PDA

View Full Version : Wont let me place items on desktop?

fuller
10th January 2011, 12:29 PM
Rookie question I know, but I have no idea what i have done, got a new imac and transferred all my old settings over etc

When I go to place a file on my desktop I get the following pop up;

"The item "item name" can't be moved because "Desktop" can't be modified."

Then i have the option to "Authenticate" or "Cancel"

So i hit Authenticate and it doesnt ask for a password I just get the following pop up;

"You can put items into "Desktop", but you wont be able to see them. Do you want to continue? Other users with sufficient permissions will be able to use the items"

Thing is, im the admin, and the only user account in system prefs, any idea whats going on here?

I think it may have something to do with when i transferred my old user account over then deleted it and made a new one perhaps, but being the only user and an admin Im lost.

Thanks

glacierdave
10th January 2011, 12:59 PM
Sounds like you've got a user permissions issue. When you transfer everything over as your old user account it'll retain the permissions associated with that. Depending on how you went about moving the data into a new user account and removing the old one will determine what has to happen next.

Do you still have the old system and can do the transfer over again?

fuller
10th January 2011, 01:17 PM
Sounds like you've got a user permissions issue. When you transfer everything over as your old user account it'll retain the permissions associated with that. Depending on how you went about moving the data into a new user account and removing the old one will determine what has to happen next.

Do you still have the old system and can do the transfer over again?

Nope, old system has been whipped of all data. Any other ideas of where I can go from here without whipping everything and starting again? :o

~Coxy
10th January 2011, 04:13 PM
Sounds like your Desktop is owned by an old user.

Try sudo chown -R YourUsername ~/Desktop

glacierdave
10th January 2011, 09:03 PM
...and be prepared for the possibility that the problem will extend beyond just ~/Desktop depending on exactly what's happened...

iMic
11th January 2011, 03:56 PM
Going by the AppleCare documentation here but it's worth a shot:

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD and restart the computer. Hold down the C key on restart to boot from the DVD.

2. Once the installer has started, select "Reset Password" from the Utilities menu.

3. Select the drive containing the OS and home folder you wish to repair from the row of disk icons.

4. Select the User Account you wish to reset from the drop down list of users.

5. Click the "Reset" button below the heading "Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs".

6. Quit the Password Reset utility to return to the Mac OS X installer, then quit the Mac OS X installer to restart the Mac from the normal boot drive.

fuller
11th January 2011, 04:13 PM
...and be prepared for the possibility that the problem will extend beyond just ~/Desktop depending on exactly what's happened...

Do you think imac600's solution should make your comment N/A or do i still need to worry, because being a new mac now would be the time to whipe and start fresh than later i guess, would like to get it out of the way if need be.

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD and restart the computer. Hold down the C key on restart to boot from the DVD.

2. Once the installer has started, select "Reset Password" from the Utilities menu.

3. Select the drive containing the OS and home folder you wish to repair from the row of disk icons.

5. Click the "Reset" button below the heading "Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs".

6. Quit the Password Reset utility to return to the Mac OS X installer, then quit the Mac OS X installer to restart the Mac from the normal boot drive.

Thank you very much, ill give that a go and report back. :)

glacierdave
11th January 2011, 04:50 PM
Much depends on how you ended up in the situation you have. Without knowing that it's difficult to say for certain what will fix it.

In general, though, iMac600's suggested solution is a good one and should get you most of the way there. Understand, though, that you may still have some issues when you're done depending on how/why you're in your current fix...

David

fuller
12th January 2011, 04:02 PM

Ok just did as you said to both my account and the system "insert second word that i forget" (root) account and its letting me drop things onto the desktop no problems.

Thanks for the help! Fingers crossed I Havant muffed anything else up!