PDA

View Full Version : WiFi connection - or lack of it

dickg
5th January 2011, 05:58 PM
Since I bought an iPad, I have been doing 90% of my computing on it through Telstra 3G, with an excellent signal.

Because of an unrelated problem, I have had my iMac on for the last few days, which has given me WiFi connectivity and the iPad has only rarely been able to find an Internet site, or I get a 'timed out' message. Mail is similar.

Since I turned off WiFi, connection is fast and always delivers the goods. BTW, my iMac broadband is slow (but free), but has delivered WiFi before the problem above, which makes me think I may have inadvertently changed a setting or something (I have been known to do silly things on computers).

Could it be me or is it simply that the 3G connection is faster and more reliable?

snark
5th January 2011, 06:41 PM
Because of an unrelated problem, I have had my iMac on for the last few days, which has given me WiFi connectivity and the iPad has only rarely been able to find an Internet site, or I get a 'timed out' message. Mail is similar.
I would have expected that you would be connecting to a wifi router/gateway, rather then to your iMac. Are you saying that you set up a peer-to-peer network between your iMac and iPad?

dickg
5th January 2011, 07:55 PM
Not sure what you mean as I'm a Dick-with-very-little-brain as far as technical stuff, but here goes.

My satellite broadband has an Ethernet connection to my iMac and I have created a WiFi network (which I have to set up again periodically). In Settings on the iPad I established a WiFi connection.

When I bought the iPad I had real problems getting WiFi up,but finally succeeded - I have no clue how.

What's the difference between a router and a modem (which I have)?

I hope this makes some sort of sense to you.

macuzer
5th January 2011, 08:10 PM
Your iMac is sharing out a WiFi Signal (like a wireless router) which is connected to your Satellite ethernet connection (a modem). Your iPad is connecting to the shared WiFi from your iMac, but the signal must be fairly weak, or your distance from the iMac is too great (things like thick walls, doors, cordless phones and microwave ovens can also affect signal strength.

dickg
5th January 2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks macuzer

What you wrote makes sense (but I'll have to mull over it).

The iPad and iMac are used almost all the time about ten metres from each other in a direct line - no obstructions.