PDA

View Full Version : The application has unexpectedly quit!

nbetts
21st October 2005, 04:24 PM
Hi All,

I am having a number of problems after upgrading to 10.4. i have a lot off apps that contantly quit. i have had at least 2 major craches where i lose all dock preferences and all serial numbers to apps etc. my last crash lost all of my itunes play list. phone call to apple support did nothing, we tried to restore the library then the guy on the phone gave up saying just re type them all!!

This is frustrating as i just get everything loaded in again, then i have another crash.

Predominantly i am just brning DVD's or usisng toast when this happens. i have reinstalled both programs.

I have sent some mails to get my serial codes back on some shareware - yep i always pay for that stuff - and have been ignored by quite a few people.

Any help on finding my playlists or restoring serial numbers would be appreciated.

Currawong
21st October 2005, 07:12 PM
What kind of upgrad did you do? Before that, did you have many third party apps installed? Have you updated all the apps? Have you repaired permissions?

Quamen
21st October 2005, 07:29 PM
Not sure what to do about finding your playlists and restoring serial numbers.

You might want to look into the possible causes of the crashes. One program you can use to check the health of your computer is ONYX from http://www.titanium.free.fr/
Run the maintenance programs as it sounds like there is something wrong with your upgraded install.

nbetts
23rd October 2005, 10:41 AM
I did an erase and install. this happened a few months ago with persistant problems ever since. i dont have a huge amount of 3rd party appps. but the ones that i do have i have now lost serial numbers. i do have a record of most of them, but some i just dont.

i am now going to use Pod Work s to restore my itunes playlist back from the ipod. but these crashes are becoming a bit frequent. Apple Help can offer no advice or solution.

I will try the ONYX software. thanx for you help :)

Currawong
23rd October 2005, 11:06 AM
I tend to archive install major updates. The reason is, often we install 3rd party software that, when we upgrade the system, causes problems. A common example is the Unsanity Haxies that modify system behaviour. When I went from 10.2 to 10.3 I had to login as another user and rename my ~/Library as plugins/enhancers in there caused the Finder to constantly quit.

More things than we imagine get installed into the global /Library. An archive install means those things get put aside for the major upgrade, ensuring they can't cause any problems.

g5agogo
23rd October 2005, 11:55 AM
Just an out of interest question: have you added any ram to your mac prior or post the update? What are your system specs? A bad memory chip high in memory sometimes can go un-noticed in everyday use but can cause all sorts of problems after installing new software.

nbetts
24th October 2005, 10:01 AM
No i have not added any ram or anything tricky at all. Its just a standard out of the box powerbook

All of that being said, apparantly my Kitten has decided that the keyboard on my powerbook is a lovely place to sleep i just found out on the weekend. she also thinks the screen saver is facinating and plays with it!! so i wouldnt be surprised if she has done something to it while she is playing on the keyboard!

this may have caused the last crash, but the one prior to that was not her as i didnt have her then.