PDA

View Full Version : Apple Virgin

Buckleysg
19th December 2010, 07:03 AM
Hi all,

Been a pc user for over 20 years and only in the last few months have become an apple user (via the iPad).

Looking at buying the iMac 27". Looking at the following refurb unit
Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/FB953X/A?mco=MTU3ODcyNDE)

Any thoughts.

Want to use for general surfing etc, but trying to future proof it. Want to get at least 4 years out of it. Is this doable from an iMac unit.

Stez
19th December 2010, 07:49 AM
Whats with the title?

Don't upgrade the speeds trying to future proof it, this baby will be out of date next month. Wait until then and pick the baseline model for the size you want. Buy AppleCare (3 year warranty) and that should have you set for a while.

WhyNotKenny
19th December 2010, 08:20 AM
Welcome to the forum Buckley.

I bought a top of the range (at the time) two and a half years ago, and its specs held up reasonably well over that time..... EXCEPT for the graphics card maybe, that was outdated on the 2008 macs from day 1. My philosophy is that if you want something to be as future proof as possible (let's face it, nothing really is), then buy top of the range for the now - that's just me though...

Make sure you purchase apple care.

i think the solid state drives are the best way to go in order future proof your machine, although they're only just starting to have a decent amount of longevity, and hence their price is through the roof.

This refurb will still do what you want to do in 2 - 4 years' time. Obviously it won't be as fast as an i7, or an i5 with SSD, but a good machine none-the-less. A decent thread with info on i7 v i5 here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/10/76472-imac-27-i5-vs-i7-what-buy.html). The good thing about the new iMacs are the increased amount of RAM slots (4), so if i were you i'd be trying to go the i7, or the SSD (can't change that after you've purchased it), and keep the baseline RAM (4GB), with the future option of adding RAM later...

Virgin hey??? "welcome to the real world" I must worn you though, once you take the red apple, you will never go back.... :cool:

Stez
19th December 2010, 11:57 AM
Above poster: I'm kind of the opposite stance, you see I got the best 15'' from last revision hoping it would future proof me, but now the lowest 15'' is better then what I bought and is $900 cheaper. Better to just save that money and upgrade more often. IMO don't worry about the processor as it'll outdate fast, just get 8+GB of RAM (RamCity are good, very cheap and great quality) and a SSD or 7200RPM HDD if you want lots of storage at decent speeds but don't want to fork out for a 500GB SSD. Don't buy these upgrades with Apple though, they'll rip you off harder then a soccer-mom buying a laptop from Harvey Norman.

Buckleysg
19th December 2010, 06:21 PM
Hi all,

Could not wait any longer, took the plunge and bought a 27" 29.3Ghx machine, top of the range. Apple in Doncaster matched the 10% discount offered by JbHi Fi.

This was soooooo easy to set up. Now there is so much to do.
Just wrapt to get it.

And the boys won in Perth. Great day so far.

WhyNotKenny
19th December 2010, 08:07 PM
Enjoy....

make sure you check out the sticky threads in the new mac users, will help with the transition....

first thing's first - get a "right click".... :)