PDA

View Full Version : How to back up entire drive

paragon69
20th December 2010, 05:00 PM
Hi all,

I am quite new to the apple scene and am trying to upgrade my HDD on my macbook 13 preferably without losing anything.

I think ideally i would make an image of the drive and then apply it to the new drive and it would just work as the old one did but with more space.

Is this possible? How can I do this? What application will I need?

Thanks in advance!!!

James

torana355
20th December 2010, 05:15 PM
You could use Time Machine to make a backup but Superduper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) is a much better option imo. Do you have an external HDD put the disk image/backup on?

skyhawkmatthew
20th December 2010, 05:16 PM
You can achieve what you want using Disk Utility's 'Restore' feature - however I would be inclined to use an application like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to do the job.

They're pretty straightforward to use: choose the source, choose the destination and away it goes.

CCC: Carbon Copy Cloner - Home (http://www.bombich.com/)
SuperDuper: SuperDuper Redirect (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/)

MarkW
20th December 2010, 07:41 PM
Back in the bad old PC days when external drives were a new thing and had to be kept in drive bays; when trying to backup a larger drive you would quite often end up mirroring the new target drive to the same size as the source drive. This would mean that the shiney new drive wasn't much better than the old drive when it came to the storage capacity as the difference in space ended up as unpartitioned. That space couldn't be used because to change the unpartitioned area would wipe the drive. This of course was before Partition Magic V8 was around.

I'm assuming that backup software is getting better??

skyhawkmatthew
20th December 2010, 08:09 PM
Yes. When you clone a drive on the Mac, you will end up with the same amount of space used on the drive, with your new-found much greater empty space, exactly as should be expected.

paragon69
20th December 2010, 11:11 PM
thanks all

i had heard of superduper but wanted to see what you all thought. Its name reminds me of ice blocks and not credulous software.

harryb2448
21st December 2010, 06:31 AM
Registered version of SuperDuper is the go and then you can use Smart BackUp for a weekly, super fast back up of your hard drive, which is bootable. One word of caution do not use any cloning tool if you are installing an SSD in your machine.

By trial and error with help from OWC, found the best way to go is format and partition SSD even if only one partition, install OS from the DVD to get a nice clan install, and back up all your folders, applications, network settings etc using Migration Assistant.

patcanuck
21st December 2010, 07:32 AM
I've been using Carbon Copy Cloner for some time and it's rock solid as well. :)

Balthazar
21st December 2010, 09:28 AM
Super Duper is amazing... on that topic, anyone know of a super duper like utility for windows 7