View Full Version : What Insurance policy is best for me?

3rd August 2004, 09:41 PM
I am a 20 year old Melbourne Uni student, and I go to every lecture, whip out my 15" of power (giggles) and type up lecture notes, whilst recording the whole lecture in "Notebook" mode in Microsoft Word 2004. This way i can reference back to what the lecturer said when I need to revise, and I get to show off my cool computer at the same time, to the 150 people sitting behind me in the lecture theatre. Another advantage is that I can surf this forum with wireless internet at the same time, and check on this forum, or hamster porn, or find images relevant to the lecture and load them into my lecture notes. But I digress...

Anyway, I really need to insure my $4700 pBook, as my frequent use of it means I am known as "computer boy" and thus at risk of it being stolen. Or being mobbed by georgeous, mac-loving bikini models, who ply me with sex just so they can play with my computer, or my 15"... *eyes glaze over in ecstacy*

Ooops <_< I was in my own little world there. Sorry.

Anyway, I need to know what insurance would be best for me. I have the option to add the pBook onto my families insurance policy as a "additional portable valuable" which seems like a smart option. However, I have heard of Laptop-specific insurance policies (only in the US of A) and was wondering whether there were Aussie versions, or if anyone else here has insured their laptop, and how, with what excess, how much per year?

Basically, I would like any help on what insurance to get.

Or the phone numbers of hot mac-loving bikini models.


Thanks. :lol:

kim jong il
4th August 2004, 01:36 PM
Ozi; this is a curly one one as I am sure you have discovered. I thought to look into this after reading your post but gave up after about 10 minutes. Too many results and too many products. I was not even aware that people offer insurance on DATA?? Cannot even imagine how this works. Consequently I can see why you posted.

Private schools have been using laptops for years and it may even be worth emailing some of them to find out how they dealt with this situation. Furthermore LaTrobe, for example, offer their own insurance (act as an agent I&#39;m guessing). Maybe your student union can offer advice? If not, the family insurance may be the cheapest, easiest alternative. Let us know.

cheers, kim

4th August 2004, 03:29 PM
I am not aware of any laptop specific insurance premiums/plans. So the best thing to do would be to put it under your family&#39;s home and contents insurance plan. But be wary that you check the &#39;fine print&#39; to ensure that if you do have your laptop stolen or if it is lost - away from home that you are covered.

If you do find any laptop specific insurance plans please let us all know. I think a few other portable owners would find it interesting.

Also to pick up on a point made by Kim, you can replace the laptop but you cannot replace the data. All those copious amounts of university papers, work, summaries and even memories cannot be replaced with an insurance pay out. Your other "best insurance policy" is to back that hard drive up.

I have heard horror stories of entire PHD research projects being lost due to theft.

4th August 2004, 06:48 PM
I am also looking for insurance for my 12" PB.

AAMI won&#39;t touch it. They do valuables insurance for just about anything *except* laptops, so it couldn&#39;t be covered outside my house. As the above poster said, be careful, read the fine print, just getting it on your home and contents insurance may not be enough.

Please post what you find out, I&#39;m sure lots of people here are interested.

4th August 2004, 07:25 PM
Check out IT Insurance: http://www.itinsurance.com.au

All the student&#39;s notebook computers at the school I work at are insured by IT Insurance through Toshiba&#39;s Student Notebook Program, and it looks like they offer the same sort of cover/excess policy for normal consumers as well.

4th August 2004, 07:26 PM
OK this is just a preliminary few titbits of info:

We currently have RACV home insurance, covering everything in the house, and the house itself, against fire and theft.

So to add a "specified portable valuable" to the policy (currnelty my pBook is covered, but only when it is at home) will cost an extra &#036;126 per year, with the insurance policies &#036;500 excess remaining unchanged.

If I want to lower the excess on this insurance, I have to lower the excess for the entire policy which lowers the excess to &#036;100 and is an extra &#036;150 per year.

But I think I will leave the excess at &#036;500, and pay &#036;126 per year for the cover. This covers the pBook when it is at home, away from home, and covers theft, loss and accidental damage (ie. if i drop it, they will pay to fix it up, as this is not covered by my applecare warranty)

I am yet to look around at other plans, but will report back to you all when I do. :)

22nd August 2004, 05:31 PM
I too, is interested in such insurance policy for all my toys/gadgets.

It would be a pitty and a great loss both financially/mentally to all all my gear stolen/lost/damaged etc. :ph34r: