PDA

View Full Version : Autocad & Microstation V8 on Bootcamp

RichardW
3rd January 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi!

Am about to take the plunge and buy a Mac Pro of some configuration to run Autocad and Microstation. Can anyone with experience please advise on suitable machines (obviously the faster is better) as well as their experience with running this software with Bootcamp and which versions of Windows. I'm obviously trying to find the most stable configuration as well as the range of machines and configurations which would do the job. Thanks so much!
Richard.:D

mjankor
3rd January 2011, 07:41 PM
How heavy is the usage of the software. Is it for massive 3d modeling, huge datasets or what?

RichardW
3rd January 2011, 07:49 PM
For 3D modelling!

iGobbleoff
4th January 2011, 05:53 AM
you'll be fine with AutoCAD and Microstation on Bootcamp... it will be just like a PC... hell, i'd even run them in a virtual if you didnt want to bootcamp

how intense is the 3D modelling? is it 'dumb' 3D modelling or are you planning on using something like Revit, Civil, Plant3D?

ThexMac
4th January 2011, 10:40 AM
Richard buddy... if you have the dosh at hand... try to install SSD drive... that's one of the big speed enhancers to any system...

RichardW
4th January 2011, 10:46 AM
Long term I will be doing plant design so I'm really looking to purchase a machine that can handle the capacity with the right selection of software for stability. What version of OSX/WINDOWS/CAD are you running and what type of machine? CHEERS

RichardW
4th January 2011, 10:53 AM
TheXmac - sorry for my ignorance, but what is SSD drive?
Thanks

ThexMac
4th January 2011, 11:24 AM
Solid State Drive.... you can opt for it during your Mac online order...
This is an example: 512GB Solid-State Drive Kit for Mac Pro - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC731ZM/A)

But when you order your system you can order a cheaper 256 GB which costs half the price... it's still pricey @ $850 on top of the system cost... depends on how much you wanna spend...

When you buy you can choose configuration options...

+Edit: The speed difference is basically instant-on at boot time [like MB Air]

iGobbleoff
4th January 2011, 11:34 AM
Long term I will be doing plant design so I'm really looking to purchase a machine that can handle the capacity with the right selection of software for stability. What version of OSX/WINDOWS/CAD are you running and what type of machine? CHEERS

I assume for AutoCAD you would be using Plant3D, or are you just going to be using 3D blocks to produce models?

For Microstation I would guess you would be looking at PDS, which honestly I doubt you would be doing at home (my guess for the time being?)

The above two will work on any current spec machines, I'm running Plant3D on a basic laptop at the moment, and works fine. It depends on how complex your models are going to get, but chuck in a crapload of ram and if you can get an SSD then go for it.

Are you looking at using something like Navisworks also to produce realistic models? 3DS max? Navisworks will work fine on a basic machine, but again, how complex are you going to get with the modelling? Doing a half dozen lines isn't going to be an issue. If you start getting to 100+, or 1000+ even, then you might come across problems.

(Side note: Be logical with your modelling, don't chuck it all in one model. Put structural elements in one, equipment in another and piping in another. I've found a lot of people thing that they can put it all in one model and it should 'just work'..... which it won't, again, depending on how big the overall project is.)

I'm on a toshiba laptop with win7-64 at the moment on 2gb of RAM and Plant3D runs fine. A little slow on startup, but thats really about it.