PDA

View Full Version : windows with Mac

Troymarie
26th December 2010, 08:36 PM
i am looking to buy windows to run on my new mac - new mac user and have seen that there are a couple of programs that allows you to use windows and mac os at the same time.
firstly do i have to buy a windows for mac or can i install the same windows i had on my old pc? and secondly which program is the best to use to have windows working at the same time as the mac os? or is there a mac program that is compatible with window that i can use?

thanks for any suggestions.

MissionMan
26th December 2010, 09:00 PM
First off, the software you are talking about is called a virtual machine. The two main software manufacturers are Parallels and VMware, both of which can be downloaded and trialed online.

The copy of windows that you currently have will work but technically its illegal to run it on two machines at the same time, but you could try install it and trial it to see if you like it.

Personally, I try to run everything on Mac unless there is a good reason to run windows. Have a look around for Mac alternatives and in 99% of cases you don't need to so just bare that in mind, don't run windows for the sake of it.

Troymarie
26th December 2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that MissionMan, I will start looking for mac alternative - Just concerned that I will have issues with compatibilities between my home mac and work pc (Windows) moving files to and fro, but if you have found that in most cases there is no issues - sounds good to me.

Thanks heaps and will no doubt have more questions as time goes on - a feel like a retard with this mac - I got it for a xmas gift from my Boss - like learning all over again. nothing is the same!

Oh before I forget what do you recommend for antivirus for Mac's I was surprised to learn that they have developed bugs that affect the mac O/S I thought that was one thing that Mac did not have issues with?

Once again Thanks

snark
26th December 2010, 09:44 PM
If your old PC is a mainstrean brand (HP, Dell, etc.) it might have come with an OEM version of Windows, which will only install on that particular brand. As MissionMan, said, you can try to install it on your Mac, but the install may fail if it is an OEM version.

Also, there is a free alternative to Parallels and Fusion, called VirtualBox.

But I agree with MissionMan - you can usually find a Mac app to do everything that you previously did with Windows, although there are a some exceptions.

[edit]
Also, see this thread: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/14/36913-switchers-faq.html

MissionMan
26th December 2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for that MissionMan, I will start looking for mac alternative - Just concerned that I will have issues with compatibilities between my home mac and work pc (Windows) moving files to and fro, but if you have found that in most cases there is no issues - sounds good to me.

Thanks heaps and will no doubt have more questions as time goes on - a feel like a retard with this mac - I got it for a xmas gift from my Boss - like learning all over again. nothing is the same!

Oh before I forget what do you recommend for antivirus for Mac's I was surprised to learn that they have developed bugs that affect the mac O/S I thought that was one thing that Mac did not have issues with?

Once again Thanks

Personally I don't run antivirus. Mac's aren't like PC's where you can get a virus by email or through accidentally opening the wrong word file. If you open a file and a virus tries to install something through the backdoor, Mac will notify you and ask you to put in your password to allow it to install. This makes it easy to identify these kinds of problems, but to be honest, I've never come across a file with a virus personally.

Stick with it if you can, it takes time to get used to how different things are but once you do, you don't want to go back again.

Troymarie
26th December 2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys that was very helpful, found shortcuts - and downloads for mac's i just down loaded VCL - works great. I am sure that when I become more familiar I will love using the Mac - I was sick of the issues with window based O/s.

I am converted for life!

I am also looking for a mac style photoshop any suggestions?

snark
26th December 2010, 10:38 PM
I am also looking for a mac style photoshop any suggestions?
You can get Photoshop for Mac, but it depends what you want to do. If it's just retouching photos, you can most things with iPhoto.
If you are more into graphic design with brushes, layers, filters and all that, then I would suggest looking at something like Pixelmator or Gimp.