamboozles them ;)

ozhood
9th February 2011, 09:25 AM
I do remember reading a while back that Telstra was about to trial LTE. I don't know if it went ahead or if it's a part of their road map but at least they are looking at it.

Maybe if the rest of the world adopts LTE over the next 2-3 years as is expected we wont be completely out of touch here.

mmulhern
9th February 2011, 09:36 AM
That reminds me - must run the gauntlet of AT&T idiocy, incompetence and ignorance for my upcoming 2week trip to the US... (for amusement, read out any double or triple numbers to americans by saying "triple three, four, five, double 4" for 3334544 - the use of the word double and triple completely flamboozles them ;)

And make sure you keep referring to your mobile, and mobile number. My business card/signature confuses and goodly number of Americans I work with who can't think past "cell" phone/number (they are getting better at it though. . . )

nibbles
14th February 2011, 07:50 PM
CDMA is long gone, this is one thing we are ahead of the US in, mobile communications. Lets hope they have 2 separate releases, we might not have 2 month long waits for the iPhone 5 if they do 3g then CDMA releases because with the amount of Verizon iPhones going out there I hope there isn't as big of a demand for the 3g 5 in the US.

ravage221
15th February 2011, 08:00 AM
Now that Telstra is going to have LTE in large regional and metro areas, I really hope that in some way that Verizon's choice of LTE means that Apple will build it into the next iPhone. However, being Apple, they probably wont. :D

decryption
15th February 2011, 08:06 AM
Now that Telstra is going to have LTE in large regional and metro areas, I really hope that in some way that Verizon's choice of LTE means that Apple will build it into the next iPhone. However, being Apple, they probably wont. :D

AT&T are also moving to LTE.
iPhone will be LTE only by 2014.

tcn33
15th February 2011, 08:11 AM
Every mobile network will be LTE within three years? Doubt it. iPhone 6 might be LTE-capable, but it'll be a long time before 3G compatibility gets phased out. Maybe the 2014 iPhone will remove 2G compatibility, but I'd doubt that as well.

ravage221
15th February 2011, 08:14 AM
but companies including Apple "may take a little longer'' to support the technology. - News.com.au Article

idiesel
20th February 2011, 04:04 PM
As far as I can see, a combined CDMA/GSM iPhone + hotspot tethering are the two main outcomes from the Verizon iPhone...

rileymartin53
30th March 2011, 02:04 PM
I'm loving this discussion but I'm slightly confused. So just to clarify, the verizon iphone is only for the US market because they are still using CDMA technology which is not compatible with the network in Australia. Does that mean they have to release another version of the iphone for the rest of the world?

bennyling
30th March 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm loving this discussion but I'm slightly confused. So just to clarify, the verizon iphone is only for the US market because they are still using CDMA technology which is not compatible with the network in Australia. Does that mean they have to release another version of the iphone for the rest of the world?

Exactly right. Unless some smart fellow at Apple decides to put in a chipset which is compatible with both CDMA and GSM networks, then there will be two versions of the iPhone.

How do you think there are 18 different iPad varieties in the US? :)