PDA

View Full Version : Is Mac App Store for Mac OS X 10.6+ only?

Taylor
21st December 2010, 07:02 PM
I've heard, that Mac App Store will have apps for Macs that running 10.6 and higher only. And what about other users, who have Mac OS X 10.5 for ex? Seems like they have the only way to get software - from the developers' sites.

Have you heard something like that?

decryption
21st December 2010, 07:12 PM
Mac App Store is only for 10.6

Taylor
21st December 2010, 09:06 PM
Oh, I see. And what about users running 10.5 - the only way to get software is to download it from developers' sites directly - am I right? Or upgrade, of course:)

feeze
21st December 2010, 09:28 PM
Oh, I see. And what about users running 10.5 - the only way to get software is to download it from developers' sites directly - am I right? Or upgrade, of course:)

Yes, exactly.

Taylor
21st December 2010, 09:35 PM
I see, thanks. Anyway, looks strange that Apple didn't include 10.5 software in App Store - I guess there are enough Mac users, who didn't upgrade to 10.6...

feeze
21st December 2010, 10:30 PM
I see, thanks. Anyway, looks strange that Apple didn't include 10.5 software in App Store - I guess there are enough Mac users, who didn't upgrade to 10.6...

If I was to take a wild guess, and it would be just a guess, I would say it would have something to do with 10.5 running on Power PC CPUs. 10.6 (and presumably 10.7) are Intel only. My guess is Apple wants Intel only apps and doesn't want to have universal binaries (PPC + Intel) in the app store.

sirstaunch
21st December 2010, 11:58 PM
MacUpdate: Download Apple Mac Software & iPhone Software (http://macupdate.com), Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.com), New Mac Software (http://versiontracker.com)

Was wondering on how these sites would suffer from Apples Store too, but there are still us on 10.5 anyhow ;)

Taylor
22nd December 2010, 07:21 PM
I think this will be a total chaos:) For example, if developer has a great app, but it cannot be included into App Store because of their requirements we are all aware of. So, what does developer do? He compiles a "new" app - the old one but without some options thus ensuring this app will be included into app store. And here we go - we have two apps with differnet options - but almost the same - as I said - chaos:)

kyte
26th December 2010, 05:27 AM
Can anyone see issues of control arising here? We know and sometimes accept that the iphone and ipad are locked down and we have to use the appstore to get stuff (except if you jailbreak)... I'm just wondering if in a future OS our Macs will end up locked down too. I can't see how it could be done, technically, but an appstore for our regular computers... makes me wonder if that's where Apple is heading in the future...

snark
26th December 2010, 08:53 AM
Can anyone see issues of control arising here?

I think it is more a matter of convenience and comfort. Apple is using the iTunes infrastructure to make it easy for people to buy OS X apps. Since loads of people are already using it to buy music, movies, and apps for their iPhads, it's something people can trust and will be willing to use.

I doubt Apple will be able to prevent users installing apps the old-fashioned way, although they could do something tricky with code signing.

[edit - grammar]

Stez
26th December 2010, 09:11 AM
Can anyone see issues of control arising here? We know and sometimes accept that the iphone and ipad are locked down and we have to use the appstore to get stuff (except if you jailbreak)... I'm just wondering if in a future OS our Macs will end up locked down too. I can't see how it could be done, technically, but an appstore for our regular computers... makes me wonder if that's where Apple is heading in the future...

As we all know this has come up a million times and I think the answer is that where we are now, it's just not possible. People wouldn't buy a computer where you couldn't install your own stuff. The Mac App Store is around to just like on iOS showcase apps without people having to dig throughout the net. I've actually wanted it for a long time. Add the even easier installs, secure payment through iTunes and we have a winner.

Oldmacs
27th December 2010, 07:22 AM
My emac Is outdated again. Still a great machine though!

kyte
27th December 2010, 01:34 PM
I doubt Apple will be able to prevent users installing apps the old-fashioned way, although they could do something tricky with code signing.

[edit - grammar]

Agreed. So there may be a situation in which applications available from the app store may not be available any other way, don't you think?

As we all know this has come up a million times and I think the answer is that where we are now, it's just not possible. People wouldn't buy a computer where you couldn't install your own stuff. The Mac App Store is around to just like on iOS showcase apps without people having to dig throughout the net. I've actually wanted it for a long time. Add the even easier installs, secure payment through iTunes and we have a winner.

I would dispute that its not possible although I am inclined to agree that Apple can't prevent us from installing whatever the hell we like. I guess my thinking has crystallised a bit more since my original post and I think that issues of control will arise, but more perhaps as something to do with app store use, what you can get there and whether you can get it any other way as I said, above.

Of course there's always an option to downgrade the OS to something which will not use the app store, or else simply don't use it anyway, and make do with other stuff which will still abound around the net. One hopes.

As far as devs are concerned, an app store for computer apps would likely be a godsend, especially those who do shareware and often get ripped off by people who go find free keys etc instead of paying up., the app store will make it more difficult, I'd imagine, for that to happen, so in some ways its a protection for the devs, too.

I dunno... I love the app store for my iLittleThings, but am just unsure if I want it for my iMac, unless its an optional extra, so to speak.

snark
27th December 2010, 03:07 PM
Agreed. So there may be a situation in which applications available from the app store may not be available any other way, don't you think?
I think that is a remote possibility. Apple could theoretically make OS X only run apps that have been signed with an Apple key, but I think a system like that would be extremely unpopular, if not illegal as being anti-competitive. It would be hacked pretty quickly. Or the key would leak - think DeCSS.

I'm wondering whether a supermarket analogy is useful. For better or worse, I think the App Store will be like Coles or Woolies. It will be convenient, familiar, and ubiquitous. But you might pay a bit over the odds, and it won't stock everything.
However, you will still be able to visit the farmers' market (ie. the developers' own websites) to buy your organic and esoteric apps that the App Store "supermarket" doesn't stock. It will be a bit trickier (no easy payment via iTunes), and you might have to hunt around, but the choice will still be available.

I guess we will see in the next year or so how things pan out.

kyte
28th December 2010, 08:40 AM
I'm wondering whether a supermarket analogy is useful. For better or worse, I think the App Store will be like Coles or Woolies. It will be convenient, familiar, and ubiquitous. But you might pay a bit over the odds, and it won't stock everything.
However, you will still be able to visit the farmers' market (ie. the developers' own websites) to buy your organic and esoteric apps that the App Store "supermarket" doesn't stock. It will be a bit trickier (no easy payment via iTunes), and you might have to hunt around, but the choice will still be available.

I guess we will see in the next year or so how things pan out.

I like the analogy. If it works like that, excellent. Lets hope the farnmers market doesnt get swallowed up by the supermarket as is happening in the real world, dont want to only be able to hit the farmers market once a month :-/

HumanMedia
28th December 2010, 05:56 PM
Mac App Store is only for 10.6

And most likely for MacOS 10.6.6 only.

Rust
31st December 2010, 09:59 AM
I like the analogy. If it works like that, excellent. Lets hope the farnmers market doesnt get swallowed up by the supermarket as is happening in the real world, dont want to only be able to hit the farmers market once a month :-/

Does this mean Bodega becomes Aldi? :)

velocite
7th January 2011, 01:16 AM
Mac App Store is live

The Mac App Store is now available as a software update for any Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard

dopus
7th January 2011, 07:51 AM
iPhads,
[edit - grammar]

That is funny :-)

mitty
7th January 2011, 08:06 AM
Think we'll close this one and point further discussion over here:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/96437-mac-app-store.html