PDA

View Full Version : Where did my T go?

matrixgeek
21st October 2005, 05:17 PM
Does anyone else with iBooks have issues with the characters peeling off the keys? My T has gone, and H,N & I are on the way to joining it. Has anyone had similar issues before, and is there an easy solution? It destroys the aesthetics of my iBook, and seeing as it is on display to the world at Uni nearly every day, this is distressing.
Or am I being too anal in exam season?

Rayd
21st October 2005, 05:20 PM
mine has no problem, but if your looking for a cheep way out, just cut a T on a peice of paper, template it onto the T key and texta it in :D

murphdog
21st October 2005, 06:20 PM
Haha nice one!

g5agogo
21st October 2005, 08:35 PM
matrixgeek,

I have the same problem on an iBook G4 - lost my A key, just peeled off cleanly a week ago.

Edd
22nd October 2005, 02:23 PM
Hmm. I'm on a 5+ year old pismo atm and all the keys are labeled as new. I guess the iBooks general build quality isn't as good as powerbooks :(
Maybe you could go to an apple store and ask them for a few keys, sometimes they give them to you for free. (They easily snap onto the keyboard)

matrixgeek
22nd October 2005, 10:30 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking Edd, but wanted to get a feel if it was a common issue...(CLASS ACTION!!!! lol)
Guess that is the price I pay for going consumer, not pro. Next time it will (hopefully) be pBook...

Exocet
23rd October 2005, 12:57 AM
Well, with the larger-sized powerbooks the labels aren't actually labels at all. They're translucent parts of the keys, so when there's no light behind them - they're black, and when the keyboard backlight is turned on - they're blue(ish).

Xenex
23rd October 2005, 01:11 AM
Apple cover this under warranty. Just take your iBook in for service, and the keyboard will be replaced.

Your iBook is still covered by warranty, right? ;)

matrixgeek
24th October 2005, 11:42 AM
Don't get me started... yes it is. Again. Don't really wanna go there.

Chr1s
24th October 2005, 11:49 AM
Quick question for all, sort of on topic:

How easy is it to remove individual keys on an iBook? I plan on doing something with the keyboard that requires some of the keys to come out for a little while... is it as easy as prying them off like on a standard keyboard, or is it not really possible for an iBook?

mwot
24th October 2005, 12:41 PM
Well, you could always learn to touch type ... ;)

Letter-less keyboard (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000577031787/).

Chr1s
24th October 2005, 12:46 PM
I can already touch type. :P

All I need to know is, if I take to my iBook keyboard with a knife and start prying off letters, will it be easy enough to put them back into place, like it is with a standard (separate) keyboard? I'd rather find out now than when I have 10 letters sitting next to the keyboard and no way to get them back on.

spilla
24th October 2005, 12:56 PM
Chr1s - I was bored one night, so i decided to clean my keyboard on my iBook G3, so i just started to pull all the keys off......you just have to find out which side it comes off first, as it changes for the different sizes of keys....and to put them back on, all you need to do is basically do the opposite of how u took them off.....u just hook one end in, then snap them back in....

helloroto
24th October 2005, 12:57 PM
Dont just go prying your iBook keyboard with a knife, i learned the hard way with my PowerBook keyboard ;) now its missing the "g" key.... anyone got a dead 12" Alu keyboard???? ;)

Cheers,
Roto :blink:

Chr1s
24th October 2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by spilla@Oct 24 2005, 12:56 PM
Chr1s - I was bored one night, so i decided to clean my keyboard on my iBook G3, so i just started to pull all the keys off......you just have to find out which side it comes off first, as it changes for the different sizes of keys....and to put them back on, all you need to do is basically do the opposite of how u took them off.....u just hook one end in, then snap them back in....
Thanks. Will give it a try tonight. :)

downsys
24th October 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Chr1s@Oct 24 2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks. Will give it a try tonight. :)
extremely easy to remove keys from the ibook's keyboards. just be gentle, don't use a knife. pull it off carefully, it won't break.