PDA

View Full Version : macmini pain

forno
7th January 2011, 07:27 AM
After some advice or comment from those more in the know than I.

I have a current gen macmini that I am using as a HTPC.

So far it has been nothing but pain, firstly the HDD died, replaced by apple Doncaster, I restored from the time machine back up, onky to get the same hardware diagnostic start up screen, went back to a different Genius, he re imaged the machine for me and it was all working fine instore, he said dont migrate the whole time machine back up as it may be corrupt.

Following this I started from scratch, downloading and re-installing software as required. So far the machine has Eyetv, perian, and Divx.

Frequently I will turn the tv on to get the greyed out screen with the message that I need to hold down the power button to reboot.

I cant change any system preferences to do with file or screen sharing, I just get a beach ball.

All of this is occurring before and after I used the install DVD as a start up and ran disk utility to verify repair the Macintosh HD.

One strange thing I have noticed is that the 4GB ram module I have installed shows no serial number in the system profiler.

So basically I am at a loss to get this thing running smoothly:o

dopus
7th January 2011, 07:40 AM
The ram module that is not showing up in profile correctly, may have issues. I'd suggest taking it out (I assume there is or you have some other ram to try) and putting in other ram, then see how it performs. If ok, check the ram is ok for the system (compatible I mean), or it may be just faulty. I have had an iBook do similar weird things, and it was a dud ram module. Good luck.