PDA

View Full Version : Which browsers to have for testing sites?

iluvmymactoo
21st October 2005, 02:19 PM
As IE is now defunct for Mac I'm wondering which internet browsers you would suggest to have for previewing/debugging the sites you're creating?

I'd like to keep a few on my HD for this purpose but I'm not sure which ones.

964RSCS
21st October 2005, 02:24 PM
Well, I had used IE but will continue to use the previous version.

Firefox seems to be increasing in popularity, so that is also on my list, as well as Safari and Netscape. I've also been meaning to download Opera and use that also.

I also test in Virtual PC as I have that umm, luxury?!

iluvmymactoo
21st October 2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 964RSCS@Oct 21 2005, 02:24 PM
Well, I had used IE but will continue to use the previous version.

Firefox seems to be increasing in popularity, so that is also on my list, as well as Safari and Netscape. I've also been meaning to download Opera and use that also.

I also test in Virtual PC as I have that umm, luxury?!
Yeah I'm thinking about Virtual PC myself actually. I don't want to download IE 5.2.3 it' too old and probably too buggy.

If possible though I'd like to have a nice broad range of browsers. I heard Firefox is a similar standard to IE? (I could be wrong). Netscape and Opera seem to be hot items.

iSlayer
21st October 2005, 02:40 PM
IE for mac isnt as bad as you would think.it's actually better at css then IE 6 on a pc in a few parts.

Firefox,Netscape and opera are all very similar.Opera has a few little minor issues but nothing majorly different from the other 2.

They are all well ahead of IE for pc which has very little css(css 2 inparticular) support and the bits it does support are generally done wrong(well some of them)

Safari is probably the best stanards complient browser around.It has full CSS 2.0 support and it is one of the few(only major one) to have CSS 3.0 support which the spec for isnt even finished

Here is what i use when im testing sites.

IE 6.0 via Virtual PC
IE 5 for mac
Safari 2.0
Firefox 1.5
Netscape 6,7,8(testing for 6 is handy as it had less css support then 7)
Opera (cant recall version)
iCab
Shiira

Its a long list but if you can get your sites working in all of them your going pretty well.Especially if your using alot of css like i do

dangelovich
21st October 2005, 02:41 PM
I think IE is similar in standards to Firefox the same way that Windows is similar in standards to Unix...
I'd test with Firefox, Safari (if the site is going to be accessed mostly by macs - and even then, only to be sure), and IE6 (on a PC)

Does any normal person still use Opera or Netscape? I'm talking normal as in non-computer geeks... I don't know anyone that doesn't just use the default browser - unless they've been told not to by a geeky friend.

I might add... it all depends on the site, it's content, technologies etc...

sikosis
21st October 2005, 03:10 PM
What no Camino ... :rolleyes:

forgie
21st October 2005, 03:20 PM
Firefox on windows = great, firefox on OSX.... well it's just not so great. I prefer Camino. I know this is about web testing, not "which browser do you use," but Firefox does have one feature which I absolutely love, and it's the "find as you type" feature. You can set it up so that as soon as you start typing on a webpage, it's like hitting "Command+F", then entering what you are typing, as you type it. It's by far the quickest way to do research on the net, IMO. Forms and buttons look dodgy as in Firefox/OSX though.

I have found a few dodgy things in CSS in IE/OSX, but other versions of IE/OSX didn't seem to have the same problem.... dunno what the go was there.

BTW I use Camino for actual browsing, or Safari if Camino is playing up. Firefox is there for testing purposes. And IE is used as a last point of testing.

(btw it really does take a nerd to use a browser that's in pre-1.0 release [camino])

konni
21st October 2005, 04:08 PM
that's a long list of browsers, iSlayer. Looks like I need to update some of mine.
I test for Mac:
Firefox 1.0.4
Safari 1.3.1
IE 5.2.3

For PC
latest Firefox
IE-6 (not latest)

I find some CSS probs with IE-6 that I don't think are there with latest version.
Occasional issues with CSS cross-browser for Mac.

iSlayer
21st October 2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by konni@Oct 21 2005, 05:08 PM
that's a long list of browsers, iSlayer
It is but it insures everything is perfect in all browsers.
That wasnt my full list either :)
i have a couple more i left off but we dont need to worry about them.there is certainly enough on there for most people

iluvmymactoo
21st October 2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by iSlayer@Oct 21 2005, 02:40 PM
Here is what i use when im testing sites.

IE 6.0 via Virtual PC
IE 5 for mac
Safari 2.0
Firefox 1.5
Netscape 6,7,8(testing for 6 is handy as it had less css support then 7)
Opera (cant recall version)
iCab
Shiira

Shiira? Gosh I haven't seen that around in ages, why Shiira? Isn't Netscape 8 a windows browser?

W2ttsy
27th October 2005, 11:53 AM
btw, for all those who use the GUI part of DreamWeaver to test the look of their pages, macromedia borrowed the Opera render engine for that, so if use opera to hand test code, chances are, its perfect in DW, and vice versa.

i use, firefox (PC and Mac)
IE 6
sometimes IE Mac (as required by my web dev class)
safari (1.5.1 (or whatever the panther version is) and 2.0 on tiger
opera, not that i use it in conjunction with DW or anything

its also handy to test in a linux version of firefox too, as its a little bit different again (mainly in fonts and text size)

W2ttsy